Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#1]
.223 /5.56 is king IMHO ( as is .308 ) .... mainly due to cheap milsurp cases. and cheap production ammo. ( .223 and .308 is probably cheapest you can buy )I can buy pmc 5.56/ .223 for approx. $6.00 a box, and kick the shit out of coyotes. or load a bt bullet into cheap lake city brass and kick ass... IIRC .204 uses a .223 case necked to approx. .20 cal. again, cheap cases, you can neck down. ( well maybe not .204.... but you could make .20 tactical out of .223 cheaply, and kick ass, if you were inclined )

I love new calibers as much as anyone... but my first loyalty belongs to my wallet, and what I can get for that price increase. for me, its just not worth it, except maybe in a limited role, for a specific purpose. .204 would likely do that. and ( .300 aac for example).  I could see people wanting this for a varmint / hunting rig... hell maybe gov sponsored military round on a small scale.... just not me.  the price of new brass and ease of finding ammo would make it undesirable all by itself.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, as a wildcat.

The very point he was making.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It started as .300 Fireball, then .300 Whisper.

It's been around for awhile.

Around?  Like on the shelves at Walmart and Cabelas?

No, as a wildcat.

The very point he was making.

And that's the very point I was making.  Every cartridge gets its start somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
.223 /5.56 is king IMHO ( as is .308 ) .... mainly due to cheap milsurp cases. and cheap production ammo. ( .223 and .308 is probably cheapest you can buy )I can buy pmc 5.56/ .223 for approx. $6.00 a box, and kick the shit out of coyotes. or load a bt bullet into cheap lake city brass and kick ass... IIRC .204 uses a .223 case necked to approx. .20 cal. again, cheap cases, you can neck down. ( well maybe not .204.... but you could make .20 tactical out of .223 cheaply, and kick ass, if you were inclined )

I love new calibers as much as anyone... but my first loyalty belongs to my wallet, and what I can get for that price increase. for me, its just not worth it, except maybe in a limited role, for a specific purpose. .204 would likely do that. and ( .300 aac for example).  I could see people wanting this for a varmint / hunting rig... hell maybe gov sponsored military round on a small scale.... just not me.  the price of new brass and ease of finding ammo would make it undesirable all by itself.
View Quote

Its interesting but ammo cost/brass cost would make it prohibitive for a plinker.  As a dedicated coyote rig it or pushing heavy bullets for deer/long range target it would add 100 yards to the 223.  Perhaps more interesting is could this be necked up to a 6.5, 6.8 or 30 cal and get the same performance as the 6.5 grendel, 6.8 spc, and 30 ARK/30 Herret all while only requiring barrel change and 6.8 mags.  Basically will it equal those rounds while keeping the same bolt carrier group and then will nosler make additional rounds.  I can tell you right now a 30 cal ar-15 that only needs barrel and mags that can get 2400 fps out of a 150 grain bullet and 16" barrel would sell.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top