Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/10/2008 7:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imtheflash] [#1]
I use the Hornady hand tool with the bit chucked in my drill press, works awesome, plus I can use the drill press for so many other things.

Link Posted: 12/10/2008 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By markm:

Originally Posted By Fbuckshot:

I chuck up my Hornady reamer in my drill and have at it.

AMEN! I sold my Dillon Super Swager in favor of the Hornady. Way cheaper, and way better.

Even if you like the Dillon... the Hornady tool is a must have for any .223 reloader.

Do you haVE A LINK to this or a picture? I need to buy one and I want to make sure I get the right one the first time. Also, where can I get one without paying more for shipping thean the part?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/10/2008 8:21:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AssaultRifler] [#3]

ETA: you can buy just the reamer bit and put it in a drill press http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=422

Link Posted: 12/10/2008 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Dillon Super Swage
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, I did not see anyone mentioning the Lee Chamfer tool that can also be used for removing crimps.

What are your experience with that?
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Fbuckshot:
I chuck up my Hornady reamer in my drill and have at it.

Same here.  I sold the Super Swager.  I didn't like having to recalibrate it for different kinds of brass.

The Hornady is simple and cheap.
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 8:56:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ma96782] [#7]
Originally Posted By otakki:
Hey, I did not see anyone mentioning the Lee Chamfer tool that can also be used for removing crimps.

What are your experience with that?

If you mean this LEE 90109.

http://www.grafs.com/product/190235

You may want to refer to the picture on the first page and another pic on the 2nd page (at the bottom).

That style of tool works for some folks and NOT for others.

NOT........for ME.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 1/6/2009 10:30:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#8]
Originally Posted By PDshooter:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/PDshooter/reloading/06002.jpg

3 sec and a drill press...........= Done

RCBS debering tool

Sir, you have removed too much metal.

This is a pic of how not to remove a crimp.
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 11:37:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FishTheRockRiver] [#9]
Dillon Swager.  I've tried reamers (RCBS and Lyman), dislike that they remove metal in theory, and don't believe that they are as consistent and line up as true.

Adjustment and bent rods have been a complete non-issue for me with the Dillon swager.  As much as I respect Mark for backing the opinion of his friend, I have to discount any comparison on the precision of a reamer to the swager as being closed minded.  Consider that the alignment of the reamer in the pocket is done with a free hand at best (such as using the RCBS reamer on my Trim-Mate) or, both the brass case and reamer held in each hand with a hand reamer.  Also consider the subjective nature of what the user's trigger is to consider when a case is properly reamed when using a hand reamer (or even a powered one).

Measurements would tell the story.  Perhaps to include depth, width, SD on width, trueness to the spec for the primer pocket dimension, trueness to the center line, and smoothness of the primer pocket walls.  Even my opinion is anecdotal. But how could a reamer possibly compare in terms of precision with a swager?

Sure, both (done correctly) will give you the ability to remove the crimp for a subsequent reload, and this isn't usually a critical factor in terms of building a precise handload, but it is hard to argue against a swager for speed, ease of use, and the precision of the operation.  Given the attention often placed on the tightness of the primer pocket as a sign of the future life of a brass case, consistency has value.

I'm against removing the brass, primarily in theory.  You don't remove a lot when reaming out a crimp, but it still hurts your efforts at consistency.  If you're using the brass for a competition load, and intend to weigh and sort cases, won't this skew your results?  Unlike trimming cases, where you have a case length target down to the 1000ths of an inch, how much material is removed decrimping is subjective.

Dunno if this made my point, but it is up to the individual to decide for themselves based on cost, time, and their goals.
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 2:53:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ma96782] [#10]
Good points about weights of cases and removing metal.  I've struggled with that idea myself (trim and/or ream and the weight changes).

Short range ammo......who really cares?

OK......someone might.

ME......I don't.

But, I suspect that most people will only weigh cases for their long range ammo.  Not mentioning spinning bullets, spinning cases and neck turning etc.........

THEN, as for the hand reamer and centerline.

Well, with the reamer that I use.........the reamer's spud enters the primer pocket and the cutting that is actually done is very limited.  The manufacturer of the brass put the major pocket there, during the manufacturing process.  The reamer spud will follow that major pocket and cut/chamfer the crimp area.  If, the major pocket needs to be enlarged........the reamer will do so.  But, it's usually very little.  Some may even say it's only burnishing the pocket.  And because the bottom of the pocket (depth) isn't cut by the tool (it's in the design).......the reamer is self limiting, when it contacts the bottom of the pocket.

So......in theory, the burnishing/cutting of the major pocket diameter (if, the pocket had been made too small to begin with) along with the chamfer/cutting off of the crimp.......adds/aides with consistency during primer seating.

Anyway, I doubt that a swager will re-center an off center case.  Plus, there is some play to the system.   And, there is nothing wrong with that.

So, again........it's up to YOU, what method YOU choose to use.

Aloha, Mark

PS.........that part about the Dillon and flash hole "obstruction" and/or "significance of the degree of obstruction" is more for the accuracy minded shooters.

As you put it (and I believe it)..........

"Consistency has value."
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
I have always just put a little chamfer at the primer pocket opening with the same tool that I use to deburr after trimming, just a twist or two, is there some problem that I am not having that others are? I have never had a problem with priming crimped cases using this method in my RockChucker or LNL AP.

Chamfer like so....
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/glock2027/chamfer.jpg

I do the same.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a Cabela's plastic ammo case full of LC and Prvi brass so I just bought a Dillon.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:

Different brass will have slightly different thickness of web.  You compensate for this by not taking a full stroke with the swager on the thicker ones.  A little practice makes it easy to discern the difference.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
Originally Posted By Scalce:
I have a borrowed Dillon Swage and I still have issues with brass giving inconsistent pressure when pushing the handle down.

Some people said you have to adjust it for the specific brass but I have only done LC and I am not separating them by year to swage them.

The first one or two reloading was still hard on a handful of cases.

Different brass will have slightly different thickness of web.  You compensate for this by not taking a full stroke with the swager on the thicker ones.  A little practice makes it easy to discern the difference.  

That is what I do as well and why I am hesitant to use the new swaging feature on my new S1050 as a 3/4 stroke isn't an option and I don't want to sort all of my brass.

Nothing beats the SS600 when you get the rythm down.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't forget something to catch the brass shavings on your lap.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the lyman case prep center with reamers. Also have the RCBS swager. The swager is faster for me. The case prep center tool is really nice to have.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ARFootSoldier:

I de-crimped 3000 LC brass a few months ago.  I can't imagine doing it w/o the Super Swage.  It's worth it!  It's fast, precise, and you won't over-swage the primer pocket.

+1
Just did 1k this afternoon. Can't beat it...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARFootSoldier:
Originally Posted By dsmegst:
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Dillon super swage for any amount over 5 cases.

Spendy, but it will pay for itself (in time and effort) in the first 1k.

I de-crimped 3000 LC brass a few months ago.  I can't imagine doing it w/o the Super Swage.  It's worth it!  It's fast, precise, and you won't over-swage the primer pocket.

+1
Just did 1k this afternoon. Can't beat it...

Really now I beg to differ , watching the 1050  with auto drive works a tad better for me
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:54:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#18]
Don't fool with the Hornady or any of the swagers in my opinion.

Just buy the $20 RCBS crimp reamer and Chuck it in a drill. I've used about every method you can, and have owned almost all of them, and this is the fastest and most consistent method I can find.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0063IDE6A

It is much faster than any swager and not headstamp dependent, and has a "stop" unlike the Hornady to keep you from cutting too much or too crooked. I realize the Hornady has a stop on the inside of the primer pocket, but that typically chews up the PP and can also result in crooked cutting if you're not holding it right.

I don't think it's physically possible to perform a trim faster than with this with the exception of a progressive press setup with an auto case feeder. Literally 1 second in a drill and it's exactly the same every single time... I bought a coupling nut to thread on it to protect the threads when it's in my drill.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:34:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:
Don't fool with the Hornady or any of the swagers in my opinion.

Just buy the $20 RCBS crimp reamer and Chuck it in a drill. I've used about every method you can, and have owned almost all of them, and this is the fastest and most consistent method I can find.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0063IDE6A

It is much faster than any swager and not headstamp dependent, and has a "stop" unlike the Hornady to keep you from cutting too much or too crooked. I realize the Hornady has a stop on the inside of the primer pocket, but that typically chews up the PP and can also result in crooked cutting if you're not holding it right.

I don't think it's physically possible to perform a trim faster than with this with the exception of a progressive press setup with an auto case feeder. Literally 1 second in a drill and it's exactly the same every single time... I bought a coupling nut to thread on it to protect the threads when it's in my drill.
View Quote

Im gonna buy the bit you recommend sir...To go with my swager and other reamers. If its as good as you say I will have every method available. I can swage faster than the reamer that came with my lyman case prep center. But I see the theory behind this piece. I will be ordering large and small. So its all your fault if I dont like them!
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Listen to Dryflash the reamer is the only way to go.  The amount of hand motion to ream is 1/3 less than

swaging with the Dillon.  Consider the pricing also.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:41:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bronco_Buster] [#22]
I've given up on all the reamers being sold on the market by reloading companies. If I had to pick a perfect method it would be a Dillon 1050, second place a Dillon Super Swage. Since I didn't want to spend $100, I bought this little kit from Harbor Freight. Yes, their stuff is crap, no arguments here...but the small countersink, chuck it into a cheap cordless drill, and it will just nick off enough primer crimp to keep primers really tight, and it doesn't leave any chatter marks. The largest one has now been deemed my .30 neck deburr tool of choice. They leave a perfect finish that lacks any discernible tool marks.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:44:25 AM EDT
[#24]

I'm sorry but those are unsatisfactory crimp removal tools.

http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Cases/P7310493.jpg.html" target="_blank">[url=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Cases/P7310493.jpg]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Cases/P7310493.jpg

Your cases will look like the ones on the left, over reamed and weakened. The far right cases were properly reamed with a Hornady reamer. A $12 tool with a positive stop.
View Quote

I respectfully disagree. Sure, if you're some kind of ham-fisted bafoon who augers out the pocket with a hammer drill, one could easily make their cases look like yours on the left. Those zero flute deburring tools are designed specifically to circumvent tool chatter that fluted deburring tools impart on the work. Examples:

This Federal case was reamed, by hand, with a Hornady tool until it hit its "positive stop." Chatter marks are obvious. Primers seat with mild resistance. Pockets loosen up, depending on headstamp, in as little as the first firing (small FC) or after as little as 2-3 firings (Lake City).

This Lake City case was reamed with a power dril at full speed for almost 2 seconds. Primers seat with the pressure of brand new Lapua brass. Case life, with annealing, is 10+ reloads for Lake City, I'm on a current batch of that old small FC brass that is on its 6th firing and is just now beginning to feel like the pockets reamed by the Hornady tool.

I'm pretty sure the title of this thread was: "Your favorite way to remove primer crimp?"...So if you don't like my way, don't use it. Don't imply that its less "satisfactory" because its not a tool thats made by a reloading company, or you haven't tried it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:01:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bronco_Buster] [#26]

Do you think I should contact Hornady and tell them I got bad reamers? My pocket reamers, both large and small can absolutely destroy my primer pockets, with only hand pressure. The way they fluted the reamers to touch the brass in the wall of the pocket allows that material to be altered. By hand, I can enlarge a primer pocket to the point where a primer drops in and out with no resistance. They are so aggressive, I would never power them mechanically.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Dillon 1050 is my favorite way to remove primer crimp.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:45:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: angus6] [#28]
Originally Posted By wtturn:
Dillon 1050 is my favorite way to remove primer crimp.
View Quote

Mine too next would be the Hornady reamer that I have on a 1/4 hp motor then the SS600, the RCBS press unit I got rid of as it Sucked
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 8:01:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#30]
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Wow that looks nasty. Way too much metal removed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Dillon Super Swage. Wish I had purchased one a long time before I actually plunked down the money for one.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top