BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because human agency is the heart of ethical action. Ethical action is the heart of civilization. Civilization rests on human autonomy. Once you remove ethics, you revert to the laws of biology, starting with the negation of autonomy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Abortion for the convenience of the mother is plain murder.

If heaven is wonderful, and babies are innocent and will go to heaven, where's the harm in sparing them a life on earth? Boom, straight from the womb to Jesus' arms. Isn't that a nice thing?

Because human agency is the heart of ethical action. Ethical action is the heart of civilization. Civilization rests on human autonomy. Once you remove ethics, you revert to the laws of biology, starting with the negation of autonomy.

Civilization and human matters aren't important though. A wise person is just spending a blink of an eye in this world, which is vanity and illusion. All that matters is beyond this world. The only thing of consequence that can happen in a lifetime is that a person throws away the love of God that he was born with. It's not ethical to risk a baby's soul like that for such an illusory return as civilization or humanism.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:45:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The biggest supporters of abortion are males 18 to 30...mostly because they duck an 18 year  [or more] obligation quite easily.
View Quote

People don't "Support abortion" People support pro choice. The GOP will continue to feel the pain from being anti-gay and pro-life.

inb4 ppl take this as how I vote
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:46:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are miscarriages (without any intent of the mother to abort) just part of God's plan? Does God's plan just include him killing babies (a sin)?
View Quote

Do you really believe this tripe...or do you just play the internet idiot?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:47:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You misunderstand at least the human requirement for the freedom of love.

I cannot control someone completely and demand they unconditionally love me. I am forced to choose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If heaven is wonderful, and babies are innocent and will go to heaven, where's the harm in sparing them a life on earth? Boom, straight from the womb to Jesus' arms. Isn't that a nice thing?

Following that logic why don't we just kill all the babies that know no better for they will be in Heaven?

What is up with these arguments.

Selfishness. We want the company of the babies so we doom them to a life on earth and the risk that they'll reject Jesus and damn themselves to hell.

Maybe it's the same kind of selfishness that God has, that makes him give us free will, thus risking our eternal souls.

If you love someone, you'd want to give them certain salvation. A guaranteed eternal life in blissful comune with their creator. And they'd thank you for it.

You misunderstand at least the human requirement for the freedom of love.

I cannot control someone completely and demand they unconditionally love me. I am forced to choose.

If a baby is miscarried or aborted, doesn't it go to Jesus? Are you saying the baby souls in Jesus' hand can't love him because they were never given a chance to be apart from him and autonomous?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:48:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

People don't "Support abortion" People support pro choice. The GOP will continue to feel the pain from being anti-gay and pro-life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The biggest supporters of abortion are males 18 to 30...mostly because they duck an 18 year  [or more] obligation quite easily.

label it how you want to...it doesn't change the end results.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Civilization and human matters aren't important though. A wise person is just spending a blink of an eye in this world, which is vanity and illusion. All that matters is beyond this world. The only thing of consequence that can happen in a lifetime is that a person throws away the love of God that he was born with. It's not ethical to risk a baby's soul like that for such an illusory return as civilization or humanism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't really understand the point of the" trolliness?" to your responses. Maybe you're just stirring the pot a little which is fine, I have no problem with it.

People aren't just throwing away the love of God but also the love for God which is what he desires. God has unconditional love for everyone so your attempted argument is invalid.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:52:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I know. It will continue to keep new people from joining the GOP.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:02:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aquinas, first among equals has answered your objection.

First, any life requires we first answer what is a "good life." You are presumptively not a bot. If you exist, you have obviously NOT chosen to self negate. You are existing towards some good. Thus, your existence negates your premise.

Both Aquinas and Aristotle argued to avoid bad and do good. Important here because while end states differ, the process is shared (this importantly removes post corporal reward.) Different reasons, but the same end.

Both Aristotle and Thomas argue for the power of human agency. You are making a converse claim, namely that a mother holds the power to negate another's claim to agency. A powerful, if completely unproven statement.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:03:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a function of cognitive dissonance.

Pro choice is allowing abortion.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:03:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:06:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If a baby is miscarried or aborted, doesn't it go to Jesus? Are you saying the baby souls in Jesus' hand can't love him because they were never given a chance to be apart from him and autonomous?
View Quote

I am smart, but I don't presume to speak for Jesus.

You are mixing two fundamental questions, one theological (the fate of the unborn) and the ethical requirement of human agency (a robustly human question independent of religion.)

We can only speak to the latter. What are the requirements of a good life?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:07:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever you want to call it. It's just another reason many young people won't vote R. Along with the anti gay bull shit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:14:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Whatever you want to call it. It's just another reason many young people won't vote R. Along with the anti gay bull shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's sad that that liberals succeeded chasing ethics out of the public square under the rubric of the "separation of church and state."

We've had multiple generations of people unable coherently create ethical argument, and we call it "freedom." JMO.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:15:08 AM EDT
[#14]
All I know is, three women friends who had abortions suffered emotionally crippling distress after they had the "cells" removed from their body. The emotional pain still haunts them years and decades later. Why such guilt if it was not taking a life?

Religious beliefs aside, isn't it a moral person's and society's responsibility to protect those who are defenseless? And who is more defenseless than a child in the womb?

Since a person cannot be the property of another person then how can a moral society condone one person choosing to terminate the life of another person?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:16:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You are mixing two fundamental questions, one theological (the fate of the unborn) and the ethical requirement of human agency (a robustly human question independent of religion.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:21:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Gotta be.  

But since I never miss an abortion of an abortion thread ( ), OP, you can't reason with the god squad.  

Pro-choice, and fuck anyone who wants to control other peoples bodies because of their brainwashed beliefs...
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:23:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My ex-wife left me, aborted my child, and sent me the bill.

As far as I'm concerned anyone who has an abortion can go to hell
View Quote

Holy fuck. That's an evil bitch.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:24:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why would you bother to argue from a position of the Christian theology when you clearly have no understanding of what that theology teaches?  

What is it about this place that sees the people who know the least about something speaking with authority on issues they clearly do not understand?

Psalm 127: 3

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward.  Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth.  happy is the man who has his quiver full of them; they shall not be ashamed, but shall speak with their enemies in the gate.

Matthew 18 2:-6

Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the middle of them, and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.  Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.  Whoever receives one little child like this in my name receives Me.  Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Matthew 18:10

Take heed that you despise not one of these little ones; for I say to you, That in heaven their angels do always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.

Luke 9:46-48

The a dispute arose among them as to which of them would be greatest.  And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a little child and set him by Him, and said to them "Whoever receives this little child in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me receives Him who sent Me.  For he is who is least among you all will be great.

Edit: I will be shocked if this isn't mentioned so I will go ahead and address it:   there are numerous examples of people being ordered to kill children (usually in conjunction with the sacking of new territory) or children dying at the hands of God in some act or another (the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, the Flood, Abraham ordered to sacrifice his son, the punishments inflicted upon the Egyptians, Joshua's wars, the state of Israel at war with other nations, Job's afflictions, etc).   The books of the Bible are pretty darn violent.  

Here are some of them:

Joshua 6: 6,7, and 20 (referencing the sacking of Jericho)

Shout for the Lord has given you the city. Now the city shall be doomed by the Lord to destruction, it and all who are in it.  Only Rahab the harlot shall live, she and all who are with her in the house, because she hid the messengers that we sent.  ...

So the people shouted when the priests blew the trumpets.  And it happened when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat.  Then the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city. And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old,  ox and sheep and donkey, with the edge of the sword.

1 Samuel 15

Samuel also said to Saul, "The Lord sent me to anoint you king over His people, over Israel.  Now therefore, heed the voice of the words of the Lord.  Thus says the Lord of hosts:  I will punish Amalek for what he did to Israel, how he ambushed him on the way when he came up from Egypt.  Now go and attack Amelak, and utterly destroy all that they have and do not spare them.  But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.  ..."

Isaiah 13:15 (the future sacking of Babylon)

Everyone who is found will be thrust through, and everyone who is captured will fall by the word.   Their children also will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses will be plundered and their wives ravished.  

Ezekiel 9

Go through the midst of the city, go through the midst of Jerusalem, and put a mark on the foreheads of the men who sigh and cry over all the abominations that are done with it.  

To the others He said in my hearing, "Go after him through the city and kill; do not let your eye spare, nor have any pity.  Utterly slay old and young, men, maidens, and little children and women; but do not come near anyone on whom is the mark; and begin t My sanctuary.

Hosea 9:  (Punishment for Israel''s sins including the punishment of miscarriages).  

Do not rejoice, O Israel, with joy like other peoples, for you have played the harlot against your God.  ...

...As for Ephraim, their glory shall fly away like a bird -- no birth, no pregnancy, no conception! Though they bring up their children, yet I will bereave them to the last man.   ...

Give them, O Lord --- What will You give?  Give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts!

Those are just the highlights; there are lots and lots more.   So, with all that in mind, do you see any patters emerging here regarding children?

While not absolute, blessed people tend to be blessed with children (Abraham, Job, etc) and the sinners who have displeased God tend to have their children taken from them (often violently).  

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#19]
"fuck anyone who wants to control other peoples bodies because of their brainwashed beliefs"

I agree completely with that statement, fuck pro choice and the left's brainwashing of women to control and kill a babies body.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:00:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
"fuck anyone who wants to control other peoples bodies because of their brainwashed beliefs"

I agree completely with that statement, fuck pro choice and the left's brainwashing of women to control and kill a babies body.
View Quote

Good for you sweetheart
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that argument, taken quickly to its logical ends, is that murder to anyone is fine.

the inability of the godless to understand that opposing infanticide isn't a specifically religious stand is why atheists are rightfully mocked.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If it's just a tissue, the mother should have no problem taking the "tissue" home with her and trowing it into the trash herself.

And IBTL
View Quote

If they do that makeup companies won't be able to buy it for use in their products.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#23]
In my twenties I was pro choice. I didn't like or want kids. I couldn't care for my own needs and would've been a curse to a child. I knew there were people that wanted to adopt but I also saw how many non-infants don't get adopted. There are unwanted children all over the world dying of abuse and starvation daily. Why bring another life into the world when we are not caring for the ones already here.  All that I could think of was relating it to the sad situation at the animal shelters. Thousands of animals passed over so people can get the "cute" babies they think they want only to dump them back off a couple years later.

At 40 a new friend and I were out for a beer and got into long deep conversation.  He talked a lot about his son and the love and pride it gave him. I talked mostly of regrets and how I would do things differently if I had another chance. He had made similar mistakes in his youth but said he wouldn't change a thing or else he wouldn't be where he was and he loved his life. He died later that night.

That changed me. That was last year. My son was born in January. He was the first baby I've ever touched or held. I was scared shitless. I Still am.at times. I've grown to love him more than I thought was possible. The mistakes of my youth do haunt me when I look at him and wonder about the child that isn't here.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I said:      "The availability of resources, real or imagined, is not the only reason humans kill their young and with very, very few exceptions (i.e. war, prolonged siege, etc), humans generally do not eat their young once they have killed them. "

Then I said:

"I thought making the point that humans kill their children for reasons other animals do not (to the best of our knowledge) was important given the fact the assertion was made that animals "do it for the same reason humans do it."

I also thought the fact that humans in the Western world do not, in fact, kill their children for the same resource issues you cited, was somewhat important."

Those statements seem to assert the same points to me.  

Human beings, generally, do not kill and eat their new born offspring due to lack of resources with lack of resources either meaning a lack of nutrients (i.e. the mother eats the baby to prevent herself from starving to death) or a lack of resources in general to rear the child until the child is of age to fend for himself/herself.

The only examples I know of that come even remotely close that do not involve freshly born young (as in the examples in the sources you posted) and those that I am aware of involved protracted sieges where the mothers/parents reluctantly killed and ate their young for survival (and I only have a few examples of that).   There are other examples where parents chose death rather than kill and eat their children or if they did eat their children only did so following natural death.

The point is not that it has happened or that it happens but that it is an absolutely not a "natural" occurrence to the human race.

Generally speaking a human mother who gives birth and is, herself starving to death, will not kill and then eat her baby to prevent herself from dying from malnutrition.  This aspect of humanity appears to transcend cultures.

Edit:  On the other hand, killing babies because you don't want to care for them, don't want them (i.e. born a girl when you wanted a boy, disfigured, etc) or expend the resources you do have?   This appears to be a human trait that transcends cultures throughout history in one form or fashion.

I understand that however my contention is that humans don't kill their offspring because of resource scarcity as a natural practice and the few examples I can think of where such a practice did occur are not typical of the human condition.   Edit:  as I said before:  killing the baby for another reason unrelated to "can I care for it" or "will I die if I don't eat it?"  Yeah; we have documented examples of that and I would wager a rather unhealthy chunk of abortions carried out today fall under the "I just don't want it" category.  

My point was that human beings, generally speaking, will do anything before they resort to killing and eating their young due to lack of nutrients which is completely different than what we see in some other animals within the animal kingdom.

Going beyond that to the issue of resources in general for the rearing of the child, again, the comparison between the examples in your sources did not match up with human kind (on average).     Even your NatGeo source demonstrated this difference with the humans working diligently to prevent the sloth from eating the last of her young to ensure the offspring survived.

In other words:  mankind appears to be simultaneously better and worse than what we observe in the rest of the animal kingdom.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Except that you made none of those points.

I said:      "The availability of resources, real or imagined, is not the only reason humans kill their young and with very, very few exceptions (i.e. war, prolonged siege, etc), humans generally do not eat their young once they have killed them. "

Then I said:

"I thought making the point that humans kill their children for reasons other animals do not (to the best of our knowledge) was important given the fact the assertion was made that animals "do it for the same reason humans do it."

I also thought the fact that humans in the Western world do not, in fact, kill their children for the same resource issues you cited, was somewhat important."

Those statements seem to assert the same points to me.  

Quoted:First, you did not refute that humans kill their offspring as a result of resource scarcity, real or perceived, and you did not offer any other reason for humans to kill their children.

Human beings, generally, do not kill and eat their new born offspring due to lack of resources with lack of resources either meaning a lack of nutrients (i.e. the mother eats the baby to prevent herself from starving to death) or a lack of resources in general to rear the child until the child is of age to fend for himself/herself.

The only examples I know of that come even remotely close that do not involve freshly born young (as in the examples in the sources you posted) and those that I am aware of involved protracted sieges where the mothers/parents reluctantly killed and ate their young for survival (and I only have a few examples of that).   There are other examples where parents chose death rather than kill and eat their children or if they did eat their children only did so following natural death.

The point is not that it has happened or that it happens but that it is an absolutely not a "natural" occurrence to the human race.

Generally speaking a human mother who gives birth and is, herself starving to death, will not kill and then eat her baby to prevent herself from dying from malnutrition.  This aspect of humanity appears to transcend cultures.

Edit:  On the other hand, killing babies because you don't want to care for them, don't want them (i.e. born a girl when you wanted a boy, disfigured, etc) or expend the resources you do have?   This appears to be a human trait that transcends cultures throughout history in one form or fashion.

Quoted:Second, I did not claim that humans only kill their offspring because of resource scarcity.  My only point was that animals do kill their offspring, because of resource scarcity, just like humans do.

I understand that however my contention is that humans don't kill their offspring because of resource scarcity as a natural practice and the few examples I can think of where such a practice did occur are not typical of the human condition.   Edit:  as I said before:  killing the baby for another reason unrelated to "can I care for it" or "will I die if I don't eat it?"  Yeah; we have documented examples of that and I would wager a rather unhealthy chunk of abortions carried out today fall under the "I just don't want it" category.  

My point was that human beings, generally speaking, will do anything before they resort to killing and eating their young due to lack of nutrients which is completely different than what we see in some other animals within the animal kingdom.

Going beyond that to the issue of resources in general for the rearing of the child, again, the comparison between the examples in your sources did not match up with human kind (on average).     Even your NatGeo source demonstrated this difference with the humans working diligently to prevent the sloth from eating the last of her young to ensure the offspring survived.

In other words:  mankind appears to be simultaneously better and worse than what we observe in the rest of the animal kingdom.  

Ah, I think I see why you're still not getting it.   You think women primarily have abortions for reasons other than resource scarcity, and you some how got the notion that that includes eating the child.

I never said that humans eat their young.  I said humans and animals kill their offspring out of resource scarcity, real or perceived, after someone in this thread made the bold claim that animals do not kill their offspring.

Humans in the Western world abort their children primarily because of resource scarcity.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#25]
First off, i will state that i am pro choice, and not religious.
View Quote

Stopped reading after that.

All I need to know is that OP really doesn't give a shit about his question.

ETA:

And he hasn't been back.

Go figure.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
snip

Humans in the Western world abort their children primarily because of resource scarcity.

View Quote

wrong...the vast majority of abortions  [nearly all] are committed simply for convenience.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Just ask the doctors or the blobs of tissue:

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The purpose of life is to experience and reciprocate love.

Love requires free agency.  Most importantly, enough agency to make the willing choice to make sacrifices for others, among other things.

Which is the more loving, self-sacrificial action?  To kill your child?  Or to care for them?

You've already connected all the other dots.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

wrong...the vast majority of abortions  [nearly all] are committed simply for convenience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Consider this, money, time and effort are all limited resources.  Each of has a different amount of these things, a different perception of what is available, and different perception of the value of each of those things.  

What you call convenience is a matter of resource allocation.  Thus, neither of us is incorrect.

If you don't believe that that is the case, give me one example of abortion solely for the sake of convenience that isn't a question of resource allocation.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Consider this, money, time and effort are all limited resources.  Each of has a different amount of these things, a different perception of what is available, and different perception of the value of each of those things.  

What you call convenience is a matter of resource allocation.  Thus, neither of us is incorrect.

If you don't believe that that is the case, give me one example of abortion solely for the sake of convenience that isn't a question of resource allocation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

"I wanna fuck like a bunny...but I don't want the responsibility that comes with such behavior"
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

"I wanna fuck like a bunny...but I don't want the responsibility that comes with such behavior"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Attending to those responsibilities entail the expenditure of limited resources, such as time and money, do they not?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ah, I think I see why you're still not getting it.   You think women primarily have abortions for reasons other than resource scarcity, and you some how got the notion that that includes eating the child.

I never said that humans eat their young.  I said humans and animals kill their offspring out of resource scarcity, real or perceived, after someone in this thread made the bold claim that animals do not kill their offspring.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Resource scarcity, in the animal kingdom, is basically speaking about at least one of two different things:  

(1) The scarcity of immediate resources needed to live such as the nutrients and sustenance that keeps us alive.   Animals eat their newborn for this reason all the time.  This is even touched upon in one of the sources you referenced in one of your previous posts.

"It can seem unnatural," Barthel says, "but there are reasons. They might sound cold to us, but they're simple—and they have to do with resources."

Indeed, mother bears, felines, canids, primates, and many species of rodents—from rats to prairie dogs—have all been seen killing and eating their young. Insects, fish, amphibians, reptiles, and birds also have been implicated in killing, and sometimes devouring, the young of their own kind.

When mammalian mothers give birth, they must begin nursing their infants—something they can do only if they're healthy and well nourished.

But if, for instance, a mother bear in the wild gives birth to unhealthy or deformed cubs, or is unable to find enough to eat, she will typically kill and consume them.

"They become a resource, one she can't afford to waste," Barthel says.

A mother bear—or lion or wild dog—does the same if she can't nurse her cubs or find food for them. And if one of her cubs dies, she'll most likely eat it immediately, as Khali did. This nourishes her and has the added benefit of removing the carcass.
"That way there's nothing rotting in her den which might attract predators," Barthel says.

As reasonable as these decisions sound, there's still something profoundly upsetting about the deed—so much so that even biologists used to regard it as a pathological behavior. In some cases, depending on the circumstances, they still do.

I am not aware of any examples from history of new born babies being killed and eaten immediately after birth to provide immediate relief from malnutrition.   Did it happen?  Possibly but I am not aware of any cases.  

There are, however, a hand full of examples from history where young children and infants were cannibalized.  One of the more famous examples involves Roman soldiers during the sacking of Jerusalem under Titus when they walked into a house and found a half roasted infant on a spit.   I cannot recall if the child was murdered or if it died of natural causes.   I do recall the Romans were particularly mortified at this find which is saying something given that the Romans themselves committed infanticide.

Historically, human beings have gone out of their way to do anything they could before resorting to killing and/or eating their young even to the point where people have chosen to die themselves rather than engage in the gruesome task.  

With that said, there are numerous examples of infanticide for other reasons unrelated to resource allocation that go all the way back to antiquity including a variety of reasons ranging from warfare to "I just don't want it."  

(2)  The scarcity of resources in the environment in general.   In this case the baby or the parents could die from a lack of resources due to the child exceeding the carrying capacity of the existing environment however there is no immediate threat of death.     In humans this is often conveyed through the concept of overpopulation and has been formally adopted by a few countries such as China and India (with China taking more extreme measures to address the issue).

This argument is nonsense as the world has the resources, currently, to feed the people we have (corruption and misallocations of existing resources not withstanding).  

That argument used in the Western world (such as the United States) is even worse as there are people, groups, and businesses lining up with the resources to take, care for, and raise those children if only the people would give birth and hand them over.  

If a woman gives birth in the USA and does not have the resources to care for that child and that child is on the brink of death, there are people standing by willing to take that child to provide those resources.

Even worse there are programs at the Federal, State, and sometimes local level that exist to provide for people just like that woman who take YOUR money and MY MONEY to ensure she has the resources to care for that child.

Therefore there are no abortions in the Western world and certainly not in the USA that are related to resources.   Now you may have a person who has an abortion and uses that argument for justification however simply saying "I am not ready for it" is not a legitimate argument in my opinion and certainly isn't related to the issue of the abundance of resources or the lack thereof.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are pregnant with a child and that child is a girl.   You want a boy.   You abort the baby, not because of a question of resources, but based upon the sex of the baby.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Just want to get in before the thread is aborted.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't really understand the point of the" trolliness?" to your responses. Maybe you're just stirring the pot a little which is fine, I have no problem with it.

People aren't just throwing away the love of God but also the love for God which is what he desires. God has unconditional love for everyone so your attempted argument is invalid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not trying to be trolly. The tipsy OP made a thread about some of his musings and I'm just following in the spirit of it with musings of my own.

If God loves everyone so much that all will go to heaven even if they reject him, then yes, my questions are answered. I'm asking in the context of a world where the unborn go to heaven and if one rejects God, one is denied heaven upon death.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You are pregnant with a child and that child is a girl.   You want a boy.   You abort the baby, not because of a question of resources, but based upon the sex of the baby.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  That would be an instance of killing a child that does not involve any resource allocation.  That is an example of pure selfishness.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I agree.  That would be an instance of killing a child that does not involve any resource allocation.  That is an example of pure selfishness.
View Quote

[Insert 3,000 word response here just to say I agree]

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This argument is nonsense as the world has the resources, currently, to feed the people we have (corruption and misallocations of existing resources not withstanding).  

Resources are not evenly distributed amongst individuals, and food is not the only resource that an individual has to allocate

That argument used in the Western world (such as the United States) is even worse as there are people, groups, and businesses lining up with the resources to take, care for, and raise those children if only the people would give birth and hand them over.  

If you think that carrying a pregnancy and giving birth do not require the expenditure of resources that only the mother has, then we cannot agree.

If a woman gives birth in the USA and does not have the resources to care for that child and that child is on the brink of death, there are people standing by willing to take that child to provide those resources.

See my above comment.

Therefore there are no abortions in the Western world and certainly not in the USA that are related to resources. They are all related to resource allocation with the exception that you noted below, gender selection.  Even so,  an argument could be made that it still involves resource allocation. I just don't want to get into that line of argument, because it is even more callous than the one I'm making right now.   Now you may have a person who has an abortion and uses that argument for justification however simply saying "I am not ready for it" is not a legitimate argument in my opinion and certainly isn't related to the issue of the abundance of resources or the lack thereof. It is a legitimate argument, and it is one based on how that person desires to allocate his/her resources.

View Quote

You're making an argument based on emotion, and there's nothing wrong with that, but if you cannot exclude emotional attachments for just a moment, you'll never see that abortion is nearly 100% about resource allocation.  It's not as simple and direct as a link as you seem to want to be forcing it into, but it is the basis.

Let's bear in mind that we got to this point, because somebody wrote something to the effect of,"humans are awful, not even animals kill their young."  I was simply trying to refute that specious notion by pointing out that not only do animals kill their young, they do it primarily for the same reason humans primarily do it, resource allocation.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

First, any life requires we first answer what is a "good life." You are presumptively not a bot. If you exist, you have obviously NOT chosen to self negate. You are existing towards some good. Thus, your existence negates your premise.

Both Aquinas and Aristotle argued to avoid bad and do good. Important here because while end states differ, the process is shared (this importantly removes post corporal reward.) Different reasons, but the same end.

Both Aristotle and Thomas argue for the power of human agency. You are making a converse claim, namely that a mother holds the power to negate another's claim to agency. A powerful, if completely unproven statement.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aristotle is irrelevent because he's a heathen. It seems to me that Aquinas was just trying to make the best of what he had, what we all have, which is a life on earth. Since suicide is a sin, it's not an option, so anyone trying to be good and please god and grow is doing the right thing.

How does a mother not hold the power to negate another's claim to agency? You can argue that she doesn't have the right, but she certainly has the power. God holds the same power, but chooses not to exercise it because it doesn't suit his purposes to do so.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: I'm no fan of abortion, but I'm not a hard line pro-life guy either.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm assuming the unborn go straight to heaven. Assume with me for the purpose of this argument. If they don't, then my argument completely falls apart.

My argument is that agency isn't necessary. That a creature devoid of will doesn't love god any less and that the meaning of existence (whether there is "life" in the corporeal sense) is to be close to god and love him and be loved by him in heaven. That will and agency bring no good and only bad  and incarnation is a risk and a curse to the soul who must slog through this vale of tears separated from his creator and possibly lose sight of him and be damned for all eternity.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
All I know is, three women friends who had abortions suffered emotionally crippling distress after they had the "cells" removed from their body. The emotional pain still haunts them years and decades later. Why such guilt if it was not taking a life?

Religious beliefs aside, isn't it a moral person's and society's responsibility to protect those who are defenseless? And who is more defenseless than a child in the womb?

Since a person cannot be the property of another person then how can a moral society condone one person choosing to terminate the life of another person?
View Quote

My friends who've had abortions are/were fine. My friend who miscarried had horrible guilt over it. I don't think that how a handful of individuals feel about something is a good indicator of whether it's ok or not ok. Some people feel ok taking a life, some people are torn up over things that aren't their fault.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media4.giphy.com/media/glIBaw98vDPdm/200w_d.gif

She's discussing philosophical arguments in a thread about philosophical arguments. Don't get your panties in a twist.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Why would you bother to argue from a position of the Christian theology when you clearly have no understanding of what that theology teaches?  

What is it about this place that sees the people who know the least about something speaking with authority on issues they clearly do not understand?

Edit: I will be shocked if this isn't mentioned so I will go ahead and address it:   there are numerous examples of people being ordered to kill children (usually in conjunction with the sacking of new territory) or children dying at the hands of God in some act or another (the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, the Flood, Abraham ordered to sacrifice his son, the punishments inflicted upon the Egyptians, Joshua's wars, the state of Israel at war with other nations, Job's afflictions, etc).   The books of the Bible are pretty darn violent.  

Here are some of them:

Those are just the highlights; there are lots and lots more.   So, with all that in mind, do you see any patters emerging here regarding children?

While not absolute, blessed people tend to be blessed with children (Abraham, Job, etc) and the sinners who have displeased God tend to have their children taken from them (often violently).  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Psalm 127: 3

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward.  Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth.  happy is the man who has his quiver full of them; they shall not be ashamed, but shall speak with their enemies in the gate.

Matthew 18 2:-6

Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the middle of them, and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.  Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.  Whoever receives one little child like this in my name receives Me.  Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Matthew 18:10

Take heed that you despise not one of these little ones; for I say to you, That in heaven their angels do always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.

Luke 9:46-48

The a dispute arose among them as to which of them would be greatest.  And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a little child and set him by Him, and said to them "Whoever receives this little child in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me receives Him who sent Me.  For he is who is least among you all will be great.

Here are some of them:

Joshua 6: 6,7, and 20 (referencing the sacking of Jericho)

Shout for the Lord has given you the city. Now the city shall be doomed by the Lord to destruction, it and all who are in it.  Only Rahab the harlot shall live, she and all who are with her in the house, because she hid the messengers that we sent.  ...

So the people shouted when the priests blew the trumpets.  And it happened when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat.  Then the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city. And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old,  ox and sheep and donkey, with the edge of the sword.

1 Samuel 15

Samuel also said to Saul, "The Lord sent me to anoint you king over His people, over Israel.  Now therefore, heed the voice of the words of the Lord.  Thus says the Lord of hosts:  I will punish Amalek for what he did to Israel, how he ambushed him on the way when he came up from Egypt.  Now go and attack Amelak, and utterly destroy all that they have and do not spare them.  But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.  ..."

Isaiah 13:15 (the future sacking of Babylon)

Everyone who is found will be thrust through, and everyone who is captured will fall by the word.   Their children also will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses will be plundered and their wives ravished.  

Ezekiel 9

Go through the midst of the city, go through the midst of Jerusalem, and put a mark on the foreheads of the men who sigh and cry over all the abominations that are done with it.  

To the others He said in my hearing, "Go after him through the city and kill; do not let your eye spare, nor have any pity.  Utterly slay old and young, men, maidens, and little children and women; but do not come near anyone on whom is the mark; and begin t My sanctuary.

Hosea 9:  (Punishment for Israel''s sins including the punishment of miscarriages).  

Do not rejoice, O Israel, with joy like other peoples, for you have played the harlot against your God.  ...

...As for Ephraim, their glory shall fly away like a bird -- no birth, no pregnancy, no conception! Though they bring up their children, yet I will bereave them to the last man.   ...

Give them, O Lord --- What will You give?  Give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts!

Can you condense that into your point or argument? I can see that God wants us to have children and that he loves children and he wants us to protect them. I'm saying that this runs counter to their salvation though, assuming unborn dead go to heaven, of course.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

that argument, taken quickly to its logical ends, is that murder to anyone is fine.

the inability of the godless to understand that opposing infanticide isn't a specifically religious stand is why atheists are rightfully mocked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I were to murder a man, I might be sending him to hell the day before he would have found Jesus. Definitely not fine.

If I were to murder an unborn baby, I might go to hell, but that baby would go to heaven. Isn't that fine for the baby?

And if you'll google my name and "abortion" you'll find plenty of secular arguments.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Resources are not evenly distributed amongst individuals, and food is not the only resource that an individual has to allocate

If you think that carrying a pregnancy and giving birth do not require the expenditure of resources that only the mother has, then we cannot agree.

See my above comment.

It is a legitimate argument, and it is one based on how that person desires to allocate his/her resources.

You're making an argument based on emotion, and there's nothing wrong with that, but if you cannot exclude emotional attachments for just a moment, you'll never see that abortion is nearly 100% about resource allocation.  It's not as simple and direct as a link as you seem to want to be forcing it into, but it is the basis.

Let's bear in mind that we got to this point, because somebody wrote something to the effect of,"humans are awful, not even animals kill their young."  I was simply trying to refute that specious notion by pointing out that not only do animals kill their young, they do it primarily for the same reason humans primarily do it, resource allocation.
View Quote

I am not sure where it happened however I believe something was lost in translation here (which may be my fault).  I am not ignoring what you wrote (I just deleted another hefty post) however I want to go a different direction starting at the beginning to ensure we are on the same page.

Earlier, you made this claim:  "They do it for the same reason humans do it - resource scarcity, real or perceived "

Can you please provide an example of a human being having an abortion due to the issue of resource scarcity (real or perceived) and then describe the lack of resources justifying or used to justify that abortion?

I need a baseline here because I think you and I are operating off of two different perspectives regarding resource management.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Can you condense that into your point or argument? I can see that God wants us to have children and that he loves children and he wants us to protect them. I'm saying that this runs counter to their salvation though, assuming unborn dead go to heaven, of course.
View Quote

Did you see the parts where God ordered the killing of children?

Did you see the parts where the death of children or the lack of child birth is sometimes used as a punishment from God on certain parties?

Can you post any reference to any scripture that definitively states that unborn children are saved and go to heaven?

Furthermore can you provide an argument AGAINST mandatory abortions for all people seeing as allowing people to live would, apparently, allow the people the chance to suffer for all eternity when there could be a guaranteed ticket to paradise for all eternity?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
ETA: I'm no fan of abortion, but I'm not a hard line pro-life guy either.
View Quote

Oddly enough, I would say I fall into the same category.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Did you see the parts where the death of children or the lack of child birth is sometimes used as a punishment from God on certain parties?

Can you post any reference to any scripture that definitively states that unborn children are saved and go to heaven?

Furthermore can you provide an argument AGAINST mandatory abortions for all people seeing as allowing people to live would, apparently, allow the people the chance to suffer for all eternity when there could be a guaranteed ticket to paradise for all eternity?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Yes.

No. I'm just using the common Christian belief that aborted or miscarried babies go to Jesus.

I cannot. If I had the power to do that, and believed that I was saving the unborn from the risk of damnation, shouldn't I mandate abortion?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top