BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striped_bass

Stripers are anadromous and are quite common in freshwater reservoirs around the country.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:What is a landlocked river?

Guessing a river with a dam that doesn't have fishladders.

Me too.  I was hoping to get a fishing expert's opinion and details.  Like: 1) Can parts of the same river be landlocked and other parts, not.  2) Does landlocked mean saltwater fish are proven to be unable to get in, or proven to be unable to go back and forth, or, are landlocked rivers assumed to be closed to saltwater fish?  3) Is a dam with a lock system considered to be the same as a dam with a ladder?  Etc..  

I guess I'm really wondering how strong the word "landlocked" in the record's description or category.  

Cant leave to spawn.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
" the Black Warrior River near the Gorgas Steam Plant"

MUTATION!!!!

Warm water lakes are great for big bass.  Biggest largemouth bass I've ever caught have been on power plant lakes (Fork, Monticello, etc).  Water temp is in the 90's during the summer and the first get BIG.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#5]
DAT BASS

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#6]
For something that big, do you use a kitten cat for bait or what?
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How come it looks like it has a beer belly? Do all fish of that type have that?

Pre-spawn, full of eggs
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Hook or noodling?
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#9]
my first thought was: that's a salty that made it's way upstream. but, it would have to have made it's way up through 6 locks....
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hook or noodling?

Rod/reel, 30lb test.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#12]
How old is a fish that size?
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Holy...
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#14]
ive heard stories of catfish as big as vw beetles in some of the lakes of central and northern AL, crazy to think it didnt snap the line or the fishing pole
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
who fishes fresh water with 30 lb test....

We go after 100 pound blue cats here. 30 pound test is considered light.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#16]
FUCKING HELL!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#17]
There used to be an old guide ( McCintlock ? ) who left the TVA reservoirs to fish the coastal rivers in Virginia or North Carolina.

I'm pretty sure I've seen photographs of him with longer, Summer time Stripers, but apparently this one is heavier.

Dude used to throw heavy jerk-baits with great success.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Tough to determine with any precision; however, according to this chart of New England fish, based on length it would be 15 years old while the weight would indicate closer to 20 years.  Though I don't know what effect a landlocked developement and different locale would have on those numbers.
http://www.stripersurf.com/ageweight.html#CHART
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

are we still talking about fishing
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
ive heard stories of catfish as big as vw beetles in some of the lakes of central and northern AL, crazy to think it didnt snap the line or the fishing pole

Me too!  

An urban A country legend goes that a TVA diver, inspecting Wilson Dam on his first day on the job, came back up so quickly that he would have had just enough time to get to the bottom of the deep side...he came back up because he couldn't handle the catfish that are bigger then men.  He quit on the spot.  

^^^^ Ever heard that one?  

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#21]
homersimpsondrool.jpg
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too!  

An urban A country legend goes that a TVA diver, inspecting Wilson Dam on his first day on the job, came back up so quickly that he would have had just enough time to get to the bottom of the deep side...he came back up because he couldn't handle the catfish that are bigger then men.  He quit on the spot.  

I've heard the same story just about every time I've dived near a dam.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#23]
This is the IGFA record for stripped bass caught in salt water.

Greg Myerson
IGFA World Record Striped Bass
IGFA Saltwater World Records   US State Record Striped Bass

Official IGFA All Tackle World Record — 81 lbs 14 oz (37.14kg)
Greg Myerson — August 4, 2011 — Long Island Sound, Westbrook, CT
Live Eel on 60-pound fluorocarbon leader with 6/0 octopus hook.
Time Required to Boat Fish: 20 Minutes
Tackle: 6-½ foot St. Croix tuna rod with roller guide tip — Quantum Cabo reel — 50-lb. Berkley Gorilla Braid
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

are we still talking about fishing

Yup, I don't ask and you don't tell.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Holy shit
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#26]

I hope I'm not the only one to get that...
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#27]
thats a nice fish.

although I find it difficult to allow an introduced and landlocked species as an igfa record.  The east coast offers up fish whereby 40s are common, 50's are heard of, and some sixties get caught every year, in a natural enviornment (minus the moratorium in the 80s)

When stripers get introduced into waters for sportfishing, and have no predators and get to eat shad all day, and are in resevoirs/power plant discharges they should not qualify for records. If any of you all are from va, you know about the nuclear trout, same principle, except imagine those fish coudln't get out.

Between it being prespawn, and the obvious poundage of shad in her belly it would be interesting to see what she really weighed out to, she's not very long, or really has big shoulders but the belly is definatley distended giving off the girth.  

Don't get me wrong though, nice fish.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
thats a nice fish.

although I find it difficult to allow an introduced and landlocked species as an igfa record.  The east coast offers up fish whereby 40s are common, 50's are heard of, and some sixties get caught every year, in a natural enviornment (minus the moratorium in the 80s)

When stripers get introduced into waters for sportfishing, and have no predators and get to eat shad all day, and are in resevoirs/power plant discharges they should not qualify for records. If any of you all are from va, you know about the nuclear trout, same principle, except imagine those fish coudln't get out.

Between it being prespawn, and the obvious poundage of shad in her belly it would be interesting to see what she really weighed out to, she's not very long, or really has big shoulders but the belly is definatley distended giving off the girth.  

Jealous?
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Gonna need a sack of cornmeal and the extra large skillet for that bad boy.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
thats a nice fish.

Jealous?

no not really.  I've caught a few fish in my days...
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted: I didn't even know it was possible to get that big.
Have you not viewed any Godzilla movies?
What does that thing eat? Dogs that swim in the river?
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

People fishing for 40lb catfish?
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I love this part:

Bramlett used a Mustad 6.0 hook, Ambassador 7000 reel, a catfish Ugly Stik rod with Berkley Big Game 30 pound test line to catch the fish of a lifetime.

Payday!

If he was smart he would have told them about the Chevy 2500HD that was towing his Ranger/Skeeter bass boat.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
...landed a 70 pound striped bass from the Black Warrior River...

The catch may become the new IGFA world record for a landlocked stripe bass.  

What is a landlocked river?  Alabama ain't even a landlocked state.  

In the context of the article, what does "landlocked" mean?  

25 years ago, catching 40 pounders seemed to be routine, and so, I would have gussed the WR would be much bigger than 70 lbs.  

It's certainly a big-ass fish.  I'd be proud of it.

Stripers are anadromous, just like salmon.  Turns out, however, they can live and reproduce without a trip to the ocean.  Stripers have been trapped behind dams under construction and/or introduced into reservoirs and can't migrate to the sea.  Hence, landlocked.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Killing fish is evil.  Just ask that fat guy on that boat in the war with them japs.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tough to determine with any precision; however, according to this chart of New England fish, based on length it would be 15 years old while the weight would indicate closer to 20 years.  Though I don't know what effect a landlocked developement and different locale would have on those numbers.
http://www.stripersurf.com/ageweight.html#CHART

Have seen folks age otiliths of stripers over 50# up to and over 30 years.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow, what a monster.
When I lived in Bama I was not that far from this area, also worked on that power plant.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#40]
nice, I've always wanted to go striped bass fishing in Lake Cumberland when we go houseboating, but drinking gets in the way  
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too!  

I have a good friend that is a underwater welder. He supervises a crew that does work on dams, nuke plants etc... I asked him about those giant catfish, he said "Nope"

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

People that dont fish for perch
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Ky's record is 58+ lbs caught by roger foster on Lake Cumberland back in '85, still a state record, freshwater too..

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top