Link Posted: 7/3/2023 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DocGP:
Raptor,
How did she group?  Real looker there.

Doc
View Quote
First shot was dead center and 2 inches low.  Windage was dead on "from the factory".  I shot a couple groups at 25 yards and they were not very good but I haven't done any load development at all.  I was shooting .530 ball with .020 patch and 70 grains of FF.  I mostly wanted to learn how to shoot it since I have never fired a muzzle loader before.  Next time I'm going to test out some different patch/ball/powder combinations at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Man I wish you were closer to Texas.  Would make a combo trip!!!

Good luck and keep us updated.

Doc
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
OK finally, finally got back into the shop, but have changed my mind on the direction of this rifle.  I am just going bone stock as this will be using this to chase deer in the mountains.  I will dull all the metal surfaces, but still try to finish it to a level which will show off the inherent beauty of the wood and brass.  Plus, the next project will be a carved woods runner kit.

SO, to that point, I applied a yellow dye as a first coat and two coats of Aquafortis with heat and this is what I ended up with;

The colors look different depending on the angle, but they really do match up well.  Now on to the brass.  I treated it with Jim's brass black solution and rubbed back.

Now hopefully I can get about 4-6 coats of permalyn sealer on the rifle and some more pics!!

Doc
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Started rust browning the pieces and some assembly.  A few pics along the way.

I applied 6 coats of the Laurel mountain degreaser/browning solution to the barrel and carded it back with old denim.  The external lock parts have had 3 coats.  The sideplate looks good but the frizzen and such need a few more coats.

More to come in a few days.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, finally got her together.  I don't have any good outdoor pictures, but will finish the thread with a few today when I get them.  BUT, here are a few from the shop last night.

Forgive the extended wiping stick.  My fingers are getting a bit arthritic and it really helps me get a grip on it.

I think it is perfect for it's intended use.  It will hit the woods with me this fall chasing white tail, and hopefully, mule deer in NM.  We'll see.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks really good.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:34:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Looking good. My Walnut .54 is assembled and ready for finishing, but I'm in carving practice mode now.  I plan to do some relief carving this time around.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 1:22:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Beautiful, sir.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#10]
A few more glamour shots.

forgive my crappy photography.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 7:34:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#11]
Real purty, Doc!

Interesting to hear how much you guys had to tweak your sights. With 70 gr 2f goex and a .530 ball, to zero at 50 yds I would'nt have had much front sight left with that little rear! I put on a taller rear from TOW.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]
You've inspired me to finish my Colonial.  I still need to finish the finish.  I can't get the bone black to look the way I want.  The following coat of T&T oil rubs most of it off.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mechanicuss:
Real purty, Doc!

Interesting to hear how much you guys had to tweak your sights. With 70 gr 2f goex and a .530 ball, to zero at 50 yds I would'nt have had much front sight left with that little rear! I put on a taller rear from TOW.
View Quote

I had to take quite a bit of front sight off on my Colonial to zero at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Gonna spend some time on this thread. Mine’ll be here Friday
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top