Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2023 11:07:37 PM EDT
Am in the Rav4 for up to 6 hours/day as an RN going between home hospice patients visits. Other than singing along very off key to the radio, I have a "V" shaped hand gripper that I use to pass the time. Currently, the SWAG method I'm using is to squeeze the hand gripper at every telephone pole or traffic sign.

It is my opinion (again, I'm an RN and not a personal trainer or physical therapist or professional trainer) that increased hand strength will equate to better control of the handgun which will result in better match scores. What I'm looking for are exercises can be done with one hand while driving to utilize otherwise wasted time. Naturally, driving safety is always a factor which automatically rules out exercises such as towel pullups.

¿What has been done in the past that has worked to increase hand strength? Again, particularly exercises or small pieces of equipment, such as the hand gripper, that can be done while driving? Proverbial dumb question is whether there are better hand grippers out there other than this random one that just appeared in a junk drawer that I'm currently using. Saw some that went up in the SuperMan stupid range of 350#; but, what is reasonable # to start off with?

Appreciate whatever insights that y'all may have.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen bands that wrap around your fingers that require you to extend your fingers, so strengthening in the other direction. If you do any strength training or GPP before work, deadlifts and holding the weight at the top of the rep is good, pull-ups, rowing exercises, or even just hanging from a pull-up bar can work on your grip strength and help with alignment of your joins.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Anything you can squeeze.

Hand towel- grab an end and use you fingers to draw it up onto a ball and squeeze that ball a few times and repeat.

Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:59:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jsg7162] [#3]
I used to work with a ER Doc who was a free climber and used this. Comes in different strengths.  I have used it before, pretty good stuff.  Bunch of different exercises you can do with it.

Exercise Putty
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:27:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jsg7162:
I used to work with a ER Doc who was a free climber and used this. Comes in different strengths.  I have used it before, pretty good stuff.  Bunch of different exercises you can do with it.

Exercise Putty
View Quote

Thusly ordered.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:31:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wganz] [#5]
found this:

Specific Strength Training for Shooters - Grip Strength by Ron Avery (Remastered)

and:
https://tacticalperformancecenter.com/grip-strength/
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Captains of Crush grippers are good. If you get a chance to lift between work and sleep, I would suggest getting some Fat Gripz or something similar to use when doing pulling movements. That will strengthen your hands/forearms for sure.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been using a Grip Master for years. You can work your entire hand or individual fingers. The have several different options.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UMFT22?tag=arfcom00-20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top