Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 50
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I hit it. Will try to get others too.

Has anybody contacted their congress critter? Has anyone contacted 2A friendly congress critters outside of their own voting district???
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How do you figure? It will be more difficult but not impossible...unless I missed something??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about transfers to Corporations?

Just wondering if that could be a work around if this is implemented.

All fictitious entities.

Trust, corporation, LLC, LLP, LP, you name it. CLEO signature required for all.

It's buried somewhere in the language of the proposal, but it's there.  If this thing gets implemented, say goodbye to anything NFA

How do you figure? It will be more difficult but not impossible...unless I missed something??

It makes it impossible for those of us who live in jurisdictions where CLEOs will not sign off.  The bad thing is, that's the majority of counties/ municipalities.  Most CLEOs will simply refuse to sign off regardless of who you are, while some will only sign off if you have been vouched for, you know them personally, or you've made some sort of campaign contribution to them.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
if this was 1774 we would cut our barrels down and say FU come and take them..
View Quote

...but unfortunately, times have changed.

Does anyone know a moderator who can pin this?

I've tried messaging a few, but I haven't heard anything yet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It makes it impossible for those of us who live in jurisdictions where CLEOs will not sign off.  The bad thing is, that's the majority of counties/ municipalities.  Most CLEOs will simply refuse to sign off regardless of who you are, while some will only sign off if you have been vouched for, you know them personally, or you've made some sort of campaign contribution to them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about transfers to Corporations?

Just wondering if that could be a work around if this is implemented.

All fictitious entities.

Trust, corporation, LLC, LLP, LP, you name it. CLEO signature required for all.

It's buried somewhere in the language of the proposal, but it's there.  If this thing gets implemented, say goodbye to anything NFA

i thought there is more then just the CLEO? like DA's and other people that can sign off?
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

i thought there is more then just the CLEO? like DA's and other people that can sign off?
View Quote

That's true, in some areas there are others who can sign.  But typically if the CLEO won't do it, it's damn hard to find anyone else that will, because they are all typically on the same page.  The bottom line is, this will make transfers that are legal and permissible in one county, illegal just across the county line.  It also makes business for the silencer industry much, much more difficult.

It's also worth noting that the CLEOs who simply sign off on transfers to people who are legally allowed to possess NFA items, are most definitely in the minority when you look at what segments of the population are effected.

Either way, it's a bad policy and should have loud opposition.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#6]
For those of you looking for information and phrasing to use in your comments, Prince Law has been covering this topic extensively on their blog.  They are going so far as to break down individual comments that have been submitted and provide suggestions for future contributors.  The ATF 41P discussion starts here, but continues on if you flip between the days:

Prince Law Blog
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hit it. Will try to get others too.

Has anybody contacted their congress critter? Has anyone contacted 2A friendly congress critters outside of their own voting district???
View Quote

That's definitely a good idea.

The first thing anyone should do is comment on regulations.gov

... again, we need a mod to tack this up!  c'mon now, we need to get this word out!
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried to post a firemission on this before and it wouldn't stay up. People just don't seem to be outraged enough.

I will be submitting comments in the coming weeks. We all need to sit down and make sure we understand the proposal before commenting. It is also important to attack it from a legal and feasibility standpoint rather than simply arguing that it is an infringement on our rights.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I tried to post a firemission on this before and it wouldn't stay up. People just don't seem to be outraged enough.

I will be submitting comments in the coming weeks. We all need to sit down and make sure we understand the proposal before commenting. It is also important to attack it from a legal and feasibility standpoint rather than simply arguing that it is an infringement on our rights.
View Quote

That's a good point.  I'll be collecting some of the good comments in the coming weeks and posting them back here.

If they won't pin this up, I'll try to keep bumping and commenting as much as I can.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For those of you looking for information and phrasing to use in your comments, Prince Law has been covering this topic extensively on their blog.  They are going so far as to break down individual comments that have been submitted and provide suggestions for future contributors.  The ATF 41P discussion starts here, but continues on if you flip between the days:

Prince Law Blog
View Quote

Another good suggestion.  I have been following this blog and it definitely has some good info.

Keep this thing going.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Done!

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I've messaged all the moderators on GD, still no response.

Could some of you help me get their attention and get this pinned?
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If they won't pin this up.....
View Quote

I'm not sure of this so don't take this as gospel, but I've gotten the hint from others who've tried advocating for suppressor stuff on this sight (outside the class III forum), have been ignored by the site owners and mods. There's a guy who was trying to get a thing like this going, his mission was getting the word out about the work they were doing to get rid of the CLEO sign off (before it came back). I don't know if they didn't want part of it because they felt it would bring undue attention or expose the trust process, or whether they consider us the black sheep of the gun community, I'm not sure. Just throwing it out there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Still reading comments before I compose my own.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LOL

No. The owners of this site love Class III stuff.
View Quote

OK thanks, that's good to know.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Signed.

What did you do for freedom today?
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not sure of this so don't take this as gospel, but I've gotten the hint from others who've tried advocating for suppressor stuff on this sight (outside the class III forum), have been ignored by the site owners and mods. There's a guy who was trying to get a thing like this going, his mission was getting the word out about the work they were doing to get rid of the CLEO sign off (before it came back). I don't know if they didn't want part of it because they felt it would bring undue attention or expose the trust process, or whether they consider us the black sheep of the gun community, I'm not sure. Just throwing it out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good point, and it definitely makes sense, but until one of them tells me otherwise, I'm going to try to keep spreading the word... and pray someone will see the light and pin it.

I don't mean this as a "gotcha" but this proposal doesn't just pertain to suppressors.  It's about SBRs and registered MGs too.  I understand the MGs are prohibitively expensive for most, but I know plenty of people with plans to get SBRs and/or silencers in the future.  

Besides, if they are worried about drawing attention to the trust process, what would they be worried about at this point?  ATF 41P is an indication that there is already attention on the trust process, and it's coming from people who are intent on making it go away.

I'm going to keep going at it, hopefully I can make a difference.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Numbers are far more important than persuasive arguments in this case.

A very simple "This is completely unnecessary and simply another example of overreaching to create solutions to problems that do not exist." is infinitely better than not doing something because of the lack of something elegant to say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like I said in the other thread about this.....someone write me up something halfway decent and I'll send it in.

A very simple "This is completely unnecessary and simply another example of overreaching to create solutions to problems that do not exist." is infinitely better than not doing something because of the lack of something elegant to say.

Agreed. I kept mine to 2 very concise sentences rejecting the proposals.  Others have already covered the major points with more eloquence than I could.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Relax. Tacks kill threads. Worry about the message, not the tacks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've messaged all the moderators on GD, still no response.

Could some of you help me get their attention and get this pinned?

Relax. Tacks kill threads. Worry about the message, not the tacks.

I understand, and I appreciate the advice, but wouldn't it be helpful in spreading the word?

I'm just doing my part to reach out to anyone willing to listen.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nolo's thread is still active.

This site loves suppressors.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Too many people completely ignore tacked threads. You're to new to know that even you will ignore them after a while. The best way to kill an active thread is to tack it. Tack them after they fall off of the first 10 pages.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just doing my part to reach out to anyone willing to listen.

Too many people completely ignore tacked threads. You're to new to know that even you will ignore them after a while. The best way to kill an active thread is to tack it. Tack them after they fall off of the first 10 pages.

Gotcha.  Appreciate it, guess I'll be back to pleading for tacks in about a week...
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow, the more I read about this proposal the more fucked-up it sounds.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wow, the more I read about this proposal the more fucked-up it sounds.
View Quote

To anyone with half a brain, it's blatantly clear that this is a case of we won, they lost, now they are going to use any obscure procedure they can to stick a thumb in our eye.

It won't prevent crime.
It won't curb gun violence.
It's just going to kick around they NFA crowd because they think they can get away with it.

But sadly, those details are lost on the minds of the Average American.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Agreed. I kept mine to 2 very concise sentences rejecting the proposals.  Others have already covered the major points with more eloquence than I could.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In that case:

The NFA approval process is already onerous and expensive, and the proposed rules changes will make it more so.

I use a trust so that my wife can legally have access to my NFA items. We took this extra step to ensure that we are in full compliance with the law.

Trusts are not a loophole being used by criminals, they are a tool used by law-abiding families and estate planners.

I'll get my wife to post a comment as well, since she is the other half of my trust.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Hit. Fuck this bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Hit
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Here's a quick flyer I threw together if you guys want to print it out and ask to hang it at your local range or gun shop.

Please, spread the word far and wide!  This cannot go unchallenged!

http://<a href=http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1623/h21v.jpg

View Quote

This is beautiful, and exactly what we need. Thank you.

I have posted this to facebook and tagged it with everyone I know who will sign it, and am encouraging them to share it as well.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Pin
View Quote

Thank you, I respectfully request that the leadership of this site keeps this topic up at least until the December 9th deadline.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Done
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#34]
done
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Just left my two cents. Enough is enough.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#36]
i posted my disdain for our atf. thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Fuck that noise. http://list.dickmorris.com/t/534244/2420741/4883/8/
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#38]
There are only 732 comments. A few on the first page were against our cause. The first one I clicked said trusts themselves should not be allowed.

ARF can do better than that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#39]
If the rich lose their loophole, we stand a better chance of undoing the illegal hughes amendment within a generation.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There are only 732 comments. A few on the first page were against our cause. The first one I clicked said trusts themselves should not be allowed.

ARF can do better than that.
View Quote

The number of comments are updated once a day, at 11:59PM

I will be curious to see how many there are tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If the rich lose their loophole, we stand a better chance of undoing the illegal hughes amendment within a generation.
View Quote

Fat chance.  While I wish that were the case, but once a right is taken away by the government, it is RARELY taken back.

I'd rather have SBRs and silencers on a trust than not at all.

Besides, with how castrated our society is nowadays, I highly doubt that the abomination referred to as the Hughes Amendment will ever be rolled back...

Oh well, here's to hoping...

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

out of

How the hell is this a rich person loophole? Everyone I know who is into NFA, of all economic means, use trusts or LLC's to better manage their collection. Take that class-warfare segregationist, 2A-undermining misinformation back to DU.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Added my comments, emailed a link to it to guys at work.

Hope our comments do some good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I am far from rich and I have a trust.

Hell, most people on here get them written for free.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#45]
President Obama wants to prevent gun crime. The types of devices and weapons that are covered by these trusts are simply not statistically relevant when talking about gun crime. Their usage in gun crimes is so close to zero, that it might as well be zero. All these proposed changes do, is put burdens on law-abiding gun owners, and in some areas will place de-facto bans on NFA items, due to the reluctance of CLEOs to sign the forms.

I am opposed to this rule-making endeavor, as it will in no way help reduce violent gun crime.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#47]
"Statistically indistinguishable from zero" is the line I like to use.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yep. The good ole BATFE pricks changed that part so that everything needs the CLEO/Fingerprint bullshit.

What, you thought they'd actually make something better for us???? hahahahahahahahahahah
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought the CLEO signature requirement was going away?  Did something change?

Yep. The good ole BATFE pricks changed that part so that everything needs the CLEO/Fingerprint bullshit.

What, you thought they'd actually make something better for us???? hahahahahahahahahahah

This.

As much as I dislike his delivery, he is correct.

This is a de-facto ban on all NFA items as the very next thing Zer0 will do is find a way to force all CLEO's to say no to transfers. No transfers, eventual loss through attrition.

This is the first chip off the 2nd Amendment because it is far and away the easiest. The NFA community is the smallest niche of shooting, so is the lowest hanging fruit. If *EVERYONE* doesn't stand up against this, the very next thing they're going to try to do is stop imports or re-evaluate the "Sporting Use' clause.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#49]
It wouldn't hurt to push the point that using cans do in fact an add to a gun owners safety by reducing the risk of hearing damage.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Keep in mind that anyone that doesn't want to comment on this and doesn't give a shit about NFA.  They tried to get semi autos onto the nfa list via Feinstein.  Get your comments on.

Sneak in the back door, change things to make it harder to register stuff, then bulldoze the front door so that its in the corner...
Page / 50
Top Top