User Panel

Page / 187
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#3]
great news on the nurses. It would seem to point to a new anti-serum/anti-viral agent that has been developed to be able to drive the viral titre down to unmeasurable levels in the blood in such a short time period. Simple supportive measures would not clear it within a week and known antivirals treatments have not been shown effective against ebola to date
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

yep. my feeling is something MAJOR has happened with new treatments. although phan doesn't appear to be coming around as quickly even though reports are getting better
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
great news on the nurses. It would seem to point to a new anti-serum/anti-viral agent that has been developed to be able to drive the viral titre down to unmeasurable levels in the blood in such a short time period. Simple supportive measures would not clear it within a week and known antivirals treatments have not been shown effective against ebola to date

yep. my feeling is something MAJOR has happened with new treatments. although phan doesn't appear to be coming around as quickly even though reports are getting better

I agree, IMO Ebola was somthing that the bio tech/pharma companies really weren't pursuing directly but I am sure due to all the research in other viruses the researchers found treatments/meds that were able to work on Ebola. Given the lack of care about that region in Africa by the world it doesn't surprise me that those treatments aren't being used there. Then again, maybe the treatments aren't being recommended because the west african folks would not submit to the treatment or they would not follow the treatment exactly as prescribed and thus allowing Ebola to become more resilient. From what I have read regarding the general distrust of science and the use of witch doctors, the west africans are their own worst enemy.

Thanks again TBS for your input regarding the Ebola crisis!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I agree, IMO Ebola was somthing that the bio tech/pharma companies really weren't pursuing directly but I am sure due to all the research in other viruses the researchers found treatments/meds that were able to work on Ebola. Given the lack of care about that region in Africa by the world it doesn't surprise me that those treatments aren't being used there. Then again, maybe the treatments aren't being recommended because the west african folks would not submit to the treatment or they would not follow the treatment exactly as prescribed and thus allowing Ebola to become more resilient. From what I have read regarding the general distrust of science and the use of witch doctors, the west africans are their own worst enemy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a matter of scale.  I'm thinking that effective isolation of the infected will save more lives in Africa than a treatment that cuts the fatality rate in half or two-thirds.

Things are so overwhelmed in Africa, that their most effective strategy is to strive for a 70% isolation rate - whether it's isolation in ETUs or effective home isolation, it doesn't matter - that level of isolation will halt the progression of the outbreak in 2 to 3 months time.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm leaning that way myself.  I can't believe that simple hydration is all that accounts for the stark difference in Mortality Rates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm leaning that way myself.  I can't believe that simple hydration is all that accounts for the stark difference in Mortality Rates.

Same here. I also suspect that whatever magic happened may sporting a nondisclosure agreement of some flavor. Whether that's a national security or corporate requirement, I can't speculate.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't believe it's some magical new secret treatment.

I think it's simply a combination of:

-going into the disease with a first world immune system
-modern medical treatment in the best facilities delivered by the best caregivers in the world
-perhaps assistance from antibodies from a recovered victim's transfusion

3 of every 10 Liberian victims walked away after suffering through a hemorrhagic disease while wallowing in squalor.

As expected, victims fare much better here. A week is pretty damned quick, though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#11]
A week followed by "doing much better, full recovery expected" would lead me to believe aggressive supportive care did it all. A week followed by "no detectable virus" is what makes my antennae vibrate.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#12]
N163PA is in the air bound for Dakar.  Presumably there's another evacuation coming back to the US, but nothing in the news that I've seen yet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Where was he when you got him? Edit: Symptomatically, of course.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

-modern medical treatment in the best facilities delivered by the best caregivers in the world

3 of every 10 Liberian victims walked away after suffering through a hemorrhagic disease while wallowing in squalor.

As expected, victims fare much better here. A week is pretty damned quick, though.
View Quote

As well as being treated at a very early stage.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

by reports about where duncan was on his first er visit. early symptomatic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where was he when you got him? Edit: Symptomatically, of course.

by reports about where duncan was on his first er visit. early symptomatic.

That's significant...and interesting. 1st world patient?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Damn. Glad he made it, either way.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Genetics could also be a factor.

Modern Americans, from all walks of life, tend to have a nice mix of immune system related genetics. This may create an inherently stronger immune system.

Climate too. Most Ebola centers in Liberia are not air conditioned. That cannot help with supportive care.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I am glad things look like they are under control, or should I say never really got out of control.

Been a great thread, thanks to all those who posted the good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
N163PA is in the air bound for Dakar.  Presumably there's another evacuation coming back to the US, but nothing in the news that I've seen yet.
View Quote

Not good, but better than being treated in-country.

I wonder if the HCW/journalist was a recent import from one of the 3 countries with current infections, or if it was transmitted in Senegal - probably the former.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am glad things look like they are under control, or should I say never really got out of control.

Been a great thread, thanks to all those who posted the good stuff.
View Quote

I have to agree. I was pretty concerned.

Thanks to all with professional knowledge who contributed to the thread.  

Great news gathering, as per ususal.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#24]
-Snip until confirmed-
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
-Snip until confirmed-
View Quote

?

It's a sad day when people are waiting for confirmation to post things from possible information to wild insane rumors in the Ebola thread.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-Snip until confirmed-

?

The first news source I linked was of questionable reliability. This one may be a bit better, but I am still unsure.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/bellevue-patient-ebola-doctor-africa-hospital-nyc-280215302.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_NYBrand
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Update:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/diseases/ebola-stmt-nyc.shtml

Today, EMS HAZ TAC Units transferred to Bellevue Hospital a patient who presented a fever and gastrointestinal symptoms.  

The patient is a health care worker who returned to the U.S. within the past 21 days from one of the three countries currently facing the outbreak of this virus.

The patient was transported by a specially trained HAZ TAC unit wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).  After consulting with the hospital and the CDC, DOHMH has decided to conduct a test for the Ebola virus because of this patient’s recent travel history, pattern of symptoms, and past work. DOHMH and HHC are also evaluating the patient for other causes of illness, as these symptoms can also be consistent with salmonella, malaria, or the stomach flu.

Preliminary test results are expected in the next 12 hours.

Bellevue Hospital is designated for the isolation, identification and treatment of potential Ebola patients by the City and State.  New York City is taking all necessary precautions to ensure the health and safety of all New Yorkers.

As a further precaution, beginning today, the Health Department’s team of disease detectives immediately began to actively trace all of the patient’s contacts to identify anyone who may be at potential risk. The Health Department staff has established protocols to identify, notify, and, if necessary, quarantine any contacts of Ebola cases.

The Health Department is also working closely with HHC leadership, Bellevue's clinical team and the New York State Department of Health to ensure that all staff caring for the patient do so while following the utmost safety guidelines and protocols.

Bellevue and the New York State Department of Health to ensure that all staff caring for the patient do so while following the utmost safety guidelines and protocols.

The chances of the average New Yorker contracting Ebola are extremely slim. Ebola is spread by directly touching the bodily fluids of an infected person. You cannot be infected simply by being near someone who has Ebola.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Daily Mail has more... 103 temp and nausea, plus direct contact with ebola patients in Africa, and been back in CONUS for 10 days? He might actually have ebola.

A doctor who treated Ebola patients in West Africa has been rushed to a New York City hospital with symptoms of the virus.

Dr Craig Spencer, who returned to the U.S. ten days ago, was admitted to Bellevue Hospital on Thursday.

The doctor was taken to the hospital from his home in Harlem after developing an 103F fever and nausea.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
sounds like a very likely possibility.

any news on phans boyfriend?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

None that I know of. As for the NY possible case - they sure are handling it well.

From CBS

The EMS crews responded to his home wore “F Suits,” which are Level D Hazmat gear that covers the entire body, CBS 2 reported.
“As a further precaution, beginning today, the Health Department’s team of disease detectives immediately began to actively trace all of the patient’s contacts to identify anyone who may be at potential risk,” officials said. “The Health Department staff has established protocols to identify, notify, and, if necessary, quarantine any contacts of Ebola cases.”
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Well at least it isn't Texas this time.   Has he been self quarantining sense his return from Africa?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well at least it isn't Texas this time.   Has he been self quarantining sense his return from Africa?
View Quote

I would hope so. Then again, if he were taking precautions and monitoring for possible symptoms he sure did wait a while before calling in the calvary.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I would hope so. Then again, if he were taking precautions and monitoring for possible symptoms he sure did wait a while before calling in the calvary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like the good doctor didn't want to stay home.

Vaughn Sterling @vplus  ·  11m 11 minutes ago

BREAKING: Possible NYC #Ebola didn't self-quarantine; took an über to Williamsburg bowling alley yesterday; now has fever/pain/nausea
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Kinda like the TSA announcement in airports about unattended bags, after the jihadis hijacked jets and flew them into buildings abd trued to blow up their shoes and underwear, why is the TSA still concerned with unattended bags inside the sure area where everything is supposedly screened?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>
Isn't "Have you been to Africa recently?" the alarm bell question? Already irrelevant for both nurses and their boyfriends (do the boyfriends actually have the Ebola?).

Kinda like the TSA announcement in airports about unattended bags, after the jihadis hijacked jets and flew them into buildings abd trued to blow up their shoes and underwear, why is the TSA still concerned with unattended bags inside the sure area where everything is supposedly screened?

Because they know their screeners are idiots and it's all security theater anyhow?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#35]
IT'S IN NEW YORK AAAAAAAAAH TIME FOR PANIC!!! HEAD FOR THE EXITS!!!

Seriously, if this dude did something dumb after returning from Africa like ride the subway or anything this city is going to FO epically.

Man, it's going to be SPECTACULAR to behold..... and just yesterday I checked the expiration date on my 4 cases of MREs after the expired MRE thread that was here a few  days ago. ahhhhhh time to take in the show!

Quoted:

None that I know of. As for the NY possible case - they sure are handling it well.

From CBS

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From CBS

The EMS crews responded to his home wore “F Suits,” which are Level D Hazmat gear that covers the entire body, CBS 2 reported.
“As a further precaution, beginning today, the Health Department’s team of disease detectives immediately began to actively trace all of the patient’s contacts to identify anyone who may be at potential risk,” officials said. “The Health Department staff has established protocols to identify, notify, and, if necessary, quarantine any contacts of Ebola cases.”

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Seriously, if this dude did something dumb after returning from Africa like ride the subway or anything this city is going to FO epically.

Man, it's going to be SPECTACULAR to behold..... and just yesterday I checked the expiration date on my 4 cases of MREs after the expired MRE thread that was here a few  days ago. ahhhhhh time to take in the show!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

From CBS

If he tests positive, NYC will be more interesting than normal for a little while.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Is it popcorn time?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is it popcorn time?
View Quote

No. It's peanut butter jelly time.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#39]
We should probably wall off all of NYC for the next 21 days just to be safe.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmmm... you might be on to something. Wall off NYC and NY might turn a nice shade of red, or at the very least purple.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Look 2 posts above yours.

The NBC doc and this guy make docs look pretty bad. What kind of clown school infectious diseases courses did they take? Better yet, "I've just been playing around with the biggest headline-grabbing disease in perhaps a decade. Should I keep my head down and not do anything that looks stupid? Should I at least wait a couple weeks from last high risk exposure before surreptitiously going into public? Nah. I'm a special snowflake."

Maybe I'm just paranoid or haven't yet achieved the clinical skill to have innate protection from sickness due to willpower alone.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vaughn Sterling @vplus  ·  11m 11 minutes ago

BREAKING: Possible NYC #Ebola didn't self-quarantine; took an über to Williamsburg bowling alley yesterday; now has fever/pain/nausea

If he does test positive, wandering around a bowling alley the day before could certainly get people a bit excited... hopefully nothing nasty emerges from that little trip...

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Edit: F**K!

That jerkass went bowling like a half a mile from where I live last night.

Shit just got real.

Also. anyone want to buy some cheap bowling balls?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Shit just got real.

View Quote

Do you use uber cabs?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#47]
In addition to learning that Williamsburg is a place in New York that exists, I have also learned that it is full of hipsters.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Now they are talking about quarantining the doctor's girlfriend...

Abundance of caution or first case in NYC?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Now they are talking about quarantining the doctor's girlfriend...

Abundance of caution or first case in NYC?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Do you use uber cabs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit just got real.

Do you use uber cabs?

What is wrong with these people that have been to Africa and know they could be putting others at risk.  Fucking idiots!!!!  
Page / 187
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top