User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think it depends on the specific bullet and the purpose it was designed for.  I think there are some other Barnes bullets that also have good performance through windshields, and some that do poorly and shed petals.

In this case, you have to go back to the who and why this bullet was designed.  It was designed as an anti personel round for environments with a lot of barriers.  In other places, Rsilvers said that the bullet capabilities could be changed to be more civilian/law enforcement centric, but that someone would have to pay for the development.  Essentially, some military unit spec'ed out what they wanted and paid for it, and now we get the benefit of the development.  

I would love to see more testing, it's a shame there isn't someone here who has a .300blk upper, access to gel and a windshield and a camera.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
  Yeah, linking to that site is frowned upon, some bad blood from the past.  The owner of the other site is a bit of a douche, but there is decent info there.

About the barriers, check the .pdf.  There is a section there on it, extremely impressive.  Rsilvers also posted info on it on other forums during the development of the round.  IIRC, that specific bullet was designed for some unnamed military unit for their specific requirements.  So in my mind, it's a bit excessive on penetration for general purpose, but the barrier blind capability and expansion at range overcomes that.  

That bullet is the only reason why I have a .300blk upper.  Ideal for a SBR/pistol in a vehicle.  

Awesome. It's a large .pdf and was taking forever to load on my phone. Is that tacked in the ammo forum? It should be. Lots of good info in there. I thought that solid copper bullets usually had trouble with windshields and other hard barriers. Is this the exception or is my prejudice incorrect?

I concur that the penetration is a bit high for personal defense, but I also believe that the risk of over penetration is largely overstated.

I'd also like to see some more testing from people who don't work for AAC, though. Not that I think Rsilvers is being deceitful or anything.

I think it depends on the specific bullet and the purpose it was designed for.  I think there are some other Barnes bullets that also have good performance through windshields, and some that do poorly and shed petals.

In this case, you have to go back to the who and why this bullet was designed.  It was designed as an anti personel round for environments with a lot of barriers.  In other places, Rsilvers said that the bullet capabilities could be changed to be more civilian/law enforcement centric, but that someone would have to pay for the development.  Essentially, some military unit spec'ed out what they wanted and paid for it, and now we get the benefit of the development.  

I would love to see more testing, it's a shame there isn't someone here who has a .300blk upper, access to gel and a windshield and a camera.  

LOL, I mean more professional testing.

I do plan to do more testing with .300 AAC, though. I actually bought a box of HPR 150 gr soft point for testing. That will make this one of my most expensive tests to date. I usually test ammunition that was sent by a forum member or, in a few cases, the manufacturer. I can't afford to spend much money on the testing, it costs quite a bit more to produce the tests than YouTube gives me as it is, but I am really interested in this cartridge.

I hope that Federal starts to make some Fusion in .300 soon. I think that a 120ish gr Fusion would be a real solid performer for LE and private citizens. Based on what I've seen from .223/5.56mm and 7.62x39mm, it ought to have a very low expansion threshold and also be fairly barrier blind.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top