Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2023 1:09:47 PM EDT
I was just wondering if anyone made such a thing.
something like a trapdoor or maybe a break open like a double barrel shot gun.
I saw forgotten weapons on the ferguson but not sure if any improvement was ever made on it, with modern tech.
I see basically bolt action breach loaders that use the shotgun primer, but was more curious about a flint lock style, so I didn't have to find primers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe there is anything like that on the market - but you've certainly given me some ideas. Thank you for that!
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#2]
lol, well please remember me if you build them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:00:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockRash] [#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:02:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockRash] [#4]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Not a flintlock.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
There also was the Hall rifle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The hall rifle is interesting, looks like they make a kit to build one.
that nitro fire, seems to be the worst of both worlds.
I have to ram the bullet into the muzzle, then break it open to charge it. very weird. I get the whole impervious to weather angle, but why not let me drop the bullet in from the back too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Prolly so it is still a muzzleloader and passes state hunting rules
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
A Closer Look: 1690 Cartridge Breech Loading Flintlock Pistol By The Esteemed Andreas Reinhold Dolep
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]
that is interesting too.
couldn't find a modern repro.

The hall one gave me some other idea's.
It would be interesting to have a milled slot over the pan hole that would let you either put on a cap or a second one you could drop a 209 in and just change the hammer.
So it could use all 3 types of firing mechanism.

I say the hall type since it was a straight down drop instead of coming from the side.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#12]
You will never run out of 209 primers if you order 5000 today

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00350ch2095c/cheddite-209-primers-5000-count-case

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#13]
actually already have more than I will ever use due to quick draw.
used them a while back for special cases drilled out for it, so you didn't need regular primers.
they switched to only primed regular cases a while back and I had quick going anyway. so I have a bunch stacked up that I never use. lol.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 10:56:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#14]
Prior to the American Revolution and in Boston, there was an imported breechloader that was heads and shoulders above the Ferguson.  The Lorenzoni style  rifle has a magazine in the stock that held the powder in one chamber and the ball in the other.  When held muzzle down (gravity), a rotating breechblock operated by a crank handle caused the breechblock to drop a ball into the breechblock and then with a bit more turning, powder right after it.  Rotating the crank handle back to its position of rest put the powder and ball inline with the barrel.  You primed and then fired.

It of course required a high degree of skill on the part of the gunsmith.  You don't want a spark to jump from the breechblock into the powder storage in the buttstock.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/72/3279/rare-wilson-flintlock-eight-shot-lorenzoni-system-repeating
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Riter:
You don't want a spark to jump from the breechblock into the powder storage in the buttstock.
View Quote

That's quite the understatement! It tends to turn your gun into a bomb. Next to your head.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

That's quite the understatement! It tends to turn your gun into a bomb. Next to your head.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:
Originally Posted By Riter:
You don't want a spark to jump from the breechblock into the powder storage in the buttstock.

Brave men don't worry about that.

<------ Not a brave man.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top