Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:48:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's because all they do in prison is keep you from killing yourself or someone else. They don't work much to actually give counseling, rehabilitate, teach a new trade, etc.

They are stuck there. If we at least gave them a chance to better themselves, I think many people would.
View Quote

lol, you are a funny guy, what was your doc #?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:51:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes, $500. I put $50 to $100 a month on his commissary before he went to trial. He was having some medical issues and they would charge him a fee for hospital trips and medications. It got used up pretty quick.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
looking at the original thread, did you get money from Crime Stoppers for turning him in?

I agree with others here, he is a serial user/abuser of relationships and need to be cut off to fend for himself. the problem is he will go after other members of your extended family with letter full of tales of woe to scam them so make sure they do not fail into his trap of enabling his abuser status.

Yes, $500. I put $50 to $100 a month on his commissary before he went to trial. He was having some medical issues and they would charge him a fee for hospital trips and medications. It got used up pretty quick.

lol, you know he is lying to you about that..right?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:53:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
looking at the original thread, did you get money from Crime Stoppers for turning him in?

I agree with others here, he is a serial user/abuser of relationships and need to be cut off to fend for himself. the problem is he will go after other members of your extended family with letter full of tales of woe to scam them so make sure they do not fail into his trap of enabling his abuser status.

Haha, I don't think OP realizes that.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:55:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:56:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, OP, welcome to the world if sardonic cynicism.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That's because all they do in prison is keep you from killing yourself or someone else. They don't work much to actually give counseling, rehabilitate, teach a new trade, etc.

They are stuck there. If we at least gave them a chance to better themselves, I think many people would.
View Quote
You know!  Your statement above is just plain horse shit.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:59:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Some here might remember the story of my Brother and how he ended up in prison for robbery. He will be there until 2022.
I write, send pictures and money when I can. I also try to keep money on his phone account so he can call me every week or two. I told him in August that I was behind on bills, work was slow, and I would help as soon as I could.
Today I get a letter. In it is this paragraph:
I ask for so little compared to everyone else here. Most everyone gets money, packages, visits, mail and phone weekly. It's really hard without any of that shit. I see others with all this shit and it makes me want to take it from them. I'm trying to serve God, change my ways and stay out of trouble. It really makes me feel like no one cares if I make it or not.
The part about taking peoples shit has really upset me.
I have promised to help him when he gets out, as bad as I dread it, but now I don't think I can. He has no one else, but I just can't risk the bullshit that always comes with him being around. He hasn't changed and probably never will.
View Quote

First of all, you're an honorable person who did the right thing. It's hard to be honorable and serve your fellow man when it affects your brother. I followed your story before, and maybe I should have said something then, but I'm saying it now. I respect you for making a hard decision, one that many in today's society would avoid. Honor is a rare quality in a man in these times.

As you probably understand, your brother is responsible for his lot in life. He had to learn the hard way.

That being said, prison is a miserable place to be. Man needs his freedom. Being locked up and every day's actions being dictated by others, is a terrible situation to be in, but he chose, and his choices have consequences.

Do you feel that he has repented? I mean, truly repented? If so, then he is worthy of your pity. He is worthy of whatever you can give to reinforce his walk in the right direction.

He is NOT entitled to the fruits of your labor, taking from yourself and your family to make his lot in life easier. If he has truly repented, and you have the ability to make what little life he has a little more tolerable, then it is your choice to be charitable or not.

Unfortunately, it seems that you do not have the means at this time, and you should take care of yourself and your family first. If he has TRULY repented, he will understand that. If not, then why would you ever sacrifice for him?

A part of this may be educational, to help him to understand that his actions have put him in this situation, and while you want to help him out, we each have to take care of ourselves, our wives, and our children first. Any sacrifice for him is secondary to this.

If he has truly repented, he will understand, if not, and he pushes back after having that explained to him, then know in your heart that he has not changed, and grieve as a brother would for a lost brother. Perhaps he will understand some day.

Again I say, I admire you for being an honorable man. You have done nothing wrong. Be strong.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:00:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it is true, inmates "may" get charged for an "emergency " visit to a in-house clinic  "if" it is deemed they are malingering....they are not charged for any treatment...by law the treatment they receive must be to the standard that anyone in public would/could get (up to and including all dental work,  cancer treatments....ALL  on your tax dime  already)
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:02:03 AM EDT
[#9]
You should get this book. It helped my mother in dealing with her institutionalized brother.

http://www.amazon.com/Games-Criminals-Play-Profit-Knowing/dp/0960522603
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:11:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd suggest you attend a http://www.nar-anon.org/ meeting in your area.  Sounds like your brothers still a junkie even though he is clean.  It's a good organization for family members of drug and alcohol addicts.

Forgot you add I missed the original thread.  Just wanted to say you did the right thing.  Sadly some get to a point where the family can no longer help.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:29:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I feel for you. I have a son who is a pill head and is currently facing some time for 5 burglaries. I've finally decided to cut him out of my life. I just wish he would go to prison and screw up in there to get more time. The only time I have felt safe about leaving my home unattended is when he was in jail before his wife bonded him out. He has stolen from me, his step mother, his mother, his brother and sister. He even stole my grandson's birthday money. He's a piece of shit. I didn't visit him in jail and I won't visit him in prison. He can rot in there for all I care.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:30:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I would continue to write and send pictures and all of that but would not give him money except maybe small amounts occasionally. That shows you do still care about him it's just up to him to either realize that or not.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:42:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I abandoned a close friend ,in my teens, who was a convict.

He made it easy. He started writing my GF love letters when I missed a week.

Still though, I can't imagine being in prison with zero commissary $.

Brother? Tough fuckin call OP.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:48:30 AM EDT
[#14]
OP, I feel for you because it's a same story with my friend's brother. They will not change at all I'm sorry to say. He may be in prison but he's fed, have a bed and bedding, clothes, gets medical, etc etc. They have programs for the inmates if they wish to take 'em and prepare for the free world.

You have a life, now go live it. Not your fault what he did and he's going to con you for everything he can get. let it go and forget about him.

And this:

"I ask for so little compared to everyone else here. Most everyone gets money, packages, visits, mail and phone weekly. It's really hard without any of that shit. I see others with all this shit and it makes me want to take it from them. I'm trying to serve God, change my ways and stay out of trouble. It really makes me feel like no one cares if I make it or not."

That's most likely horseshit. They're there because they're convicted felons.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:01:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Change does have to come from within. But the right person or the right method can prompt a person to change.

For some who had no prospect before prison other than illicit activities, getting them a leg up on a trade might be an avenue for when they get out. Of course this won't work for everyone, but just putting people in a room won't make anything better either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, but I think most people have squandered lots of chances by the time they arrive in prison.  No amount of being nice will help.  Quite the opposite, it will only enable and encourage the manipulative behavior.  Change has to come from within the person.

Change does have to come from within. But the right person or the right method can prompt a person to change.

For some who had no prospect before prison other than illicit activities, getting them a leg up on a trade might be an avenue for when they get out. Of course this won't work for everyone, but just putting people in a room won't make anything better either.

Sure they do. Tell you what sport. One of the guys that killed my niece is getting out in 2019. He would have done life , but rolled on his buddies.  The life w/out  parole for what ever strike he had before killing her. Let me see...... Oh yeah that stint before he got out and killed my niece.....

let me think............................mmmmmmmmmmmmm oh yeah now i remember, that last stretch he did was for KILLING HIS GIRLFRIENDS KID

Like the homeless. Those who want and seek help shall receive. the rest of those fuckers.  too fucking bad, boo hoo, call a whambulance.

Now why don't you run along and get that petition for common sense gun laws going.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:05:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Tom,I know exactly what you are going through.I have two brothers in Fed right now for conspiracy to manufacture and distribute meth.
One doing 15 and the other doing 10.When they were busted and I found out what was going on I told them up front I would help them with money but I WOULD NOT make it comfy for them in there.They get enough money to by their hygiene and what clothes they need and enough to get some extra food but that's it.
I talk to them regularly and e-mail them back and forth,both have been there a little over a year now.They both know exactly how I feel about what they did,they don't like it but understand.
It sound so far like they might be learning something but time will tell.
Best of luck to you and your brother and I hope things work out for both of you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:12:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Randy said "It really makes me feel like no one cares if I make it or not." He is right. No one cares. He will not change until he himself cares. If he never cares, he will not change.
View Quote

And there's the rub, you can't help someone who doesn't want to help oneself.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:19:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He's shucking and jiving you, all inmates do it. I would just write him off.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:37:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow.

"Go fuck yourself" is the only response I can imagine to what he said.

His words reveal a world view that is beyond help.

He has the intellect of an 8 year old, who sees one kid with something he doesn't have, another with something else he doesn't have, and extrapolates that to "everyone except me has all of these things." But in fact, he has things those other people don't have, and many kids have none of it.

Then, he takes this perverse world view one step further, rationalizing that he is entitled to what they have. And thus you have the reason he is in prison. That's a long sentence for robbery, without reading the other thread, I can assume it was flagrant, and probably preceded by various other incidences of theft before he got emboldened to attack someone.

I see a dangerous mix of stunted maturity, intellectual shallowness, and selfishness - and one I would advise you to sever ties with. Blood is thicker than water, but can also be slippery as well and pull you down place you don't want to be. You owe him nothing, you have already gone out of your way to help him, and he has zero sense of gratitude. You are just one more member of the larger society that has something he wants and that he feels he is entitled to have.

Edit: As I read through this thread, it's almost amusing to see the flipside of the same sampling bias tendency I attributed to 8 year olds. And if there was ever a thread that shone a light to the lie we tell ourselves about how conservatives are interested in facts and logic, whereas liberals act on emotion, it's this one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:08:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow, so sad! I remember that thread.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:15:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I say put your foot down and let him decide whether he will be in your life under your terms or not.

Working in a prison, I see inmates try to manipulate us every day. It's the cos who are able to say no to their bullshit consistently that no longer have to deal with it. The inmates learn you arnt there to be fucked with quick when they refuse orders during chow time and thereby refuse their meal.
Do the same with your brother. Let him decide if there will be a relationship or not but make sure it's on your terms.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:18:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some here might remember the story of my Brother and how he ended up in prison for robbery. He will be there until 2022.

I write, send pictures and money when I can. I also try to keep money on his phone account so he can call me every week or two. I told him in August that I was behind on bills, work was slow, and I would help as soon as I could.

Today I get a letter. In it is this paragraph:

I ask for so little compared to everyone else here. Most everyone gets money, packages, visits, mail and phone weekly. It's really hard without any of that shit. I see others with all this shit and it makes me want to take it from them. I'm trying to serve God, change my ways and stay out of trouble. It really makes me feel like no one cares if I make it or not.

The part about taking peoples shit has really upset me.

I have promised to help him when he gets out, as bad as I dread it, but now I don't think I can. He has no one else, but I just can't risk the bullshit that always comes with him being around. He hasn't changed and probably never will.

View Quote
Part of the prison culture, what they can't steal from the prison , they steal from the inmates
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:31:40 AM EDT
[#23]
With the money you send him he fits into a hierarchy and power structure. It keeps them from going crazy. Those at the bottom of the pile are those who will lash out at the hacks and the other inmates. The more money he has the higher he is in the hierarchy. He needs protection, and sometimes you have to pay for protection either by paying off the hacks or other inmates. Be there for him, don't be abused by him, but don't abandon him. Hard time is just that, hard time. If he lashes out and ends up in a segregated unit like solitary, it can damage a person's psyche permanently. Drug abuse, alcoholism, and suicide are rampant in institutions
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:32:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I read the OP from this thread, the OP from the original thread, & the page 11 update in the original thread.
It seems that you already knew back in 2011 that you shouldn't have anything to do with him anymore...
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:33:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This... he's just trying to shame you into sending him more.  Pretty soon he's going to start telling you he has some medical condition that requires OTC meds that medical will not give him (of course, he can only get it off the prison commissary, you can't send it to him), then he'll move into more sordid tales.. (Being threatened unless you pay someone off, etc.)

Pretty much par for the course.. how you play is up to you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:35:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I say put your foot down and let him decide whether he will be in your life under your terms or not.

Working in a prison, I see inmates try to manipulate us every day. It's the cos who are able to say no to their bullshit consistently that no longer have to deal with it. The inmates learn you arnt there to be fucked with quick when they refuse orders during chow time and thereby refuse their meal.
Do the same with your brother. Let him decide if there will be a relationship or not but make sure it's on your terms.
View Quote
In your opinion is the family outside the institution who abandons an inmate healthy for all involved?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:52:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In your opinion is the family outside the institution who abandons an inmate healthy for all involved?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. But for some people there is no healthy solution at all.

In my suggestion, op would not be abandoning his brother. OP would be giving the brother the OPPORTUNITY to maintain a relationship. Anything that happens from that is on the brother.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:57:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In my suggestion, op would not be abandoning his brother. OP would be giving the brother the OPPORTUNITY to maintain a relationship. Anything that happens from that is on the brother.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just posters saying that OP should abandon his brother
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:02:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is absolutely true. Inmates do/say whatever they can to get what they want.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My opinion is that abandoning someone from the get go just because they are in prison can cause unnecessary harm, but I won't call someone out on it because every situation is different.

In this case though, op has already provided for him. At this point I see no harm in dropping him. OP has done everything he could have done and it's up to the brother how it will continue.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:07:27 AM EDT
[#31]
He is your brother Tom, only you can decide if he is worth it or not.

Hard for folks to change, and I imagine even harder for folks to change in prison--not exactly a lot of role models around. He sure hasn't changed yet, but people can and do all the time, all you can do is show them what they want to be.  If there were some way to call him on the BS guilt trip without being confrontational, show him that you can get what you want better (not quicker) with honesty, patience, and hard work, I would think that would be the best you could do.  Wish I had a specific plan to offer.

Best of luck, just remember you have to watch out for you and yours first.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:07:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Abandon?

Very drama. Much emotional.

It takes two to tango, but only one to enable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:17:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I would continue to write and send pictures and all of that but would not give him money except maybe small amounts occasionally. That shows you do still care about him it's just up to him to either realize that or not.
View Quote

Good advice.

OP, you've already spent years trying to fix your brother.  You can't fix him.  Only he can fix himself.  Unless he decides to change, anything you do to help him is just enabling him.  

Keep in touch with him but don't send any money.  He made the decisions that got him into prison, not you.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:34:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:41:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I remember and was hoping your thread title was wasn't referring to that situation. 2021 might be the year to move.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:45:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Sorry you gotta go thru this OP, but the smartass in me would be tempted to write him back and say "if your truly trying to serve God lets start with the basics like Thou shall not steal, or do not Covet et al. Anyway i was in a similar situation about 7-8 years ago with my older brother and when i finally cut him off i haven't heard from him since YMMV...
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Prison isn't supposed to be pleasant
Tell him to stop whining
He isn't on an overseas deployment
He is being punished for something he did wrong
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

[dk] lol [/dk]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#39]
That's rough. Some people can change, others never will.  For most people, prison makes them worse.  If it were my brother, I would help him once.  If he blew it, that would be it. He's on his own.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:10:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP, what's he in the slammer for?

Oh, and he's putting a guilt trip on you.
View Quote

Did you read anything ?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#42]
OK, childhood friend locked up for soliciting minor online. Cop posing as child in adult only chat rooms, he said it was role playing, didn't know etc. I never judged him, I was the only friend that motherfucker had left, I paid for a storage unit so his old lady could move his shit out, divorce him, ultimately remarry. Told him, as soon as he gets out, storage unit is his problem. Before getting out, told me he was going to live with me, nope
Told me to keep paying for storage until he finds a place, nope.
Tried to manipulate me, threatening to get me fired from my job, my girlfriend from her job, etc
Some friend. That motherfucker. Tried all the same shit first before the threats, 5 letters a week manipulation, then threats. He showed up here once, told him to get the fuck out and not come back. Haven't seen  him since.  I've been friends with this asshole since I was 13, and he tried to do this.
Write him off now, save the heartache
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Dear Bro,

I'll get back to you after our ski trip in December.

View Quote

LOL

I guess bro needs to learn responsibility fot his actions. It is nobodys fault but his and he isnt entitled to store money so he can buy candy bars. WTF did he think was gonna happen when he went to prison?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where did you learn that? College? You know nothing about prison, and if there aint shit to do and they are bored, its their own fucking fault. They shouldnt be entertained at our expense. Responsibility for actions and all that......
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Decisions and actions have consequences. He chose poorly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Send him a letter, saying I see you have not changed, etc. And a care package of soap on a rope. I had a POS uncle milk all the family until he tried with me, and I told the family to stop enabling him.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Start sending him weekly packages of stuff like tampons and ky jelly wrapped in pink paper soaked in perfume.

He won't want shit from you ever again.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#49]
When he gets out, set him a tent up in your yard. A solar shower with curtain and help him get a job. After a month if working and living in the tent he should have enough money to get an apartment or country house.

In the mean time, I would have a little talk with him face to face. He is your brother after all.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Its easy to say forget him, he is lost.

But I have never been in that situation before.
View Quote

i have been

my half bro is probably in jail somewhere now again

dont give a danm

but if you give a damn OP, good luck.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top