Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Good Lord.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#2]
The Trinity River.

Remember, the Dallas City Council wants to build a toll road right here.  In between the levees  

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Either my prostate is going or that sound of water coming off my roof all night like a cow pissing on a flat rock is starting to get to me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Trinity River.

Remember, the Dallas City Council wants to build a toll road right here.  In between the levees  

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGM1BBLU0AAXiUp.jpg:large
View Quote

Would  a boat still have to pay the toll?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
How much looting has been going on/is expected. :)
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Whataburger in Fredericksburg, Texas is honoring 81 year old Kenny Reissig, a regular customer who was swept away by the Blanco river floodwaters over the weekend.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
After all this rain, Lake Travis is still 21  feet low. The past 5 years have been dry, very dry.

ETA it didn't help much that in 2010 the LCRA emptied the lake to flood rice fields in Wharton and Matagorda counties. Anyone notice a rice shortage in 2011-2015? I didn't think so.
View Quote

Unfortunately the water is sold at a VERY cheap price......and basically when the rice farmers there open their gates they can flood a 125 acre field in hours....
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

my 150gpm pump has had lots and lots of gas through it this year trying to keep my yard from becoming a pond

my first attempt at a garden is under there, somewhere

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s482/texrdnec/DB3A0756-1E76-4544-B3CF-05456C806839_zpshbpxhhxz.jpg
View Quote
Damn bro.  Just think of the mowing in a month.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#10]
At my work we just send a whole bunch of heaters/dryers along with gensets and other industrial items to Texas.

Don't know where exactly they are going but the one side of the shop was busy loading up trucks.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
At my work we just send a whole bunch of heaters/dryers along with gensets and other industrial items to Texas.

Don't know where exactly they are going but the one side of the shop was busy loading up trucks.

View Quote

Jade helm.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Be wary of cars coming up for sale in the next few months.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Be wary of cars coming up for sale in the next few months.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tat2d/media/KIMG0006_zpsbtynt9je.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Tat2d/KIMG0006_zpsbtynt9je.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tat2d/media/KIMG0009_zpsbvxurusg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Tat2d/KIMG0009_zpsbvxurusg.jpg</a>

View Quote

Wranglers have drain plugs in the floor boards.
We think ahead.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:45:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You mean the flooded trees part?  The designated flood channel is planned to get a toll road?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Trinity River.

You mean the flooded trees part?  The designated flood channel is planned to get a toll road?

Self cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:17:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:23:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Whataburger in Fredericksburg, Texas is honoring 81 year old Kenny Reissig, a regular customer who was swept away by the Blanco river floodwaters over the weekend.
http://i62.tinypic.com/2ivjh46.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/2mxqrmc.jpg

View Quote

I just heard about Mr. Reissig on the 10 o'clock news. Apparently he was seen clinging to a tree before being swept away.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:30:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:32:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It was criminal what they did to keep the rice farmers in business.
View Quote

I don't know the ins and outs of that specific situation, but growing up in a farming family my gut reaction is always to start out thinking that water for rural farmers is more important than water for clean cars and green lawns in suburbia.  

But I'm admittedly biased when it comes to urban vs rural priorities, since the politicians usually side with the larger number of urban votes.

I'm interested in the situation but don't want to hijack the thread.  Mind sending me a link to more info on the topic?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:46:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't know the ins and outs of that specific situation, but growing up in a farming family my gut reaction is always to start out thinking that water for rural farmers is more important than water for clean cars and green lawns in suburbia.  

But I'm admittedly biased when it comes to urban vs rural priorities, since the politicians usually side with the larger number of urban votes.

I'm interested in the situation but don't want to hijack the thread.  Mind sending me a link to more info on the topic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was criminal what they did to keep the rice farmers in business.

The LCRA had contracts with the coastal rice farmers to release so many acre feet per year. That's all well and good when Lake Travis is at conservation level. But once the drought started the LCRA continued to release water at the contract rate. Which was insane.

I don't think it went to court but there were very contentious meetings of the LCRA before the release was halted.

And I'm guessing the rice farmers are getting more than they want right about now.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:58:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Trinity River.

Not going to happen.  The last time they tried this shit the Army Corp of Engineers told them they could build it, but it would be torn down immediately afterwards.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:08:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
They drained Lake Buchanan over 20 ft in the summer of 2011.  At the same time (Summer, 2011), they were also draining Lake Travis, pulled it down 40 ft.

Who is in charge of those reservoirs where they are dumb enough to release 4 years worth of rain collection in a single summer?   To the point where it is going to take a couple good storms like the last 2 weeks to fill them up again.  

Realtime Info on levels:

Buchanan  Check the 2010-2014 boxes to show every year

Travis  Check the 2010-2014 boxes to show every year

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

After all this rain, Lake Travis is still 21  feet low. The past 5 years have been dry, very dry.

ETA it didn't help much that in 2010 the LCRA emptied the lake to flood rice fields in Wharton and Matagorda counties. Anyone notice a rice shortage in 2011-2015? I didn't think so.

They drained Lake Buchanan over 20 ft in the summer of 2011.  At the same time (Summer, 2011), they were also draining Lake Travis, pulled it down 40 ft.

Who is in charge of those reservoirs where they are dumb enough to release 4 years worth of rain collection in a single summer?   To the point where it is going to take a couple good storms like the last 2 weeks to fill them up again.  

Realtime Info on levels:

Buchanan  Check the 2010-2014 boxes to show every year

Travis  Check the 2010-2014 boxes to show every year

In context the summer of 2011 was the worst in a long time. We had over 100 days of 100F or hotter days in a 4 month period with little rain.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:30:54 AM EDT
[#25]
And another line of storms forming out west.  Just heard thunder.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Getting dumped on big time in west Dallas right now.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Just got an update from our county emergency management office (Houston county).  The Trinity river is expected to crest between 47.5 and 48 feet in the next two days.  Flood stage is 41 feet.  Currently at 44.3 feet.  A lot of ranches are going (further) under water soon.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Maybe, just maybe everyone will be able to get hay bailed this next week. Checked the weather forecast last night and it's less than 20% for the next 7-10 days. That's not including today because it's a monsoon right now.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#31]
The phone went off three times last night with flood warnings. So much for sleeping. There is no risk of flooding in my hood but everything outside sure is swampy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The phone went off three times last night with flood warnings. So much for sleeping. There is no risk of flooding in my hood but everything outside sure is swampy.
View Quote
Yeah, I had to wake up at 5 AM and turn the damned thing off.  

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I turned those stupid warnings off because they kept stopping my white noise generator.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#34]
been 7 hours since the last post...

yall drown?

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

yall drown?  
View Quote

Not yet.  Broke out the snorkel.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:17:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't understand how Lake Travis has gone up 40 feet, while Lake Buchanan has only gone up 5-6ft.  They are both the same size, acre storage wise, they aren't that far apart, and Buchanan has a larger catchment basin.  It would seem the gains should be the other way around.

Anybody with knowledge of the geography around those lakes have an idea why Buchanan has risen so little, even though it was in the path of most all the rain storms?

View Quote

Austin sucks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#38]
The sun is out in full force today...YAY!
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Here is where I WAS going to be spending the 4th of July weekend this year, just like the past 20 4th of July weekends:

Corps of Engineers just closed it down indefinitely...reservations cancelled.

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

yall drown?  
View Quote

No, we native Texan's have been out collecting crawdads and catfish.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Austin sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand how Lake Travis has gone up 40 feet, while Lake Buchanan has only gone up 5-6ft.  They are both the same size, acre storage wise, they aren't that far apart, and Buchanan has a larger catchment basin.  It would seem the gains should be the other way around.

Anybody with knowledge of the geography around those lakes have an idea why Buchanan has risen so little, even though it was in the path of most all the rain storms?

Austin sucks.

Snort.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
We have a house on Lake Buchanan so we watch it closely.  

1) The basin has gotten rain, but Mother Nature put most of the rain south and north.  If you watched the radar closely, you would have seen that the LB basin did not get nearly as much rain as the sister lakes down the Colorado.

2) The basin is big, but since LBJ is a constant level lake, you might as well count that basin in the Travis basin.   A whole lot of rain has fallen out towards Llano, and that has flowed through LBJ to Travis.  The Inks and LBJ dams have been releasing water Midnight-Midnight, moving ~17k acre feet a day down to Travis.  

Hopefully, we'll get some Rain in June to keep the lake rising.  Hopefully, LT and the lower Colorado shouldn't need any water from LB for a while.

Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top