BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You do realize being a Conscientious objector is simply boiled down to "This conflicts with my religion, I'm not doing it, I'm going home"

She is free to resign from her position at ANY time.
View Quote

This, and I encourage her to do so if she cannot fulfill the duties of her position.

Personally I think people who get divorced twice should be barred from being married again.  How many bites at the apple should you give someone?  Thought it was until death do you part.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This, and I encourage her to do so if she cannot fulfill the duties of her position.

Personally I think people who get divorced twice should be barred from being married again.  How many bites at the apple should you give someone?  Thought it was until death do you part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You do realize being a Conscientious objector is simply boiled down to "This conflicts with my religion, I'm not doing it, I'm going home"

I don't see why it is any of the governmenta concern who you marry as long as they are consenting adults. IMHO the court should have got the government out of marriage but next we will see a SCOTUS case on having multiple partner marriages

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't see why it is any of the governmenta concern who you marry as long as they are consenting adults. IMHO the court should have got the government out of marriage but next we will see a SCOTUS case on having multiple partner marriages  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Marriage is a legally binding contract, of course it's the governments business who gets to marry who.  Marriage requires the recognition of the state in order for it to be valid.  Try leaving the wife without paying spousal support, and in the majority of states a spouse can not be excluded from the will or disinherited.

Look at the facts of the case before the court in Obergefell vs. Hodges, the spouse of a dying man was prevented from being listed as the Surviving Spouse on the death certificate,  The surviving spouse is given certain legal privileges such as social security benefits.  Clearly, the government has to be in the marriage business.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as this line of logic holds up to scrutiny, I suppose there are those who think it would also be acceptable for polygamous marriages, marriages to children granted with parental consent, marriages where parents are paid to give consent for underage marriages (pedophilia of either sexual orientation),  and just about any other type of relationship anyone could come up with.  

The logic has been "It is no one's business who I love".  I wonder if people think that applies to one, two, three and four year olds...as long as you can pay their parents enough money to give consent.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because marriage is really all about tax breaks, benefits, and the transfers of property and wealth. With out government involvement, a simple piece of paper from the local church ain't gonna mean much when John Q Citizen dies and his gay partner wants the house while is sister is saying no.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Because marriage is really all about tax breaks, benefits, and the transfers of property and wealth. With out government involvement, a simple piece of paper from the local church ain't gonna mean much when John Q Citizen dies and his gay partner wants the house while is sister is saying no.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It should be a rather simple process of notifying the government of the union/s singed by all parties with a witness rather than asking the government for permission to get married

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't a power of attorney, living will, will, beneficiary on bank accounts, beneficiary on stock accounts, beneficiary on pensions, beneficiary on 401k,  trust, and other estate planning tools take care of all this without needing to be legally married.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Wouldn't a power of attorney, living will, will, beneficiary on bank accounts, beneficiary on stock accounts, beneficiary on pensions, beneficiary on 401k,  trust, and other estate planning tools take care of all this without needing to be legally married.
View Quote
Wouldn't it be easier to just allow same-sex marriages than to do all that?  

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Gov't shouldn't be involved in marriage at all. Its origin was racist. If it weren't, clerk's approval would not be required and this would be a non issue.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#10]
how are those two things even remotely similar.

The clerk could have resigned at any time.  Enlisted service members cannot resign.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not everywhere....

But marriage does
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top