Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Poor old woman.
I hope she can really haunt them, really bad.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the world we live in.
View Quote

Yep. Don't ever forget it. Me, mine, I and not yours. Life gets cheaper by the day.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

now they can go to the flea-market and get shirts made with her face on it.
View Quote

I laffed

or maybe a tattoo

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Window stickers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Window stickers.

or maybe they have them already and have to cross out one

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Window stickers.

Stick Figure Family countdown or survivor.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They're right up there the f*ckers who treat the ER like a kennel for their elderly/demented relatives.  

They drop off grandma at the ER right before thanksgiving/christmas and promptly leave-town/disappear.  No phone number, no way to contact them, and you can't send grandma home even if there is nothing wrong with them.  

Happens every year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An elderly Puerto Rican/New York Rican woman came into the ER tonight by ambulance with no family.  She had a sudden onset of weakness.  Paramedics said the family was in a giant shouting argument about who should go to the ER with her since no one wanted to go.  Apparently everyone won, because no one came.  Sitting alone for a couple hours with no family to keep you company.    

She died 2 hours later.  

Don't ever fuck your mother over for Turkey.

They're right up there the f*ckers who treat the ER like a kennel for their elderly/demented relatives.  

They drop off grandma at the ER right before thanksgiving/christmas and promptly leave-town/disappear.  No phone number, no way to contact them, and you can't send grandma home even if there is nothing wrong with them.  

Happens every year.

No shit? That really happens?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]
My mother has been in the ER so many times in the past 6 months I've lost count. I still go be with her EVERY time until they move her upstairs. One night after I got off work I went with her and was up for 24 hours in the ER. You only have one mom. Fuck. She doesn't have anything of value to leave me when she's gone but I overheard her telling the nurse that she wouldn't know what to do without me and my wife and that means the world to me.  She didn't know I was there because the nurse was helping her to the bathroom and had the door pulled almost shut. Hearing that made me feel good and let me know that I'm doing right by her.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An elderly Puerto Rican/New York Rican woman came into the ER tonight by ambulance with no family.  She had a sudden onset of weakness.  Paramedics said the family was in a giant shouting argument about who should go to the ER with her since no one wanted to go.  Apparently everyone won, because no one came.  Sitting alone for a couple hours with no family to keep you company.    

She died 2 hours later.  

Happens every year.

Yup. Also, we haven't seen grandpa in a couple months so let's go to the home and see him, but he's a lot worse off type than we remember, better ship him off to the ER for a workup.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That tops my heroin OD at Grandma's this afternoon.
View Quote

Stay woke.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
That's an udder catastrophe.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She died 2 hours later.  

Happens every year.

Every fucking year. Extended family comes to visit grandma grandpa, find out they need a little more help to take care of them than a family pet. Simple stuff like a helping hand to walk around the house. Suddenly the family shows up to the ER with granny/grandpa in tow claiming a sudden weakness, shortness of breath and difficulty breathing. Mind you they haven't seen or talked to them all fucking year. Now this is a problem that has to be fixed right fucking now and we are incompetent retards because we can't wave a fucking wand and make them young again.

Now this will blow your mind. The granny/grandpa is on file as a DNR/DNI and some distant disowned grand-daughter/son brings them to the ER and says granny/grandpa now has dementia because they would never willingly agree to that sort of thing. So the DNR/DNI gets reversed despite the patient's objections and they bring in a lawyer and get their will changed.

Every year the ER and hospital gets used as a fucking baby sitter so the extended family can use their house as a damn hotel. They might stop by once and see how granny/grandpa is doing. Then we get the fucking riot act because we aren't doing enough and want to know why they are on observation. Well, maybe we are trying to get ahold of you and let you know they are ready to come home. There was nothing wrong, They are just getting old. Then they demand more testing and to call them back when something is wrong.

I've had to call security and adult protective services because of shit like that. I can go on for fucking days.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe she was a total bitch.
View Quote

She did raise them after all if she was the old lady of the family.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I tell all my friends and family best to not get sick or injured on weekends or holidays. Stuck with understaffed units and scarce on call docs.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The more I observe human nature, the more I appreciate my dog.
View Quote

This .
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep, and now they're probably fighting over her property
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
scumbags

I'll bet someone reached for her abandoned plate. "You gonna eat that?"
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#16]
People suck.  

Quoted:

Stay woke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay woke.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hate people.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My mother has been in the ER so many times in the past 6 months I've lost count. I still go be with her EVERY time until they move her upstairs. One night after I got off work I went with her and was up for 24 hours in the ER. You only have one mom. Fuck. She doesn't have anything of value to leave me when she's gone but I overheard her telling the nurse that she wouldn't know what to do without me and my wife and that means the world to me.  She didn't know I was there because the nurse was helping her to the bathroom and had the door pulled almost shut. Hearing that made me feel good and let me know that I'm doing right by her.
View Quote

Hospital visitation time is like DOING time.  But I'd do it until eternity to have my Mom back.

My Mom spent many days and nights in the hospital and I would work from her hospital room on my laptop.  I was there with her unless someone else wasn't and never regretted it a moment.

Mom passed the day after Easter in 2012.  I would give anything for 30 minutes with her to tell her thank you for all she did to me and how much I love her and miss her.

Even if the woman was the most awful woman in the world...she didn't deserve that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:59:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
that's fucked up.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:18:13 AM EDT
[#21]
How sad
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Worked a cardiac arrest at a residence years back on Christmas Eve.  Happened to look up while I popped open the first epi preload and see a family member walk past us with a plate of food, I was like .  While getting the bretylium ready (yea it was a while back and he was in fib a long time), I see the same guy walk past with another plate of food, then I was like.

Haven't had it happen in my family, but I'd like to think grandpa dying on Christmas would be enough to put the meal on hold for a bit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:11:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:15:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Happens every year.
View Quote

Hmm, I'm gonna have to remember this one.

I keed, I keed!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:21:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Did you get better?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you get better?

Norcan saves the day again.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:23:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's royally fucked up.
View Quote

Yes it is!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:26:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She died 2 hours later.  

Happens every year.

Yes.

I'll vouch for that.  It happens every Christmas (less so at Thanksgiving).  

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:44:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Fuck it.

Sometimes I don't know whats worse.  The hip hop shit bag culture, or the ISIS fucks we are importing....  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:44:56 AM EDT
[#29]
People die alone and afraid all the time with no one to mourn them.

Never understood why the holidays add some special relevance to this.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:49:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would give all the money in the world to have had my mom at the house for Thanksgiving dinner tonight. She lost her battle with cancer 2 months ago.
I have no words for people like the OP spoke of. None.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:52:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:54:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

She died 2 hours later.  

View Quote

Dude...what assholes.   Family is probably full of F/As/FSAs who will try to find a way to sue the hospital.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:54:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

If she were that bad then why attend a dinner she was present at?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:01:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:08:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tradition and betting on who would OD
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:17:47 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She died 2 hours later.  

Happens every year.

Yep, to special needs/behavioral health kids too.  I've seen that twice now
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:18:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She died 2 hours later.  

Happens every year.

My favorite one wasn't a holiday, it was just an example of how people treat EMS. Keep in mind this happened in a lily-white suburban part of northern New Jersey. Also keep in mind that the phrase "party not feeling well" means something between a hangnail and a (successful) suicide. Also keep in mind that if any bodily fluids get in the ambulance, we have to clean it out. At the time, we had to swab the whole thing out with a bleach solution.

So we get the dreaded "party not feeling well" call. It's grandma and her middle aged daughter is waiting for us in the living room with her own daughter.

"She has to go to the hospital."

"Okay, what's the problem?"

"She doesn't feel well." One of my crew did a physical assessment. Normal pulse, respirations, no guarding, patient nods but doesn't verbally answer questions.

"What happened to her?"

"She doesn't feel well." A lot of people lose the ability to articulate the issue when a loved one has a crisis. So you keep asking until you get an answer. That way you don't tell grandma to stand up when she broke her leg and you give her high concentration oxygen when she has a heart attack.

"Does she have a heart condition or asthma or something like that?"

"She's nauseous."

This gets to the question I would have asked first if the dispatch told me to respond to the home of the local retard.

"What happened that makes her need to go to the hospital in an ambulance right now?"

"We didn't want her to vomit in the car."
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:21:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

People die alone and afraid all the time with no one to mourn them.

Never understood why the holidays add some special relevance to this.
View Quote

In this case someone didn't have to die alone a afraid.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
Almost choked on my leftovers you ass.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

scumbags

Shots fired post coming soon

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:25:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whoa there...

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:34:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Whoa there...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoa there...

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:41:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Happens every year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

She died 2 hours later.  

Happens every year.

Ahh, the old "positive suitcase sign".
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:42:06 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I laffed

or maybe a tattoo

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I laffed

or maybe a tattoo

Do Puerto Ricans do this? I see it quite frequently in the Polynesians around here.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:06:11 AM EDT
[#45]
sounds sad but not every mom and/or grandma was a good parent

probably good reason they didn't show up
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:19:41 AM EDT
[#46]
I hate people. People suck.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:21:45 AM EDT
[#47]
A nurse I am close with tells me she has at least one patient on her floor every year around the holidays who says, "I don't know why I'm here. I'm not really sick. They just wanted to go away for the holiday and I'm too much work to take care of."
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:23:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Happens every year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She died 2 hours later.  

Happens every year.

I've yet to experience this, but I'm sure it's coming. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:24:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Could have been worse...they could have rolled into the ED, made her a full code (and made sure she was intubated), and then never come back to the hospital.  It happens more than you think, and the only time family does show up is if there are discussions about terminal weaning.  Of course then, they want to continue everything...just as long as a disability check is coming in.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:01:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Could have been worse...they could have rolled into the ED, made her a full code (and made sure she was intubated), and then never come back to the hospital.  It happens more than you think, and the only time family does show up is if there are discussions about terminal weaning.  Of course then, they want to continue everything...just as long as a disability check is coming in.
View Quote

She was a full code, and she was on welfare.  I doubt they don't have their own welfare checks to live off of.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top