BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Page 2 doesn't pay taxes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#2]
EIC should be terminated.  You shouldn't be able to get back more than you paid in.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife and I paid in right at $24000 and got $1800 back.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ding ding, it  also taxes the trillion dollar black market of drugs, prostitution and under the table wages.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just change it to a 10% federal sales tax on EVERYTHING. No exceptions.

The more you spend the more you pay. Rich people spend more than poor people so it takes care of itself.

Also captures the illegal immigrant dollars spent and the foreign tourist dollar.

Ding ding, it  also taxes the trillion dollar black market of drugs, prostitution and under the table wages.

Actually, wouldn't a (much) higher sales tax spur an increase in black market activity and under-the-table sales? People in Wisconsin border towns often buy clothing in MN because MN has no sales tax on clothing. The general (government/elected official) rule of thumb is you tax what you want less of (from a behavior modification stand-point), which is why there are such high taxes on fossil fuels, cigarettes, booze, etc. But high(er) sales taxes are a double-edged sword because the government becomes dependent on the revenue generated from the sales at the same time they are trying to promote the high(er) taxes as a methodology to reduce consumption. But if the tax becomes to great you will lose a percent of the tax revenue from shift to the black market.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My wife and I paid in right at $24000 and got $1800 back.
View Quote

I paid 18k and I'm getting back 1k.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Anyone that gets back more than they paid is FSA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And every fucking one of them, believe they do pay taxes.  Fuck, most of them get back more than they paid in,
see the Child income tax credit.

If you're willing to include people on Medicare and Social Security (assuming they live long enough and most will), I agree.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We all know this, right?!?

Here is the data using 2015 numbers.

FULL STORY

The top 1 percent of Americans, who have an average income of more than $2.1 million, pay 43.6 percent of all the federal individual income tax in the US; the top 0.1 percent — just 115,000 households, whose average income is more than $9.4 million — pay more than 20 percent of it.
View Quote

the top 1% of wage earners have an AGI of at least $440,000  (follow link to see where you stack up)

View Quote
I think you will find that the rich pay far less than you have stated, How you ask? They pass the taxes on to people who use there goods and services. Yeah, you might have guessed it by know, the poor and middle class pay the taxes for them. Yeah there to stupid to know it. Why do you think Warren Buffet has no problem with government increasing taxes on the rich, he knows he will just pass them along.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#8]
It is fucked up and it will stay fucked up regardless of the promises made by all the lying politicians and political candidates. Hasn't anyone learned that it is their job to fuck us over? If I had a dollar for every hollow promise made by those jerk wads, I could pay millions more in taxes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And every fucking one of them, believe they do pay taxes.  Fuck, most of them get back more than they paid in,

If I use tax breaks and loopholes to drop my taxes to $1, I'm a hero.
If I do the same to drop my taxes to $-1, I'm an FSA thief.

lol, Arflogic
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

FULL STORY

The top 1 percent of Americans, who have an average income of more than $2.1 million, pay 43.6 percent of all the federal individual income tax in the US; the top 0.1 percent — just 115,000 households, whose average income is more than $9.4 million — pay more than 20 percent of it.
View Quote

the top 1% of wage earners have an AGI of at least $440,000  (follow link to see where you stack up)

View Quote

the bottom 45% pay no federal income taxes...

Incomes taxes are just one form of federal taxation.

and those 115,000 households make up top wage earners...

Not the top of income earners.

the upper middle class  pays the majority of income taxes. Not the rich.

I dont understand how people dont understand that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I get that.....you get that......but most folks do not get that. Sales tax sucks.......but it is not comparable to seeing $XXX taken from you paycheck from money you have earned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do. They pay sales taxes, gasoline taxes, the taxes on their electric bill, property taxes, social security taxes, medicare taxes, state income taxes, etc. I don't like our tax system, but at the same time I understand that half of our nation is poor (relative to western standards) and higher taxes disproportionately impact them compared to those in the top 10%. If a top 10% income earner pays more taxes he/she may have to cut back from a trip to Hawaii to a trip to Vegas. But if taxes rise on someone in the bottom 50% percentile of income that might mean the difference between eating the last day or two of the month versus not. This is really a pointless debate because the real problem in America isn't who and how much taxes are paid, it's the size and spending of government at all levels.  

I get that.....you get that......but most folks do not get that. Sales tax sucks.......but it is not comparable to seeing $XXX taken from you paycheck from money you have earned.
If you want paved roads, police keeping your neighborhood safe, a well-staffed/equipped military ready to go forth and kill ugly smelly foreigners in foreign lands, clean lakes and rivers, court systems to enforce contracts and laws, etc. etc. then your going to pay for it. And America has decided (based on subjective feelings about fairness and equity) that those whose earnings sufficient that their standard of living is not disproportionately affected by shouldering a greater percent of the tax liability will be the ones primarily footing the bill. For every Shaniqua with six kids by six different guys who are gaming the system there are 10,000 other poor people that higher taxes would detrimentally affect.

The real problems in America have little to do with the tax code and more (IMO) to do with the spending/size of government and a multi-decade long shift in demographics coupled with reductions in opportunity for people to rise out of poverty.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Under Obama even illegal immigrants get that tax credit;

Illegal Immigrants Eligible for Earned Income Tax Credit, Other Benefits

The IRS and all subsequent Federal taxes need to be abolished and a flat tax put in its place,  no credits, no returns, no nothing.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wife and I are in the top 10%
View Quote

We are also.

After I found out where we were, I sent an email to my wife telling her that we were rich..

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I think you will find that the rich pay far less than you have stated, How you ask? They pass the taxes on to people who use there goods and services. Yeah, you might have guessed it by know, the poor and middle class pay the taxes for them. Yeah there to stupid to know it. Why do you think Warren Buffet has no problem with government increasing taxes on the rich, he knows he will just pass them along.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FULL STORY

That isn't wholly true. From an economics 101 standpoint the percent of business/corporate taxes that are paid by the business/business owner versus the consumer is heavily dependent on the service/product's elasticity of demand. But, your right in the capacity that no matter what a percent of a business/business owner's taxes are going to be paid by consumers.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#15]
This is one issue where I'd like to see some freaking consistency among "small government" Republicans. A large percentage of those "45%" that pay no FEDERAL income taxes are still paying taxes because, as a whole, our entire country is OVERTAXED because our government is TOO BIG.

List of SOME taxes:
federal income taxes
state income taxes
Employee paid social security taxes
Employee paid medicare taxes
Employer paid social security taxes
Employer paid medicare taxes
state sales taxes
local sales taxes
real estate taxes
personal property taxes
gas taxes
utility taxes

etc, etc.

Shrink the government and EVERYONE pays less in TOTAL taxes, but Republicans aren't willing to do it. There was a slew of people here bitching and griping about the 2 week government shut-down a couple years ago and how they were upset they didn't get to visit their favorite museum, all the while the national debt is spiraling out of control at over $18 trillion.

The government at the federal, state, and local level has become the largest provider of services and the largest provider of jobs in our nation. Make that not so anymore, and this argument about who pays what amount in taxes will become unimportant.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What percentage of the GDP is produced by the 1%?
View Quote

155 homes average a taxible income of 9,500,000 so that total is approximately 1,472,500,000 ($1.472 B)

I dont know what the GDP was for 2014
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It is fucked up and it will stay fucked up regardless of the promises made by all the lying politicians and political candidates. Hasn't anyone learned that it is their job to fuck us over? If I had a dollar for every hollow promise made by those jerk wads, I could pay millions more in taxes.
View Quote
Have you ever noticed that spiders weave different types of webs some weave neat nets,and others not so take the black widow she weaves a mess and did I mention she usually kills and eats her mate after mating.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Take your liberal talking points and look up actual facts...

The poor in the country will continue to remain poor because there is no incentive to better yourself when you get a free ride.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They do. They pay sales taxes, gasoline taxes, the taxes on their electric bill, property taxes, social security taxes, medicare taxes, state income taxes, etc. I don't like our tax system, but at the same time I understand that half of our nation is poor (relative to western standards) and higher taxes disproportionately impact them compared to those in the top 10%. If a top 10% income earner pays more taxes he/she may have to cut back from a trip to Hawaii to a trip to Vegas. But if taxes rise on someone in the bottom 50% percentile of income that might mean the difference between eating the last day or two of the month versus not. This is really a pointless debate because the real problem in America isn't who and how much taxes are paid, it's the size and spending of government at all levels.  

Take your liberal talking points and look up actual facts...

The poor in the country will continue to remain poor because there is no incentive to better yourself when you get a free ride.

Reading comprehension must not be your strong point. Arguing for smaller government and a smaller overall tax burden = liberal talking points?

Fucking GD.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

We are also.

After I found out where we were, I sent an email to my wife telling her that we were rich..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We are also.

Remember when being a millionaire and/or having a six-figure income meant that you actually were somewhat rich?  

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

155 homes average a taxible income of 9,500,000 so that total is approximately 1,472,500,000 ($1.472 B)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~18 trillion

Edit: So, ~0.0000008%
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Liberals still think that is not enough.  They are evil and rich, therefore they need to pay more...you know the whole "fair share" argument.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Here's a novel idea, forget tax break for the top 1% of earners, how about get rid of that ridiculous earned income credit and make those who don't pay pay a little something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Errrr, this is a pretty well known fact.  It's also the result of the early 20th century populism that gave us unapportioned income tax and direct election of senators.  

But, it's just a fact of life, because you aren't going to get 45% of the population to agree to start paying taxes to give the top 1% and top 0.1% a break.

Quite frankly, the only way to make the tax code less progressive would be to somehow strip the franchise from the bottom half of wage earners.

Here's a novel idea, forget tax break for the top 1% of earners, how about get rid of that ridiculous earned income credit and make those who don't pay pay a little something.

I would be fine with no tax break for the top 1% as long as we can get it so that you can NEVER get more back in a "refund" than you actually paid in. That's the part that kills me. You see people bragging about getting thousands of dollars "back" when they do their taxes when they only worked part time for part of the year.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Remember when being a millionaire and/or having a six-figure income meant that you actually were somewhat rich?    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are also.

Remember when the average wage was only 20k?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That isn't wholly true. From an economics 101 standpoint the percent of business/corporate taxes that are paid by the business/business owner versus the consumer is heavily dependent on the service/product's elasticity of demand. But, your right in the capacity that no matter what a percent of a business/business owner's taxes are going to be paid by consumers.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FULL STORY

All taxes are paid by the consumer, and if they are not your business goes bankrupt, plain and simple math just won't let anything else happen.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Bet nearly 100% of those 45% are also on gov assistance and 3/4 vote democrat

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Also, those numbers are a bit sensationalist. I see A LOT of small business owners that regularly pay $0 federal in federal taxes because they structure it that way. Minimal wages from their corp, minimal pass through, always depreciation/section 179/NOL carryover to offset, etc.

View Quote
So they don't have "income". Cash flow does not equal income.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#27]
If we can't get a flat tax implemented than a consumption tax would get everybody into the game.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If we can't get a flat tax implemented than a consumption tax would get everybody into the game.
View Quote

Consumption tax also causes so serious budget problems when the economy slows down for a bit.

Not to mention being a regressive tax.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I wonder if people will ever figure out that there are more Federal taxes than just the income tax.
One would think that any one who works would know that, but when most of the population can't distinguish a tax return from a tax refund, that's probably expecting far too much.

Everyone in America pays Federal taxes.
Most pay directly. Everyone pays indirectly.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So true. I ultimately don't pay federal income taxes, but I pay a buttload of other taxes as you described. Raising any sort of federal income tax on myself will not help me or society. There really aren't a lot of ladders for people to climb these days. We sort of handed that all over to China.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Keep in mind that even though they also pay medicare, social security, state and sales tax.. most will get enough money back to cover it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
So true. I ultimately don't pay federal income taxes, but I pay a buttload of other taxes as you described. Raising any sort of federal income tax on myself will not help me or society. There really aren't a lot of ladders for people to climb these days. We sort of handed that all over to China.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You get deductions for most of that stuff, and then the fat check every year covers the rest.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#33]
SJW claim SS and Medicare are federal taxes.  Probably fed gas tax too.  They are but ....not income taxes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that even though they also pay medicare, social security, state and sales tax.. most will get enough money back to cover it.
View Quote

Some...not most
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Some...not most
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some...not most

Most of the 45%.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I never understood the Tax system.

My retirement check is $2900 a month and I pay $79 in fed tax

My check before retirement was $6800($1500 of it non taxable, BAH etc) a month and I would pay $289 in fed taxes

Every year I would get back $3-4k, this year I get $2200 back(still have 2 kids at home, 4 total)

I think a flat tax would be the best way to fix this.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Everybody is looking for an angle.  Everybody is on the take. That is the new America.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everybody is looking for an angle.  Everybody is on the take. That is the new America.

Ask not what my country can do for ME, but what I can do for my Country.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thread Title:  45% don't pay FEDERAL income tax

Why are so many arguing that point, its a fact, regardless of all the other fucking taxes that are handed down on the citizens.
In other words 55% are paying all of those other taxes AND Federal income taxes.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rubio wants to triple this "credit!!"
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
SJW claim SS and Medicare are federal taxes.  Probably fed gas tax too.  They are but ....not income taxes.
View Quote

Let's see, SS and Medicare taxes are computed on wages.
Wages are income, but SS and Medicare taxes are not income taxes ...

You are allowing yourself to be confused by the label the government applied to the tax.

Those taxes are income taxes (and you pay them at a rate twice as high as you have been led to believe).
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

~18 trillion

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~18 trillion

Yet the local state and federal governments collect a collective 6.6+ trillion dollars per annum...

How is this possibru snips?

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I paid a measly 4.1% of my gross income in federal income tax last year.

I guess the super rich guys are picking up the slack.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I paid a measly 4.1% of my gross income in federal income tax last year.

I guess the super rich guys are picking up the slack.
View Quote

I pay on average about 10% after deductions.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What has been the long term effects of an open door immigration policy with an impoverished third world border nation, combined with mass elimination of blue-collar manufacturing jobs, coupled with an aggressive social/welfare system that fails to disincentive people from getting off the dole, in conjunction with exponentially increasing government spending that removes more and more investment capitol from the economy and devalues the dollar? Answer = A nation with a widening wealth gap and shrinking middle class that is is circling the drain. Or simply put, America today.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's all money taken out of your income to pay for government. Whether you label one tax line item on your W2 as income taxes and it goes to the general fund, or you label the next Medicare and it goes to fund a specific program, is really a moot point in the grand scheme of things.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm in favor of abolishing income tax and replacing it with a sales tax.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Proof that an Arfcomer wrote the article:

<snip>
"On average, those in the bottom 40 percent of the income spectrum end up getting money from the government. Meanwhile, the richest 20 percent of Americans, by far, pay the most in income taxes, forking over nearly 87 percent of all the income tax collected by Uncle Sam."</snip>
View Quote

That's almost sigline worthy - part of the "87% club".......
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Yet the local state and federal governments collect a collective 6.6+ trillion dollars per annum...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

~18 trillion

Taxes (most, not sure if all) and other government revenue (tarrifs, etc.) are included in GPD calculations.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Top 25% here, ballin' baby.

Also, those numbers are a bit sensationalist. I see A LOT of small business owners that regularly pay $0 federal in federal taxes because they structure it that way. Minimal wages from their corp, minimal pass through, always depreciation/section 179/NOL carryover to offset, etc.

Often times they're paying property taxes, payroll taxes, etc.
View Quote

That will eventually catch up with small business owners, and isn't as easy as you made it sound.  You can't have draws or benefits that exceed wages, and you eventually have to claim and pay taxes on your profits.  Deductions, equipment purchases and carryover of losses just postpone the inevitable in my experience.  Don't get me wrong - there are some very interesting (and legal) ways to minimize tax exposure, but they're a little different (and lot more complicated) than what you captured here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Taxes (most, not sure if all) and other government revenue (tarrifs, etc.) are included in GPD calculations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~18 trillion

Probably more then once.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top