Quoted:

Why would you want to stop?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alcoholism isn't a problem with alcohol. Alcoholism is a problem living without alcohol.

Kind of exactly like what you just posted.

On the bright side, it's not Ebola.

I can stop whenever I want.  

Why would you want to stop?

Not that you probably really wanted an answer, but I'll bite.

Cause eventually, the alcohol doesn't work like it used to, the consequences start to pile up and the physical and mental torture begin to become intolerable. For some people, they just drink until they die.

Or as I witnessed last week, don't drink until they hang themselves. This will make more sense as I explain.

Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks—drinks which they see others taking with impunity.

After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again.

This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery.

AA's book describes the idea that there's an abnormal reaction to alcohol (allergy of the body) once I commence to drink, meaning that after a few drinks, I lose control of how much I'm going to take or where I'm going to end up. So I plan to "have a drink or two after work," which goes as planned for about 30 minutes, then once the alcohol reaches my system, I begin to drink with a fury, end up shitfaced by 9, titty bar till closing, calling in sick and so on. BUT, it also describes the mindset of the alcoholic when I'm NOT drinking like this above.(obsession of the mind) That bolded line is how I feel when I DON'T drink, which can only be relieved by taking a few drinks and then the drinking which goes predictably bad......

The tyrant alcohol wielded a double-edged sword over us: first we were smitten by an insane urge that condemned us to go on drinking, and then by an allergy of the body that insured we would ultimately destroy ourselves in the process.

This is what is referred to as the alcoholic dilemma. Sobriety is miserable and drinking is painful and unpredictable.

restless
[rest-lis]

adjective
characterized by or showing inability to remain at rest:
a restless mood.
unquiet or uneasy, as a person, the mind, or the heart.
never at rest; perpetually agitated or in motion: <--------- My personal favorite. Perpetually. agitated....it feeds itself.

irritable
[ir-i-tuh-buh l]

adjective
easily irritated or annoyed; readily excited to impatience or anger.

discontented
[dis-kuh n-ten-tid]

adjective
not content or satisfied; dissatisfied; restlessly unhappy:

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top