BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd heard that; that's why I said old Eagle stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's good stuff, but not noticeably better than my old Eagle stuff.

Eagle has gone downhill, before I got my RAID I ordered an A3 through SKD.

Made in SE Asia or some other third world country now mine had missing stitching,loose stitching,etc. Sent it back and picked up a raid.

Not sure if they have fixed the problems since then, but I was not impressed.

I'd heard that; that's why I said old Eagle stuff.

Yep, My Eagle A-lll is pre PALS. Solid as fuck, made here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Their stuff goes on sale and it's a lot cheaper. I bought one of their 3 day assault packs (smaller than the one above) when they were on sale recently and it's an EXTREMELY well made pack. I haven't used it yet, but it seems like it's built like a tank and will hold up extremely well to hard use.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Those go on sale occasionally for less than $90.
View Quote

Isn't that the assault 3 day pack? Not the same thing as the "extended 3 day" pack.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Isn't that the assault 3 day pack? Not the same thing as the "extended 3 day" pack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the  same bag linked in the op on sale a while back.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your right. The assault pack was $50. The one above was $90 recently, but wasn't available in coyote brown IIRC or I'd have gotten that one. I might pick one up if they ever go on sale again just to have one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

People want to feel like soldiers, and while a well made top loading non-tactical pack might last longer, carry better, and be superior in almost all aspects... It's not tacticool and doesn't have camo fabrics available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never really understood the tactical backpack thing.  I'm grabbing my tried and true backpacking pack if I need to go somewhere for a few days without resupply.

People want to feel like soldiers, and while a well made top loading non-tactical pack might last longer, carry better, and be superior in almost all aspects... It's not tacticool and doesn't have camo fabrics available.

I bought mine for $50. Yeah man I wanted to be a poser. Nevermind that I didn't get a camo one either. You are so lame if you spend $50 on a versatile backpack that's built like a tank!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone told me they are have to market them for the prices they charge the government. Their way of selling for less then that is the MIL/LEO programs, and all teh huge sales they do.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

5.7lbs for a 44 liter pack...  That's a joke.
View Quote
This. Does anybody actually...I don't know, go backpacking with this stuff? When the shit hasn't hit the fan, people might consider actually doing a 3-day backcountry trip with all the useless shit they've bought, and see how happy they are with it.

It's hideously overpriced (it's almost comical) and it weighs more than 2x as much as it ought to, and that's being generous.

"Whatever floats yer boat", I guess.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This. Does anybody actually...I don't know, go backpacking with this stuff? When the shit hasn't hit the fan, people might consider actually doing a 3-day backcountry trip with all the useless shit they've bought, and see how happy they are with it.    

It's hideously overpriced (it's almost comical) and it weighs more than 2x as much as it ought to, and that's being generous.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't weigh more than 2x as much as it ought to for what it was designed for.  I've never backpacked for fun; Uncle Sam gave me all the humping I'd care to do.  But I've looked at some friends' gear and from what I've seen good commercial stuff is better in almost every way than tactical stuff for pleasure backpacking.  Lighter, laid out better, and way more comfortable.  Most commercial stuff wouldn't stand up to military abuse, but if you're not doing that I'd be buying from REI, not SKD.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know shit about packs, but what I can tell you is - THEY ARE ALL OVERPRICED
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
3 pages of butthurt over a pack?
View Quote

I know, right?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll take my Deuter ACT 50liter pack over that any day and I only paid $100. Then again, it is made to carry my stuff efficiently and comfortably, but has zero tacticool stuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't buy mine for hiking (though i'll be going on a 13mi hike shortly, will write an AAR). I bought it to use as a carry on..this of course assuming it fits. But it'll reduce the amount of bags I need.

On a side note, anyone ever fly with two backpacks? Iv'e got a camera bag and this bag I want.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hike for exercise, so I don't care that the pack is heavy. I load it with heavy shit on purpose. I've probably got 100 miles on my pack since I got it, and it is a great little pack (3day assault) so far. Very heavy duty.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
last longer? not likely that a tissue paper ulta light osprey will outlast a London Bridge Trading Company.  

And at least one of the well respected ultra light pack companies makes camo packs

I agree if you are going to walk along groomed trails, with a light load of ultra light gear most people are better off with a civy pack
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never really understood the tactical backpack thing.  I'm grabbing my tried and true backpacking pack if I need to go somewhere for a few days without resupply.

last longer? not likely that a tissue paper ulta light osprey will outlast a London Bridge Trading Company.  

And at least one of the well respected ultra light pack companies makes camo packs

I agree if you are going to walk along groomed trails, with a light load of ultra light gear most people are better off with a civy pack

I'm not talking ultralight packs. There are more robust packs designed for abuse (mountaineering, climbing, etc) that I'd wager are just as unlikely to fail under conditions 99% of members here would ever subject them to.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top