Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I like the warning on the right missle box.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hope that wasn't taken from MechAssault reasoning which incorrectly uses Clan and Inner Sphere Mech names like they are different Mechs. The Mad Cat is the Inner Sphere name for the Clan Timberwolf, because when it was encountered it was confused by Inner Sphere targeting systems as a cross between a Marauder and Catapult. It's like the NATO code names for Russian military equipment when the Russian name wasn't known.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see a Jade Falcon Timberwolf, Mad Dog, and Jenner on patrol.  WTH is a Mad Cat?

ETA:  Last MW I played was II and Mercenaries.  I got a copy off eBay last year that runs on windows 8 and played it through again.

Mad Cat is the clan upgrade of the Timberwolf

Hope that wasn't taken from MechAssault reasoning which incorrectly uses Clan and Inner Sphere Mech names like they are different Mechs. The Mad Cat is the Inner Sphere name for the Clan Timberwolf, because when it was encountered it was confused by Inner Sphere targeting systems as a cross between a Marauder and Catapult. It's like the NATO code names for Russian military equipment when the Russian name wasn't known.

Actually, it was MechAssault. Thanks for correcting me. I learned something new today...
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I loved loading up a mech with 8-10 erppc's  2-3 volleys blew most up or at least shot off limbs, however overheating and shutting down and hoping they did not blow you up in the process was not fun. loved tossing a flamer on the mech too to force them to overheat.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks a lot like the Zentradei Glaug
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I loved loading up a mech with 8-10 erppc's  2-3 volleys blew most up or at least shot off limbs, however overheating and shutting down and hoping they did not blow you up in the process was not fun. loved tossing a flamer on the mech too to force them to overheat.
View Quote

I used to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Actual battlemech!

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Originally they announced MW5 with an Atlas fighting a Warhammer.  Then Harmony Gold got involved due to the Warhammer art and they pulled the video well after it had saturated the internet.

MW:O looks suspiciously like a 75% done MW5.  My friend and I have a theory that PGI bought the incomplete MW5 and finished coding it as much as they were able to the point MW:O is currently in.  They don't have the funding, time, or ability to completely finish it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why the fuck won't they release a Mechwarrior 5

Originally they announced MW5 with an Atlas fighting a Warhammer.  Then Harmony Gold got involved due to the Warhammer art and they pulled the video well after it had saturated the internet.

MW:O looks suspiciously like a 75% done MW5.  My friend and I have a theory that PGI bought the incomplete MW5 and finished coding it as much as they were able to the point MW:O is currently in.  They don't have the funding, time, or ability to completely finish it.

MW:O is garbage. Lots of promises that they failed to deliver on and a pay-to-win model pimping out expensive packages (ie too much money not going to content generation).
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no Pay To Win in MWO.  Anything you can buy for real money, you can get in game with game currency.  
The only thing real money does is let you get it faster.  
Also, Real cash gets you experience boosters if you don't have time to play a lot, and alternate paint schemes.  That's pretty much it.

MWO is upgrading steadily, working on re-balancing every single mech across the board, and implementing new PvE tutorials and hopefully PvE missions/campaigns at some point in the future.

They don't have CIG levels of cash rolling in, so they have to work with the budget they have on hand.

It's gotten better, especially after they bought out from their Publisher last year.  They were being driven in the wrong direction and held up by the publisher.  Now, everything is in house, with their vision and feedback from players directing things.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish they'd make a new MechWarrior with a great single player campaign.

I've heard MW Online is crappy or underwhelming.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Droppin a colony up in this thread.

http://i58.tinypic.com/28t7qx0.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Droppin a colony up in this thread.

http://i58.tinypic.com/28t7qx0.gif

too bad that bandai abandoned the US market. Having a MMO gundam game would be a dream come true. I think they have one, but it is all in japanese and only playable over there. Zeonic front was the closest we ever got.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There is no Pay To Win in MWO.  Anything you can buy for real money, you can get in game with game currency.  
Also, Real cash gets you experience boosters if you don't have time to play a lot, and alternate paint schemes.  That's pretty much it.

MWO is upgrading steadily, working on re-balancing every single mech across the board, and implementing new PvE tutorials and hopefully PvE missions/campaigns at some point in the future.

They don't have CIG levels of cash rolling in, so they have to work with the budget they have on hand.

It's gotten better, especially after they bought out from their Publisher last year.  They were being driven in the wrong direction and held up by the publisher.  Now, everything is in house, with their vision and feedback from players directing things.
View Quote

last I checked hero mechs and other premiums were only had via real world currency.
the chasis might be available via c-bills but the premium mechs are not.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

They got greedy.

If they'd simply made a new MechWarrior that supported larger battle sizes, they'd have easily sold enough to pay the bills.   Make it cross-platform (completely doable these days).  Throw in an addon campaign with new content every 18 months or so and they could keep it rolling all the way until the next console generation, which is a logical point to roll out a whole new title.

There are no new mechanics to sort out, no risks of whether or not people will enjoy it.  They simply fucking blew it.  This was like having an exclusive license to do a software version of chess and ending up with some free to play facebook abomination.

Hell, they couldn't even copy the business model of one of the successful free to play titles like World of Tanks... no, they went full retard (like most studios) and blew it because some fools in suits had raging boners about pie-in-the-sky profit projections.

It doesn't really matter what they've done since launch, you can't recover from a screwup of that magnitude.   Not enough people will trust them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They got greedy.

If they'd simply made a new MechWarrior that supported larger battle sizes, they'd have easily sold enough to pay the bills.   Make it cross-platform (completely doable these days).  Throw in an addon campaign with new content every 18 months or so and they could keep it rolling all the way until the next console generation, which is a logical point to roll out a whole new title.

There are no new mechanics to sort out, no risks of whether or not people will enjoy it.  They simply fucking blew it.  This was like having an exclusive license to do a software version of chess and ending up with some free to play facebook abomination.

Hell, they couldn't even copy the business model of one of the successful free to play titles like World of Tanks... no, they went full retard (like most studios) and blew it because some fools in suits had raging boners about pie-in-the-sky profit projections.

It doesn't really matter what they've done since launch, you can't recover from a screwup of that magnitude.   Not enough people will trust them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They got greedy.

No they wouldn't have.

Cross platform would have sucked.

The add on campaign? Every 18 months?  How would that be paid for with no recurring revenue stream? That's why DLC costs money, now it's in the EA model where it's pay to play for the game, pay to play for the DLC.

I guess if you like endless grinds like WoT with pay to win ammo, having a entire game with no tech tree unluck like MWO would be confusing.

I find it hilarious you think they "won't recover" they already have.  

Between the Urbanmech and now the Marauder bam.  Future secure.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

For the 3-6 month durations that new Mechs are only available using real currency the game is pay to win. And there has been a consistent pattern of nerfing the latest Mechs when they finally become available using C-Bills, in favor of the latest flavor of the month new Mech pack that begins the cycle again. So the game is always pay to win because they make new Mechs more viable or overpowered for the people that shell out real money for them, then suddenly decide to balance the game after months of complaints when the Mechs are free. They essentially piss off the players that don't pay for Mechs by having to face premium players with the new designs for a few months, then piss off the premium players by nerfing those Mechs and not giving them what they paid for, right when the playing field would have been evened up with the free players also having access to those designs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#21]
My trueborn body is ready.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#22]
When AOL was still a thing, I played.  The graphics where nowhere as good as they are today but it was still one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played.  

It never got out of beta, but I was member of a clan, my squad was a group of hunchbacks and we had a blast.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:22:48 PM EDT
[#23]
With the pen and paper game, designing battlemechs was my favorite thing.
I still have notebooks full of designs.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I enjoyed the boaed game, though by the time I got into it my free time shut down so I wasn't ablw to really enjoy it. I also didn't like that some of the mechs were redrawn properties from other robot stuff.

I'd love a nice robot game for a console that gives the feel of the scale of the mechs. Played one at Dave & Busters a long time ago but haven't had that scale since.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:52:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I want the MW fps game back that I played in like 2001 over dial up. Was that 4?
View Quote

There was a version for PS 1 back then that was an FPS type game....it was the game that got me into games......

then they went to third person omniscient...and I lost interest....

If I am not playing from the cockpit perspective, I just don't care about it.....

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#26]
comments....I hope Stackpole gets his money up front......
MW:O sucks......I put 100 bills into that turkey and I haven't even loaded it on this computer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:11:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yeah I preferred this Era. When you got into targeting computers, masc, CASE, LB-X autocannons, I went numb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

3050 tech is for pussies and munchkins.

Real men can fight and win on a hex board with 3025 tech!  

(Been playing since the game came out in 1986, still play from time to time)

Sven

Manticore Arms

Yeah I preferred this Era. When you got into targeting computers, masc, CASE, LB-X autocannons, I went numb.

I too prefered 3025 tech.  The clan's tech in some instances was just too good (clan ER medium laser compared to IS Large laser = laughable).  A lot of supposed 'improved IS' tech was counterproductive (medium laser vs medium pulse laser for double the weight you got 1 more point of damage.  The +2 that pulse lasers were supposed to get was entirely offset by the reduced range, unless you were in range 1 or 2)

I think it was a cop-out that 'star league era' tech magically happened to be exactly the same as IS 3050 tech.  Yes, in some cases Comstar and/or Word of Blake shared star league era technical know-how, but a lot of IS 3050 tech was supposed to be them actually doing research and improving their tech not just uncovering forgotten tech.

The exception was Gauss rifles, loved those, would have loved to see them take on more of those.

P.S. my favorite was the Thunderbolt!

A really solid mech.  I'd take the bone stock version head to head vs a Warhammer or Archer or even Marauder.  

Slightly modified by taking out the SRM-2 system plus ammo and you could sport a PPC in place of that large laser plus if you swapped the MGs for small lasers you could get 1 more heat sink and eliminate the risk of ammo explosion...or just pull them all together for more heat sinks and you have a real potent mech.

To me, moderate changes like that made sense, but some of the really goofy changes you could cook up just because the numbers added up didn't make sense.  Our group ran the following rules for modifying mechs.

-Can remove any weapon/ammo and replace it with a heat sink, or to free up weight for more armor, jump jets or swapping a different weapon for a heavier replacement.

-can increase heat sinks by a max of 4.

-Can reduce or increase tons of armor

-Can add jump jets

-Can replace a 'gun' with a different size 'gun' of roughly the same size/weight (PPC, Large laser & Autocannons with each other...medium laser, small laser, flamers, & machineguns with each other)

-Can replace missile launchers with other missile launchers (swap out an LRM 20 to a LRM 15 so you could have more armor or heat sinks, heck swap out an LRM-10 for an SRM-6 if you desired, but no taking your Archer and swapping those LRM-20s for chest mounted PPCs)  Could swap long for multiple shorts in the same location and vice versa  (Shoulder mounted LRM-15 could be swapped for a pair of SRM-6es on that same shoulder) but swapping of a single LRM-20 for 4 LRM-5s was considered cheese and not allowed.  (people would do it as you'd be more likely to hit with SOME of your missiles, and an enemy getting a crit on that spot would knock out just 1 LRM-5, vs knocking out an entire LRM-20)

Another favorite was the Centurion

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:05:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I could never understand the use of the autocannon-5.  Bunch of medium machines mounted this atrocity that has decent range but is heavy, uses a lot of internal space, has an ammo bin that can go boom, and let's face it 5 points of damage is just gonna piss off anything other than a light 'Mech.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:07:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I love the Battle Tech Universe. Heck I got mini's of the Spider, Thunder Stallion, AxMan, and Barghest still in the packaging, and all the book's and TRO's till FASA went under, all the novels, and worked the Battle Tech Pods from 1998 to 2003 at Dave and Busters in Marietta.

Would love to see the Universe one way or another bust out and make the come back it deserves. But so far over the last decade plus no one seems to have the ability to bring it around again.

Heck Dark Age stuff died a swift death to my knowledge.  Read about 10 of the Dark Ages books just to be told no more would ever be made. The MWO is happening, but failing to deliver overall, and Catalyst Games I haven't been able to order a physical TRO from except the one post Jihad TRO. I get it 21st Century pdf's rule, but not really. I have them on my book shelf beside the couple of Jane's real life weapons, and similar books I have bought over the years.

I believe, and always will, but I just wish someone would. or could step up, and knock it out of the park again. Well till someone does I'll leave the light on and hope for the best. It really is "Home" far as Sci-Fi military goes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:09:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms

The introduction of the Clans killed the entire dynamic of the BattleTech universe.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:30:17 AM EDT
[#31]
It really did. And the sad part is they could have made it work, but all the equipment that could have made it work was scattered around 3050 to 3060 plus. Clans as a idea wasn't  really a bad idea imo. But but 3050 clan mechs rocking Light Engines, and heavier LRM and SRM racks would have kept things in check better.

Instead it was right off the bat  Clan XL engines which was a bad call imo. Instead 3060 plus era Inner Sphere Light Engine should have been what the Clans started off with in 3050, and what the Inner Sphere should have been able to develop into solid designs by the 3055 TRO. XL engines post 3060 plus, and I think the game would have survived long term. Weapons make sense over a scale of time, but I don't get it really. Clans should have been closer to the 2750 TRO with the Inner Sphere playing catch up over a shorter period of time.

WoB Jihad to post Jihad by what I have seen 3068 onward the tech levels out between the factions, but it was implemented badly in the 3050 to 3068 era of the Btech Universe, and that messed things up to much.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:38:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I could never understand the use of the autocannon-5.  Bunch of medium machines mounted this atrocity that has decent range but is heavy, uses a lot of internal space, has an ammo bin that can go boom, and let's face it 5 points of damage is just gonna piss off anything other than a light 'Mech.
View Quote

In tabletop it and the AC/2 were useful in an anti-aircraft role, it has the same range brackets as the standard PPC so they synchronize well, and in advanced rules it can take advantage of multiple ammo types especially the armor piercing for through armor critical hits.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:39:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

It really did. And the sad part is they could have made it work, but all the equipment that could have made it work was scattered around 3050 to 3060 plus. Clans as a idea wasn't  really a bad idea imo. But but 3050 clan mechs rocking Light Engines, and heavier LRM and SRM racks would have kept things in check better.

Instead it was right off the bat  Clan XL engines which was a bad call imo. Instead 3060 plus era Inner Sphere Light Engine should have been what the Clans started off with in 3050, and what the Inner Sphere should have been able to develop into solid designs by the 3055 TRO. XL engines post 3060 plus, and I think the game would have survived long term. Weapons make sense over a scale of time, but I don't get it really. Clans should have been closer to the 2750 TRO with the Inner Sphere playing catch up over a shorter period of time.

WoB Jihad to post Jihad by what I have seen 3068 onward the tech levels out between the factions, but it was implemented badly in the 3050 to 3068 era of the Btech Universe, and that messed things up to much.
View Quote

I think the clan invasion was a good thing, it really helped to broaden the Battletech universe. It brought things full circle with the Kerensky exodus storyline. But I agree that the tech was too much, too fast. The whole WoB Jihad was a good idea also, but it could have been done much better IMO.

I won't even give my opinion on the whole "Dark Age" "Republic Of The Sphere" crap.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:48:24 AM EDT
[#34]
I will say the Dark Age books weren't to horrible till somehow it was decided Kia Allard's like great grand daughter who inherited Yen-Lo-Wang should be raped by one of  Victor Davion's sudden "Liao scale nutty" great grand son's. It started off good enough with Stackpole writing Ghost Knight, but by book 10 or so it was like screw it wake me up around 2150-3200 if the IP lives that long.

Which is right when it was all canned. And some lesbian Kurita lady trying the whole kill the person who dishonored me, and then kill myself because like... Well Kurita!

But the Drac's never made much sense to me. Hard to stay a cohesive nation if your best have to kill themselves after losing a fight imo. Training a Mechwarrior or three every generation has to cost more than the freaking 500 year old mech they ride in.

I say the above thinking Wolves on the Border, and Heir to the Dragon are top 5 material of the 80 plus novels written. Awesome characters, but really death before dishonor in a era where the mechs alone start costing 10 million plus C-Bills (1990's One Comstar bill equaled $5 USD apply lots for inflation to catch up to 2015) you can't kill yourself for losing even multiple times. It cost as much over the years to train you as it does to buy, or maintain your freaking mech.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 3:49:49 AM EDT
[#35]
I love Mechwarrior. I used to play MWO a lot, but quit just before the clan mechs came out. My lap top is running kinda slow, I need to do a fresh install I think and try it again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 4:03:46 AM EDT
[#36]
My step son has wasted hundreds and of dollars on those little pieces of plastic crap.  It boggles the mind that anyone would pay so much money for what is essentially 5 cents worth of plastic.

He has probably gotten tired of them now.  We have boxes of that crap in the house.  Can't wait to haul it to the dumpster.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 4:29:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My step son has wasted hundreds and of dollars on those little pieces of plastic crap.  It boggles the mind that anyone would pay so much money for what is essentially 5 cents worth of plastic.

He has probably gotten tired of them now.  We have boxes of that crap in the house.  Can't wait to haul it to the dumpster.
View Quote

You can get good money for it on ebay.

And ask yourself if you would have preferred he spend it on drugs instead?
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 5:38:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
Take pictures of them all, throw in trash, post pictures then let us laugh as we give you the dollar values of them.

It'll be the best thread ever!
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

As opposed to a hobby where you are literally throwing as much as a dollar away every time you pull the trigger?
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#40]
The Battletech cartoon was awesome.  I read a few books as well.

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Take pictures of them all, throw in trash, post pictures then let us laugh as we give you the dollar values of them.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A it's been said Ebay worse case. Every Mech and vehicle mini I have I could at least break even if not make a nice profit if I sold them. Tossing in the garbage is like tossing money in the trash can. Especially if it ends up being Warhammer 40k stuff. Due to the extreme pricing of new products it seems like the used market can be quiote profitable when someone chooses to sell what are now mostly discontinued mini's and vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#42]
IMO the Clans were handled badly.  I like the story line of them, but these supposed master warriors whose whole society is based around duels has superior long range weapons? I would've made their weapons much better at shorter ranges that hit very hard (like the Heavy version of lasers they introduced later) to show the nature of their dueling experiences over the centuries.  When I hear dueling, I think knights dancing around one another, not the archers at Agincort.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

IMO the Clans were handled badly.  I like the story line of them, but these supposed master warriors whose whole society is based around duels has superior long range weapons? I would've made their weapons much better at shorter ranges that hit very hard (like the Heavy version of lasers they introduced later) to show the nature of their dueling experiences over the centuries.  When I hear dueling, I think knights dancing around one another, not the archers at Agincort.
View Quote
And some of the clan stuff was just silly.

There were way too many duels to the death to be logical.  IIRC when a young warrior wanted to earn a position in a 'star' (unit of 5 mechs) after graduating his training there was a 'trial of position' where he would fight up to 5 battles with the various current members of the star...to the death.  But here's the illogic.  You have 5 current guys and a really promising cadet wins his first duel, and then looses his next duel, now you have 1 dead original member, 1 dead applicant, and only 4 guys in the current unit.  Plus you'd have 2 destroyed mechs and likely 1 heavily damaged mech.  Sure, the cans had more factories and tech knowledge and parts etc so they could probably fix or get a replacement for those mechs, but what huge resource drain of materials even if you turn a blind eye to the loss of life.  

It gets even worse when an opening for a 'blood name' comes, as only a small number of warriors of a bloodline are allowed a blood name.  Dozens of warriors show up and all fight to the death.  And note these are experienced established warriors.  So now you loose 20-30 mechs and 20-30 warriors.  What a waste. Silly.  Illogical.  And contradictory to the whole idea of the clans where they don't care about the individual so much as keeping the clan strong.  Doing silly shit like that doesn't keep the clan strong.  If you want to duel someone to the death for honor or something, do it nekked with a knife and don't destroy a mech in the process.  (and they'd go to great lengths to stress that unlike Inner Sphere trials of combat to earn a position in a unit they didn't use simulated combat or reduced power weapons or anything short of full power real deal blow shit apart until one was dead style 'trials')

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There were way too many duels to the death to be logical.  IIRC when a young warrior wanted to earn a position in a 'star' (unit of 5 mechs) after graduating his training there was a 'trial of position' where he would fight up to 5 battles with the various current members of the star...to the death.  But here's the illogic.  You have 5 current guys and a really promising cadet wins his first duel, and then looses his next duel, now you have 1 dead original member, 1 dead applicant, and only 4 guys in the current unit.  Plus you'd have 2 destroyed mechs and likely 1 heavily damaged mech.  Sure, the cans had more factories and tech knowledge and parts etc so they could probably fix or get a replacement for those mechs, but what huge resource drain of materials even if you turn a blind eye to the loss of life.  

It gets even worse when an opening for a 'blood name' comes, as only a small number of warriors of a bloodline are allowed a blood name.  Dozens of warriors show up and all fight to the death.  And note these are experienced established warriors.  So now you loose 20-30 mechs and 20-30 warriors.  What a waste. Silly.  Illogical.  And contradictory to the whole idea of the clans where they don't care about the individual so much as keeping the clan strong.  Doing silly shit like that doesn't keep the clan strong.  If you want to duel someone to the death for honor or something, do it nekked with a knife and don't destroy a mech in the process.  (and they'd go to great lengths to stress that unlike Inner Sphere trials of combat to earn a position in a unit they didn't use simulated combat or reduced power weapons or anything short of full power real deal blow shit apart until one was dead style 'trials')

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the Trials weren't to the death, it was just that since it was live-fire combat, deaths happened.  Sort of like melees and lists in the medieval days.  Sometimes shit happens.    But I agree, the Clans were supposed to be against waste and here they are wasting mechs, armor, tech time, ammo, etc, when it could've just been in a simulator.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 4:21:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
When AOL was still a thing, I played.  The graphics where nowhere as good as they are today but it was still one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played.  

It never got out of beta, but I was member of a clan, my squad was a group of hunchbacks and we had a blast.  

View Quote

I loved MPBT, played a lot of it when it moved to Gamestorm where you weren't charged by the hour. The way the community organized itself for community warfare between the houses was awesome.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I too prefered 3025 tech.  The clan's tech in some instances was just too good (clan ER medium laser compared to IS Large laser = laughable).  A lot of supposed 'improved IS' tech was counterproductive (medium laser vs medium pulse laser for double the weight you got 1 more point of damage.  The +2 that pulse lasers were supposed to get was entirely offset by the reduced range, unless you were in range 1 or 2)

I think it was a cop-out that 'star league era' tech magically happened to be exactly the same as IS 3050 tech.  Yes, in some cases Comstar and/or Word of Blake shared star league era technical know-how, but a lot of IS 3050 tech was supposed to be them actually doing research and improving their tech not just uncovering forgotten tech.

The exception was Gauss rifles, loved those, would have loved to see them take on more of those.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/thumb/f/f4/3025_thunderbolt.jpg/191px-3025_thunderbolt.jpg.png

A really solid mech.  I'd take the bone stock version head to head vs a Warhammer or Archer or even Marauder.  

Slightly modified by taking out the SRM-2 system plus ammo and you could sport a PPC in place of that large laser plus if you swapped the MGs for small lasers you could get 1 more heat sink and eliminate the risk of ammo explosion...or just pull them all together for more heat sinks and you have a real potent mech.

To me, moderate changes like that made sense, but some of the really goofy changes you could cook up just because the numbers added up didn't make sense.  Our group ran the following rules for modifying mechs.
-Can remove any weapon/ammo and replace it with a heat sink, or to free up weight for more armor, jump jets or swapping a different weapon for a heavier replacement.
-Can add jump jets
-Can replace a 'gun' with a different size 'gun' of roughly the same size/weight (PPC, Large laser & Autocannons with each other...medium laser, small laser, flamers, & machineguns with each other)
-Can replace missile launchers with other missile launchers (swap out an LRM 20 to a LRM 15 so you could have more armor or heat sinks, heck swap out an LRM-10 for an SRM-6 if you desired, but no taking your Archer and swapping those LRM-20s for chest mounted PPCs)  Could swap long for multiple shorts in the same location and vice versa  (Shoulder mounted LRM-15 could be swapped for a pair of SRM-6es on that same shoulder) but swapping of a single LRM-20 for 4 LRM-5s was considered cheese and not allowed.  (people would do it as you'd be more likely to hit with SOME of your missiles, and an enemy getting a crit on that spot would knock out just 1 LRM-5, vs knocking out an entire LRM-20)

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/thumb/0/01/3025_Centurion1.jpg/191px-3025_Centurion1.jpg.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/thumb/f/f4/3025_thunderbolt.jpg/191px-3025_thunderbolt.jpg.png

-Can add jump jets

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/thumb/0/01/3025_Centurion1.jpg/191px-3025_Centurion1.jpg.png

We ended up only allowing book mechs. You could only field published variants and anything that was limited to certain houses/units was likewise limited. Made the game a hell of a lot more fun since there were a lot fewer obnoxious much builds and it fit the setting.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Love this universe.  MWO have my name in the credits, but as others have stated was a bit of a let down.  That and I played too many hours in the beta.  Still have a bunch of minis, and TRO's, got ahold of all the books in digital format, and even have the cartoon series ripped to a hard drive somewhere...  good times indeed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

You shut the fuck up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Robotech ripoff.
You shut the fuck up.

Actually that was exactly what they set out to do.  Somewhere I have an early collection of short stories title Shrapnel publish by FASA and in the introduction they come right out and say that Battletech was created to westernize Macross/Robotech/Dougram/etc and to make it more gritty and less Utopian by setting it in a dark age of mankind.

ETA:

"The Battletech game, supplements, scenarios, and other relate fictional products are offshoots of an idea that came to me in 1984, when my own imagination was captured by the strong images that the Japanese had created for their animated television series featuring huge, walking battle machines.  Though the graphics for these man-like and insect-like monoliths was fantastic, the Japanese storylines still left my Western mind unsatisfied.  And so I set off to create my own fictional universe where men used fearsome, 10 or 12-meter tall monsters of destruction call BattleMechs to carry their endless struggles for domination across the stars.

What I wanted was a universe that had a taste of the alien, but that did not contain aliens. As in other science fiction, we produced this effect of strangeness combined with familiarity by changing only one of the basic premises we take for granted in the "real world." In contemporary society, new technology is automatically superior to what came before. That means a computer that is only five years old soon becomes completely obsolete.  It was that premise that we turned on its head for Battletech."

-Jordan K. Weisman  Introduction; Shrapnel

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

AWS-8Q FTMFW!!

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Oh, looked what Catalyst decided to release today:  New Marauder art and it's fucking epic.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top