Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2016 12:56:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KeenansGarage]
This is more for a general discussion than anything. When I first started shooting a few years ago, I was wondering why some shooters use of video cameras/cell phones/go pros and such. I knew I was cool, I didn't need a video to prove it. (I was wrong) I even poked fun at some of them. Now I get someone to video me when I shoot to improve things. Here are some of the major things I learned from watching videos. It actually helped me to video others properly too. I am not a pro, I don't have expensive equipment, but I like to be competitive and not always score middle of the pack.

I learned that I was not bringing my pistol up to eye level on reloads. Fixed that quick.
I learned that my footwork is all kinds of messed up. After watching some other videos my foot steps are more confident and placed appropriately. It was awkward to see how I was stepping, taking too many steps, not planting my feet when I got to a box, etc. This was one of the major improvements in my time!!!!
I learned that you have to tighten your USPSA holster or your pistol ends up on the ground.
I learned that I still reach for my pistol and AR mags when I reload a shotgun. The shells are on the front dufus.
I learned that as I move through a stage my hand moves closer to my magwell on my AR. This makes for an inconsistent shooting posture.

Although some of these things I learned when they happened, some I never knew I was doing it until I watched a video.

Now, as for taking videos, I also learned how to film someone to actually SEE what they are doing correctly and incorrectly. A lot of people video over your shoulder so they can see the targets. Ultimately, I want a side view. It shows how my feet are placed in a shooting box, where I am gripping my rifle, how good (or bad) my reload was, and to see if I could have moved differently through a stage. It makes me choose who videos me with a little more scrutiny.

One of these days, I will do the whole youtube/facebook/instagram thing so others can see....but until then, I just sit at home and watch them by myself.

So, my question to you guys/gals, what did you learn after watching videos of you shooting???
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You can learn a lot by filming yourself. Even more if you have an iPhone6 or up. The slow motion video catches things that you won't see on normal video.

Were I really learned a lot was by having a buddy film me in slo mo, and then I would film the better shooters on the same stage in slo mo. The A, M, and GM shooters don't just shoot better than the rest of us, they do everything better. I got to were I would talk to the better shooters during stage planning and I would take the same stage plan they did. Showed the differences in footwork and soo much more. It helps if you know the better shooters. Not all shooters will share their stage plans with some random person. They may talk about after the fact, but not while they are planning themselves.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Still rolling an iPhone 4.....Yet another reason to upgrade my phone! I never thought of slow-motion since I didn't have those capabilities.

I have always found I shoot better when I shoot with better shooters. I think they also push you to try a little more. Maybe through encouragement, maybe through planning, and maybe through 'Damnit I just want to shoot as fast as they did!".
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
You will never really get better if you don't shoot with people who are better than you. I learned a lot about stage planning, and movement from better shooters. Best thing I have done so far though, is to take a class with a Pro. (Shannon Smith)
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Having other people film you and running go-pros are a great way to improve and until you see yourself you won't improve.

Echo learning from better shooter, but remember they can do things that your not ready to do.  Especially watching open shooters if you're production
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top