Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2023 2:08:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BPR]
Imbel PAC marked receiver

21" lightweight barrel, Belgian combo muzzle device, bolt, carrier and lower serial numbers match.  Buttstock and handguards appear to be US commercial manufacture.  (likely for 922 compliance)  No mags.  Finish is good.  The take-down lever is the horizontal type.

What's it worth?  (I know, pics would be helpful, but I don't have them)  My one and only FAL is a DSA rifle I got almost 20 years ago- so I've been out of the FAL game a while.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Imbel parts kits are $800 and up

Imbel receivers $600 and up

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Unknown origin, and "Do it work"? come immediately to mind.

I have bought and built off of Imbel gear logo recievers, but I would hate to unfk a FNFAL on headspace.

Figure on $400 minimum to turn one around if it's outside your skill set.

A DSA FAL Classic is 1800 at Atlantic for reference and it has a warranty. I found a lightweight tactical on GB for 2K.

I would think 800-1200 if it looks nice and nothing is loose.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 5:20:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I’d happily pay $1200 for a parts gun FAL built on an Imbel receiver as you described as long as there wasn’t any obvious signs of butchery and the front sight were straight.
$1400 wouldn’t be out of the question but beyond that point ($1500+) you’re getting into entry level DS Arms rifles that come with a warranty which is important if you aren’t inclined to fix whatever issues might be present on an unknown used gun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]
The type of kit used can also impact the value.  I would need more details before making an offer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 6:28:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help, everyone.  They're asking $1,250, which seems too close to market value to interest me.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah that seems high for an unknown builder FAL, on the other hand the parts and receiver are likely valuable enough that going in and haggling some might be worth it.  

My concerns would be how they timed the barrel- lathe, shaved, filed, or shims, and how the headspace is.  

However, headspace on an FAL is easy as hell to change (within limits). New locking shoulder can be enough.  I unfucked a batch of Century assembled STG’s by swapping around the (non-matching) bolts/carriers, and ended up only having to change out one LS in the end.  

So if the barrel doesn’t look like it was totally fubar’d, it is probably a fixable situation if it isn’t within good headspace range already.  

Stuff like under/over timing for the sights and gas tube can be a bit of an issue as well, but the design is pretty forgiving of amateur tinkerers overall.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BPR:
Thanks for the help, everyone.  They're asking $1,250, which seems too close to market value to interest me.

View Quote

Offer them a grand and see if they bite.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 1:06:31 AM EDT
[#8]
One thing about kit builds is that the builder has to make sure the extractor has enough clearance to work. If not, it will need to be disassembled. Then there is a problem if it over clocks on the receiver when reinstalling the barrel. I’d try running some dummy rounds through it to make sure you don’t feel or see stoppages.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By nvcdl:

View Quote

😳😳😳😳
Link Posted: Today 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By johosjokers:

😳😳😳😳
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By johosjokers:
Originally Posted By nvcdl:

😳😳😳😳

I know, right?
Link Posted: Today 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Make the shop agree to let you return it in case it doesn't run or can't be zeroed.

Probably be great but you never know.

Need pics
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top