User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:14:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

lets be clear... the hostages were never going to be set free! bogus negotiations were for public perception. reasonable people don't take women and children hostage. reasonable people don't execute young boys and rape little girls. they were prepared for and did die for ultimate snackbar. hopefully this type of cowardice never happens again. the worst crime is a crime against a innocent child.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Russian knockout gas plan might seem retarded but I believe in a Beslann type situation the hostage takers wont be interested in negotiations and they WILL kill children.

The fuck up in the Russian gas plan was the complete incompetence of the Russians themselves at the time.

Like Bama said move as quickly as possible and try and take them before they can get really dug in. In such a situation you know children will die and that's tragic but the simple fact remains that Islamic terrorists are not some robber you could buy off the usual helicopter and  1 million in cash in unmarked bills.

I'm not sure if it's true but I read somewhere a long while back that one of the terrorists was standing on a dead man trigger that was linked to the bombs that were strung up above the hostages. The gas method might not work so well if he fell off the dead man trigger.

lets be clear... the hostages were never going to be set free! bogus negotiations were for public perception. reasonable people don't take women and children hostage. reasonable people don't execute young boys and rape little girls. they were prepared for and did die for ultimate snackbar. hopefully this type of cowardice never happens again. the worst crime is a crime against a innocent child.

This. The terrorists went in to this knowing they were going to die.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:09:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember this as if it was yesterday........
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

From what I've read here in GD most don't want LE equipped or trained to be ready for this so good luck getting the military there fast enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The islamists will try again so hopefully our LE/Mil are ready for this.

From what I've read here in GD most don't want LE equipped or trained to be ready for this so good luck getting the military there fast enough.

They will be equipped and trained.  Then they will wait for FBI HRT with military advisors to actually show up.

Taking down pot heads with armored vehicles is more the local PD's style.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

it appears to be about the moscow theater hostage event back in 2002
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something like that if it happened here the response would be completely different at least in the public's eye. The Chechen's had a strong resolve & the Russians? Well they tend to go in with a machete rather then a scalpel.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Spetsnaz-Mission-Accomplished.jpg

Too bad that picture isn't accurate.

42 terrorists, yes. But there were close to 900 hostages, not 129.

it appears to be about the moscow theater hostage event back in 2002

Yep. Hence the 'too bad its not accurate'.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They will be equipped and trained.  Then they will wait for FBI HRT with military advisors to actually show up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The islamists will try again so hopefully our LE/Mil are ready for this.

I concur

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We need to kill them now. Before this happens here.
View Quote

Nice thought but how do we accomplish this?
They are spread out all over the world hiding in plain sight.
Our main focus right now is on the main bodies in Iraq and Syria and a few scattered around like Somalia where we just had the drone strike. What about the ones in Everyday, USA? Just profile them and round them up? That aint happening. Unfortunately we wont do a dam thing to stop or prevent something like this from happening until it does. Then we will do something like post NG troops outside every school.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When there's 30+ terrorists taking over a school that has 1 SRO, there's not much of a chance of fending off the attack.
View Quote

Hell, 1 SRO isn't much defense against a single determined attacker.  Track him down during the morning rush and shoot him first.  I brought that little scenario up after Newtown and was roundly chastised locally.  Arming school staff and visiting parents is the only realistic solution.

I think it's a 100% slam-dunk certainty to happen within the next 5 years.  The current administration (both parties) have zero interest in preventing it because it will be an exploitable crisis.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep in mind that there are plenty of Chechens in ISIS's ranks...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
HRT is 12 at best to 24 hrs away.

By then we are into that heavy barricade situation we were discussing.

If you had a real Beslan type incident an armored vehicle could be used to bring fresh guys in and injured ones out.

View Quote

Agreed that it could.  Will the PD actually do it?

Will a PD go in after 20 minutes of planning knowing that cops and kids are going to die but its the only good option?

They use SWAT teams to go after granny with a joint while shooting the labradoodle because its such a threat.  I don't think they have the balls, to put it frankly.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Some local governments have done a lot to prepare for such an event. Others have their heads in the sand.

A "SRO" is a good start but his primary purpose will be to sound the alarm and get help on the way.

In my opinion police stations and fire stations should be close to schools. Sprinting distance close. You have to put it some where. Put it across the street from potential targets not three miles away in an industrial park next to a tow yard.

Schools should have cameras covering the approaches. Those cameras should feed to monitors in the police stations break room & report writing rooms, the fire station, the dispatch center, ect.

The police, fire, hospitals and school staff should drill togather regularly. once a year minimum. Monthly is better.

Every city cop should be able to tell you the distance between fixed positions such as the roof of the police station to football field press box or driveway apron to front door, and his sight setting or hold overs to make that shot. Frequent training at ranges that allow shooting to those distances.

I've helped with exactly that sort of training for one city. I'm not kidding when I say they can put 50 cops in the building in 5 minutes or less with another 200 withen 15 minutes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When there's 30+ terrorists taking over a school that has 1 SRO, there's not much of a chance of fending off the attack.

Some local governments have done a lot to prepare for such an event. Others have their heads in the sand.

A "SRO" is a good start but his primary purpose will be to sound the alarm and get help on the way.

In my opinion police stations and fire stations should be close to schools. Sprinting distance close. You have to put it some where. Put it across the street from potential targets not three miles away in an industrial park next to a tow yard.

Schools should have cameras covering the approaches. Those cameras should feed to monitors in the police stations break room & report writing rooms, the fire station, the dispatch center, ect.

The police, fire, hospitals and school staff should drill togather regularly. once a year minimum. Monthly is better.

Every city cop should be able to tell you the distance between fixed positions such as the roof of the police station to football field press box or driveway apron to front door, and his sight setting or hold overs to make that shot. Frequent training at ranges that allow shooting to those distances.

I've helped with exactly that sort of training for one city. I'm not kidding when I say they can put 50 cops in the building in 5 minutes or less with another 200 withen 15 minutes.

I would be completely happy with raising taxes to get this done.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Let's consider a possible Beslan style incident:

A wacko cleric in Minnesota or Michigan convinces 6-12 ( we will consider 30 as unrealistic) young men to not travel to Syria for jihad but to do so in the US. They're young guys with no criminal record so they legally purchase ARs and matriculate into a small college. They spend a year training with their firearms and maybe a couple of them get jobs as TAs or in student services to allow them more time and access to a building they've chosen as their target so they can secret caches in supply rooms,in ceilings etc ( as they did in Beslan).

When the time comes,they chain the doors and storm a few lecture halls. Both campus cops on duty are ambushed. Within 5 minutes they have 500 hostages,have shot 10 for using their cell phones, have placed IEDs throughout and are wearing SVIEDs.

What happens?

There is simply next to no chance that such an event could be prevented from becoming a drawn out hostage situation barring a direct assault ASAP with the full and absolute knowledge that many will die in the crossfire or be murdered before the terrorists are eliminated. I am not sure there are many police officials who would be willing to order such a thing regardless of what their active shooter policy says.

The thing is,LE is in a damned if you do situation and help from the HRT/SEAL Team 6/whoever the govt has under this contingency plan is at very best hours away. That is enough time for the terrorists to send videos and murder more hostages so their mission is complete either way if they die in 5 more minutes or 5 more days.

It's scary as hell knowing that it would be much easier than staging a 9/11 hijacking. Ultimately,the best way to deal with this possibility is to have members of the Muslim community willing to inform on such people,though obviously the Tsarnaevs and 2 recent jihadis dead in Syria escaped that detection and Federal law enforcement/intelligence.

In short,not to be negative but if they ever manage to create cells  who want to be shahids rather than lone jihadis and guys committed enough to build a bomb but not wanting to die with it there will be some bad days and there will be little to no way of avoiding it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Will a PD go in after 20 minutes of planning knowing that cops and kids are going to die but its the only good option?

They use SWAT teams to go after granny with a joint while shooting the labradoodle because its such a threat.  I don't think they have the balls, to put it frankly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you had a real Beslan type incident an armored vehicle could be used to bring fresh guys in and injured ones out.

Individually I know any number of cops who would be willing to die rescuing children.  Administratively I don't think there are many CLEO's willing to make that call.  

Better (in their mind) to consider all the options and call in the pros.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Individually I know any number of cops who would be willing to die rescuing children.  Administratively I don't think there are many CLEO's willing to make that call.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and by then, of course, its too late.

I am serious when I say a posse.

The only people willing to go in there and die will be the fathers of the kids that are trapped.

Text alert, show up with what you got, distribute arms to those willing to carry them, and go in immediately.

these scum aren't trained to fight, they are trained to kill the defenseless. but they are willing to die.  And there would be more of us then them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's why having 1-in-10 teachers armed is critical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why having 1-in-10 teachers armed is critical.

Ought to be a law.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Fuck I hate seeing these pictures.

Islam is a plague upon humanity that needs to be stamped out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

just because someone is willing to rescue children that doesn't mean they are actually capable of such a task? big difference!

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#19]
It was NOT "Chechen Seperatists", it was members of what is now known as "Al Qeada In The Caucuses" (Caucuses Emirate).

Shamil Basayev claimed responsibility for the event, it was a straight up terror attack.

Funny that his wikipedia page doesn't show him as the Islamist terrorist that he was (but google images does).
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The only people willing to go in there and die will be the fathers of the kids that are trapped.

Text alert, show up with what you got, distribute arms to those willing to carry them, and go in immediately.

these scum aren't trained to fight, they are trained to kill the defenseless. but they are willing to die.  And there would be more of us then them.
View Quote

I agree 100%, and our legal system is 100% not prepared to deal with such an event.

Not that it matters when a persons kid is on the line. Or any kids are on the line, for that matter.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#21]
IIRC, these weren't Chechens, but instead Ingusetians and South Ossetians ... the Russians hate the Chechens and scapegoat them for all their troubles, ie any immigrants and terrorists are "Chechens."

But yes, of course it could happen again, as long as schools remain "soft targets."
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

As soon as the scumbags in question get a lid on the situation, it's game over. It would take anywhere from 10-25 minutes for them to set up shop and be in defensive mode, depending upon how big the school is, how effective it is on lockdown, how well it was scouted previously, etc. Once they are able to make the switch from offense to defense, a very bad situation becomes far worse.

Minutes count, and by "minutes," we're literally talking "count the minutes on two hands with fingers left over."
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Why the frig do I keep on getting double taps?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Completely agree.  The bad news about less skilled good guys is more casualties all around in the assault but that would still be preferable to waiting days to assault when the good guys are "ready".  Innocents & good guys will die either way but more will die when the bad guys are entrenched.

I think this is one of those instances of going to war with the army you have not the army you want.  It would be nice to have a bunch of M4 equipped cops and civilians who take their use of arms seriously and/or CCW holders & cops who can actually hit a target further than 3 yards away but that's the exception not the rule.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top