Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2024 2:11:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kornbread]
Would you trust a rifle can that just threaded together? As in, the end cap threaded to the tube, and the QD mount threaded into the other end with the baffle stack sandwiched between? ? I was planning on welding the two seams, because all my current factory cans (AAC, DA) are one piece and welded together. I know my rimfire cans come apart for servicing, and I was thinking that might be nice on this as well. Obviously I don't want it blowing apart, hence my hesitation.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a ton of them out there built like that without any issues.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#2]
JMHO, but I would guess most factory 'tube and baffle' cans that are welded shut are done so to hide the proprietary secret squirrel baffle stack design and to keep folks with overactive booger hooks from mucking around with them and not for any strength issues  

The only issue I can recall ever hearing about is a too short baffle stack that was allowed to slam back and forth and eventually blew the distal cap off.  Build it right and you will be fine
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:11:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I specifically bought a Huntertown Arms 5.56 Kestrel because it came apart - I needed to be able to dissemble and clean it because I was going to shooting corrosive 5.45 through it. Added benefit of being able to rotate which baffle is #1 in the stack so it's not the same baffle taking a beating everytime.

There's a lot of F1 cans built with removeable endcaps/mounts. No need to weld the ends, maybe Loctite if you're concerned about the mount getting stuck and the rest of the can  unscrews when you try to remove the can - BTDT

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Kornbread: Obviously I don't want it blowing apart, hence my hesitation.
View Quote

Are you worried about it blowing off the muzzle threads?
If not, how is that any different? That's an honest question.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#5]
You could always select a middle option and Rocksett it.  Normal Loctite isn't going to do much at suppressor working temps.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ParityError:
You could always select a middle option and Rocksett it.  Normal Loctite isn't going to do much at suppressor working temps.
View Quote

I did this with the first F1 rifle can I built.  I wasn't ready to weld Ti and I didn't want anything coming loose so I glued it together with Rocksett.  It's held up for years and years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top