BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That wiki article said they get at best about 60% absorption of alcohol to sugar by weight, so for every 3 parts alcohol you'd have 5 parts sugar to process.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Much thanks, I now have a vague grasp of the magic involved.

Agreed on the sugar thing. As a mead brewer I have to use a minimum of two parts of sugar for ever part of alcohol I expect to get. The pre-brewing must (sugar/water mix) is VERY sweet and sugar filled as a drink. By your explanation it sounds like easily more than double the mass of sugar to alcohol is required for this powder... That is a lot of sugar in a drink.

That wiki article said they get at best about 60% absorption of alcohol to sugar by weight, so for every 3 parts alcohol you'd have 5 parts sugar to process.

That's actually not as bad as I was thinking.

Still, at 5% alcohol, that would be a really sweet drink. At 10% it would be liquid cake (like Mead must).

In before the diabeeetus lawsuit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Still, at 5% alcohol, that would be a really sweet drink. At 10% it would taste like liquid cake pie (like Mead must does).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Much thanks, I now have a vague grasp of the magic involved.

Agreed on the sugar thing. As a mead brewer I have to use a minimum of two parts of sugar for ever part of alcohol I expect to get. The pre-brewing must (sugar/water mix) is VERY sweet and sugar filled as a drink. By your explanation it sounds like easily more than double the mass of sugar to alcohol is required for this powder... That is a lot of sugar in a drink.

Still, at 5% alcohol, that would be a really sweet drink. At 10% it would taste like liquid cake pie (like Mead must does).

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Now put THAT into MRE's
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Now put THAT into MRE's
View Quote

What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#5]
This sounds awesome, especially the sprinkle on food part.
I suspect a huge jump in sales of these

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Since the weight of the alcohol is the same (more, with the encapsulating powder), what weight is this saving?  The bottle?

Plastic flask of PGA FTW!

View Quote

bro, do you even ultralight backpack?

water is heavy.  filter your water on-site, add lightweight powder, profit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since the weight of the alcohol is the same (more, with the encapsulating powder), what weight is this saving?  The bottle?

Do you even Science bro?       You're going to be hauling Alcohol, and sugar.      It's not magic.  

If you want lightweight ethanol, get Everclear.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do you even Science bro?       You're going to be hauling Alcohol, and sugar.      It's not magic.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even Witchcraft, bro? All I need is yeast.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#10]
The cruise industry is going to go broke.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The water.

Ultralight backpackers filter water onsite.  

Also falvoring and sweetener could be included in this powder mix.  Its not so much the idea of add water, get PGA, but rather, add water and have a complete cocktail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the Palcohol website:

1. Who created it? Mark Phillips. Click on the link above for information about Mark.

2. Why? Mark is an active guy...hiking, biking, camping, kayaking, etc. After hours of an activity, he sometimes wanted to relax and enjoy a refreshing adult beverage. But those activities, and many others, don't lend themselves to lugging heavy bottles of wine, beer or spirits. The only liquid he wanted to carry was water.

The water.

Ultralight backpackers filter water onsite.  

Also falvoring and sweetener could be included in this powder mix.  Its not so much the idea of add water, get PGA, but rather, add water and have a complete cocktail.

COCKTAILS?!?

I just take shots of PGA.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer Golden Grain.  I can get it 190 proof.

(PGA = Pure Grain Alcohol)

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carry kegs of homebrew camping.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've seen this stuff before. Don't ask me where, but I know it's existed for a while.
View Quote

right about here:

Using viral glass technology.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wonder if you can snort it.
View Quote

As it is, people tend to get dehydrated from drinking ordinary alcohol that's mostly water.

Can you imagine how dehydrated you'd get from ingesting alcohol that didn't contain any water?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Certainly doable.

What you have is a crystalline (solid) material that has a molecular "pocket" within it with functional groups facing inward to that pocket so that they can hold a molecule of ethanol in that space.  The ethanol doesn't bond to the carrier molecule, it simply coordinates to it via weak intermolecular interactions.  If you're familiar with the process by which detergent molecules coordinate around otherwise hydrophobic molecules and then allow them to be carried away by water, its a similar kind of idea.  Since the crystalline "cage" molecule is much larger than the EtOH molecule it traps, the overall coordination complex is still a solid material at standard conditions, thus a powder.

Upon dissolving the powder in water, the crystalline cage, which is a multi unit sugar and water soluble, dissolves and frees the EtOH molecule into the liquid.

One drawback to this idea I can see is that it won't be for the calorie conscius.  There is probably a lot of "sugar" molecule present per molecule of EtOH.

ETA: Reading that wiki article above, looks like tert-Amyl alcohol might be more effective at binding to the carrier sugar than ethanol, so this stuff might use that.  It has more potent inebriation effects so it seems compared to ethanol.
View Quote

This makes me depressed. Back in High school when I took AP Biology and Chemistry, I read a lot about sugars and I jokingly asked my teacher if it was possible to do such a thing as storing inebriating alcohols in that pocket and get them into powdered form and make powdered alcohols.

He was a moron and didn't know much of anything about chemistry or biology and told me he didn't know, so I didn't think anything of it past that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#17]
The dream was sure short lived.

"Powdered alcohol approval was an error"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/21/newser-powdered-alcohol/7960361/
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top