User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a former owner of a 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger (318 2-brl, 904 Torqueflite auto) - 120 Indicated (and almost all the speedos only went to 120) is about all you are going to get, without some very serious mods. With the highway gearing, and only a 1:1 final drive ratio in the trans... theoretical top speed on those old cars (60's - 70's) ranged anywhere from 130ish, up to 145-150 for the very rare cars with engines capable of sustained high RPM's. For any small block with a hydraulic cam? I'd bet you that drag or valve-float will keep you from ever running out of gear.

I've heard tons of stories of "my {insert muscle car name here} would hit 180 out in the desert back in the day" - and unless you're talking about a purpose built car on a salt flat, it's all pretty much bull-shit. But you know what? In a 60's or 70's muscle/pony car - 120 or 130mph feels like you're about to hit the fucking sound barrier, especially at night. I know, because I used to do stuff like that all the time... many years ago.

I'm honestly amazed I survived such youthful indiscretions.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A stock '96 Mustang GT will hit 135, easy, before the cowl starts shaking. A stock '76 Coronet with a 318 will cruise at about 170. Why is 190 so special?

Really?

Lol. A 318 Coronet will not travel faster than 120 unless its dropped from a plane.

Been there, done that. No plane involved. My mom's car. Only wrecked once.

Somehow I doubt the spedo in that thing would even be close to accurate at high speed. Indicated or GPS?

Never mind that cruise the aint the right word for 170mph with 1970's factory suspension and tires. Engine be damned.

As a former owner of a 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger (318 2-brl, 904 Torqueflite auto) - 120 Indicated (and almost all the speedos only went to 120) is about all you are going to get, without some very serious mods. With the highway gearing, and only a 1:1 final drive ratio in the trans... theoretical top speed on those old cars (60's - 70's) ranged anywhere from 130ish, up to 145-150 for the very rare cars with engines capable of sustained high RPM's. For any small block with a hydraulic cam? I'd bet you that drag or valve-float will keep you from ever running out of gear.

I've heard tons of stories of "my {insert muscle car name here} would hit 180 out in the desert back in the day" - and unless you're talking about a purpose built car on a salt flat, it's all pretty much bull-shit. But you know what? In a 60's or 70's muscle/pony car - 120 or 130mph feels like you're about to hit the fucking sound barrier, especially at night. I know, because I used to do stuff like that all the time... many years ago.

I'm honestly amazed I survived such youthful indiscretions.

Truth.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I know that 95 will put the deer where the radiator belongs in a cutlass, and the radiator will mold itself around the fan, and it will take two grown men to dislodge the carcass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder how a 190 MPH deer hit would work out in my area?

I know that 95 will put the deer where the radiator belongs in a cutlass, and the radiator will mold itself around the fan, and it will take two grown men to dislodge the carcass.

Would look something like this:

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Green bike?...Guy out of Lindsay, OK? wreck was mid sept?

Local Facebook sportbikers page had so many wrecks this summer it seemed like they were always going to funerals or visting buddies in hospitals...They lost another one last weekend doing 140+ and lost it....They even wreck on memorial rides
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I looked at a bike last week (insurance adjuster) that the Highway Patrol estimated entered a curve at 130mph.  It was a 2013 or 2014 ZX1400.  He crossed the center line in order to make the curve.  On the other side coming at him, a 2012 Chevy 2500 Duramax entered the curve.  The 24 year old never knew what hit him.

Local Facebook sportbikers page had so many wrecks this summer it seemed like they were always going to funerals or visting buddies in hospitals...They lost another one last weekend doing 140+ and lost it....They even wreck on memorial rides

I hate crotchrockets.  HATE THEM.  When I'm in Memphis and these assbags come flying by on the shoulder at 110 MPH I sit there hoping one of them will hit a retread so MAYBE the other dochebags riding along will slow the hell down.  

Find a damn track.  No business on the roads doing that shit.

You got this asshole, acting like the truck driver is the aggressor

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dONyv-Cwkoo[/youtube]

Then you find out the jackhole on the bike is THIS guy, who apparently has been racing his bike in front of the truck drivers house at 170+.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d4M-s6EoOs[/youtube]

You like speed, great.  Do that shit on a closed track.  

Friend I went to school with lost his brother in law and another friend, both in their young 20's, when a POS going 120 was weaving in and out of traffic in Memphis and rearended the car they were in.  

Hollister pled guilty to two counts of reckless vehicular homicide and two counts of reckless
aggravated assault and asked for alternative sentencing. The Court noted that he had recently failed to comply
with probation and had seven prior speeding tickets. Hollister was sentenced to serve eight years.
Over fifty family members and friends of Gerald Stinson and Eugene Hosey attended the sentencing
hearing. They hope that the sentence sends a message. Reckless driving is a choice. It demonstrates a lack of
civic and personal responsibility. The reckless driver has no regard for the rights of others. The deaths of
Gerald and Eugene on that July night were senseless and avoidable. Reckless driving is a serious crime and it
should be prosecuted to try to stop a driver from causing injury or death to anyone by driving recklessly again.

Far as I'm concerned, they should have put a bullet in this POS and been done with him.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#4]
This Vette it meh.........
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I hate crotchrockets.  HATE THEM.  When I'm in Memphis and these assbags come flying by on the shoulder at 110 MPH I sit there hoping one of them will hit a retread so MAYBE the other dochebags riding along will slow the hell down.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dONyv-Cwkoo

Then you find out the jackhole on the bike is THIS guy, who apparently has been racing his bike in front of the truck drivers house at 170+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d4M-s6EoOs

Friend I went to school with lost his brother in law and another friend, both in their young 20's, when a POS going 120 was weaving in and out of traffic in Memphis and rearended the car they were in.  

Hollister pled guilty to two counts of reckless vehicular homicide and two counts of reckless
aggravated assault and asked for alternative sentencing. The Court noted that he had recently failed to comply
with probation and had seven prior speeding tickets. Hollister was sentenced to serve eight years.
Over fifty family members and friends of Gerald Stinson and Eugene Hosey attended the sentencing
hearing. They hope that the sentence sends a message. Reckless driving is a choice. It demonstrates a lack of
civic and personal responsibility. The reckless driver has no regard for the rights of others. The deaths of
Gerald and Eugene on that July night were senseless and avoidable. Reckless driving is a serious crime and it
should be prosecuted to try to stop a driver from causing injury or death to anyone by driving recklessly again.

Far as I'm concerned, they should have put a bullet in this POS and been done with him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I looked at a bike last week (insurance adjuster) that the Highway Patrol estimated entered a curve at 130mph.  It was a 2013 or 2014 ZX1400.  He crossed the center line in order to make the curve.  On the other side coming at him, a 2012 Chevy 2500 Duramax entered the curve.  The 24 year old never knew what hit him.

So you think its ok to try to kill someone on a bike because they are speeding?

Biker was 100% in the right for this headbutt, I hope the truck driver had to eat through a straw.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Biker was 100% in the right for this headbutt, I hope the truck driver had to eat through a straw.

View Quote

First of all, I didn't say it was ok to kill someone on a bike because they are speeding.  If that truck driver wanted to smash that squid he easily could have.  He was trying to get the bikers to stop, and was successful in doing so.

As far as the headbutt, at that point the biker should have been perforated.

You must ride a bike and have no problem putting other people's lives (and the lives of their kids) in danger in order to get your jolllies....

The bullet in the head was in reference to the POS Hollister mentioned in the above snip who killed too kids when he rammed the back of the car they were in going 100MPH+.  Yeah, they should have put a bullet in him.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Florida?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Florida?

Pretty sure it is in Florida, also pretty sure I know who that is...

Agreed he could have done it in a better place, but it didn't look he put anyone but himself in danger.

Quoted:
Quoted:
unless he was coasting at 1:20, his speedo is wonkie

Yeah it is not working correctly. The  acceleration was way too fast.

Speedo works fine, that's how fast a car like that can accelerate. You think a 7 second car would be slower than that?

Quoted:
So he put thousands of dollars in mods in a brand new Corvette so it will now go the same top end as my 2008 BMW?

http://www.les-reponses.fr/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/logo-marque-bleu-blanc-emoji.jpg

I was gonna ask you to provide a video of your 2008 BMW doing the same thing, but then I was all...
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah how dare those assholes speed on YOUR highway!

They deserve to hit a retread and die, right?

You sound like a very special snowflake.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speeding as in driving recklessly at twice the posted limit, passing people on the shoulder?  Yeah, I have a problem with that.  I normally have my daughters in the backseat of my car, so I have a big problem with assholes who use public roads as their playground.

You want to race, go do it on a track.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Sweeeeeet!
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Florida?
View Quote

Looked like a blurred out Missouri plate.  I'm guessing this is St. Louis somewhere.  Also there is an Elco Chevrolet here too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

First of all, I didn't say it was ok to kill someone on a bike because they are speeding.  If that truck driver wanted to smash that squid he easily could have.  He was trying to get the bikers to stop, and was successful in doing so.

You must ride a bike and have no problem putting other people's lives (and the lives of their kids) in danger in order to get your jolllies....

The bullet in the head was in reference to the POS Hollister mentioned in the above snip who killed too kids when he rammed the back of the car they were in going 100MPH+.  Yeah, they should have put a bullet in him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're cool with attempted murder to stop a speeder, got it.
The only guy who deserved a bullet was the truck driver.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.

Not a single car was passed after the first half of his run. No safety fucks given by me, only one at risk was him judging by this particular video.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
especially at night.

That's when the highway's empty

This.

Not a single car was passed after the first half of his run. No safety fucks given by me, only one at risk was him judging by this particular video.

He passed several cars even close to the end. If you want to race your car go to a track.

ETA: Cool car no doubt. Real fast. Just take it to a track.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, if the truck driver had wanted to flatten the squid, he could have done so easily.  He wanted the biker to pull over.  The bikers did, then one assaulted the truck driver.  

Blocking the road to make someone stop is not attempted murder.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Again, if the truck driver had wanted to flatten the squid, he could have done so easily.  He wanted the biker to pull over.  The bikers did, then one assaulted the truck driver.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did we even watch the same vid? He was driving on the wrong side of the road to force him off.

I bet you loved the ending to Easy Rider, too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no justifying the way the truck driver "attempted to pull over" the guy on the bike.  He could have easily caused an accident and killed the guy.  No matter what the guys on the bikes were doing, that wasn't the way to handle it.  It isn't his place to be on the road trying to pull anyone over... especially with his chosen technique of damn near forcing them off the road.

For the record, I don't even know how to ride a motorcycle.  And I can't stand the bikers who think the public road is their own personal racetrack.  But that video isn't the way to handle it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Florida?
View Quote

My thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There is no justifying the way the truck driver "attempted to pull over" the guy on the bike.  He could have easily caused an accident and killed the guy.  No matter what the guys on the bikes were doing, that wasn't the way to handle it.  It isn't his place to be on the road trying to pull anyone over... especially with his chosen technique of damn near forcing them off the road.

For the record, I don't even know how to ride a motorcycle.  And I can't stand the bikers who think the public road is their own personal racetrack.  But that video isn't the way to handle it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, that's a matter of opinion.  If the truck driver had run over the guy I don't think society would have suffered any great loss.

Again, I don't have any sympathy for someone who will drive 174mph in a residential area.  When I had kids my tolerance level went way down for that kinda crap.

The POS I mentioned above in Memphis killed two kids, and devestated two families by driving like this on a public highway.  I have NO sympathy for someone who races on public roads.  Whatever they get they had coming to them as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I haven't had the place or balls to push it to top end (only to 165 indicated, on a fairly rural highway one Sunday morning), but the specs for the car said top end was 202 MPH, at least according to the car magazines.  It has the 5.0L V10 and I got some minor tuning done to remove the limiter and improve the throttle.
View Quote

Yeah that corvette would hit 200 in half the time it would take your bmw.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Eh, that's a matter of opinion.  If the truck driver had run over the guy I don't think society would have suffered any great loss.

Again, I don't have any sympathy for someone who will drive 174mph in a residential area.  When I had kids my tolerance level went way down for that kinda crap.

The POS I mentioned above in Memphis killed two kids, and devestated two families by driving like this on a public highway.  I have NO sympathy for someone who races on public roads.  Whatever they get they had coming to them as far as I'm concerned.
View Quote

Matter of opinion?

I guess it's possible that you could have an opinion that it's appropriate to go entirely into the oncoming traffic lane and force someone to swerve nearly off the road in order to get them to stop so you can....?

But that would be a really stupid opinion.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:14:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

SNIP by me.

View Quote

Get emotional and make straw man arguments much?  

I love how you want that law followed so badly that you don't mind people breaking it.   It's like bizarro world with you emotional retards.   Someone's doing something I don't like!  Let's make laws to stop it or kill them!  I have kids, but if someone else s kid dies fuck them!
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm close enough to the Houston area, what do you have?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol at BMW bikes and cars.

<a href="http://s300.photobucket.com/user/rccox/media/CTS-V/7b26c37d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/rccox/CTS-V/7b26c37d.jpg</a>

Happen to be in the Houston area?  I know of a few BMWs that would be willing to play against a CTS V.

I'm close enough to the Houston area, what do you have?

Lulz, he must not know you at all.

I met you a few years back at a 2K event when I was in my 730rwhp 06' GTO.

You still rocking the Viper or did you go back to Vettes yet?
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A stock '96 Mustang GT will hit 135, easy, before the cowl starts shaking. A stock '76 Coronet with a 318 will cruise at about 170. Why is 190 so special?
Really?
View Quote

Physics
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

1,000 HP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
unless he was coasting at 1:20, his speedo is wonkie

Yeah it is not working correctly. The  acceleration was way too fast.

1,000 HP

Looked right to me especially after the shift into overdrive. I guess the new vettes still have double overdrive gears.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top