Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 3/8/2024 6:48:41 PM EDT
What would be a fair price for this setup?  Thinking about buying.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you trying to sharpen?
If knives, looks way to complicated.  I just sharpened three this afternoon with a stone and steel.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:52:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
What are you trying to sharpen?
If knives, looks way to complicated.  I just sharpened three this afternoon with a stone and steel.
View Quote

No one cares what you did.  Its in the title on what the man is looking at.

Wicked Edge has packages that you can look up on Amazon or their website.  If you are looking to buy that specific used set (as opposed to buying a new version of that set), I’d offer 50-75% of what it retails for new.  You’ll be saving the obvious % off but also sales tax.

If I was going to list my Wicked Edge system here on the EE, I’d list it for 50% off but NOT including shipping.  The shipping charge would be quite high since it’s heavy.

So, 50-75% new price.  I do not know what they are selling for new.

Edit.  Is that a stone weighted base?  I believe those are much more expensive.  I did not spring for that because of the price, years ago.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:59:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecurityServant] [#3]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

No one cares what you did.  Its in the title on what the man is looking at.

Wicked Edge has packages that you can look up on Amazon or their website.  If you are looking to buy that specific used set (as opposed to buying a new version of that set), I’d offer 50-75% of what it retails for new.  You’ll be saving the obvious % off but also sales tax.

If I was going to list my Wicked Edge system here on the EE, I’d list it for 50% off but NOT including shipping.  The shipping charge would be quite high since it’s heavy.

So, 50-75% new price.  I do not know what they are selling for new.

Edit.  Is that a stone weighted base?  I believe those are much more expensive.  I did not spring for that because of the price, years ago.
View Quote

Thanks!  I bought it for $115 tonight.  The base is granite and is very heavy.  I already have a lansky, but this one seems like a better sharpening system.  I may sell the lansky to recoup some $$$.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#4]
If you paid $115 you got the kind of deal that we all dream of getting.

My set up isn’t anywhere near that nice, and I paid more for it than you did.

I deem this a humble brag thread. Great snag.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tightlines49:

View Quote

Yes...$115 is what I paid.  I'm looking forward to try it out!
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SecurityServant:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecurityServant:
Originally Posted By tightlines49:

Yea, you stole that lol. The stones are worth four times what you paid. Nice grab.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The wicked edge system is very nice and will produce excellent results.  You can expand the stone selection in your kit and get mirror like edges, although I have found that 600-1000 grit finishes give a nice toothy edge that works very well.  If you are new to sharpening the 2 best tips I can give are to use a sharpie marker to mark the edge of the blade so you can see where you are removing steel and do not progress to the next grit until you can shave hair. My lowest grit is a 50 grit diamond and it will get blades sharp enough to shave. And as others said you got a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:44:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lukus] [#8]
Wow, that is a heck of a deal.  I have a Wicked Edge sharpener and they are awesome.  When I finish a new knife, I'll use a 180 belt on a belt grinder to cut most of the new edge, then I'll refine and finish it with the WE.  And yes, I can sharpen on a conventional stone, but the WE will get it perfect and without the chance of scratching a nice finish.

ETA:  WE customer service is great.  I would probably add a set of 1500-2000 diamond stone.  And I would get a set of longer rods, they'll let you sharpen longer blades easier.  Make sure you get the correct rods for your set, they aren't all interchangable.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 0331_usmc:
The wicked edge system is very nice and will produce excellent results.  You can expand the stone selection in your kit and get mirror like edges, although I have found that 600-1000 grit finishes give a nice toothy edge that works very well.  If you are new to sharpening the 2 best tips I can give are to use a sharpie marker to mark the edge of the blade so you can see where you are removing steel and do not progress to the next grit until you can shave hair. My lowest grit is a 50 grit diamond and it will get blades sharp enough to shave. And as others said you got a hell of a deal.
View Quote

Appreciate the tips on sharpening!
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#11]
That's an absolute steal. I already own the WE and I would have bought that just for the stones. Where did you find it for that price?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, at that price, you stole it! Good job…
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice score, OP.   Project Farm just did a video on sharpeners and the Wicked Edge kit did real well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Toker_:
That's an absolute steal. I already own the WE and I would have bought that just for the stones. Where did you find it for that price?
View Quote

It was at a local estate sale.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the kind words.  I figured it was a good deal.  I'm looking forward to trying it out this weekend!
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Just some pointers.

1. Start with a few beater blades. Use a sharpie and mark the edge. Lightly scrub the blade to see if you have the correct clamping position and height. If you don't position the blade correctly, you'll get an uneven bevel. It may take a few dozen blades to break in your stones.
2. Buy a digital angle cube. The angles on the WE are relative. When you clamp the blade, you may need to use a different left and right angle depending on the width and height of the blade.
3. I use a Google spreadsheet to record the height, horizontal position and left/right angles used for each knife. It will save you a lot of time in subsequent sharpenings.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:55:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lukus] [#17]
Just some pointers.

1. Start with a few beater blades. Use a sharpie and mark the edge. Lightly scrub the blade to see if you have the correct clamping position and height. If you don't position the blade correctly, you'll get an uneven bevel. It may take a few dozen blades to break in your stones.
2. Buy a digital angle cube. The angles on the WE are relative. When you clamp the blade, you may need to use a different left and right angle depending on the width and height of the blade.
3. I use a Google spreadsheet to record the height, horizontal position and left/right angles used for each knife. It will save you a lot of time in subsequent sharpenings.
View Quote

Maybe I'm misinterpreting #2, but I would not use different angles on each side.  Probably not something you will normally notice, but it will bias your cut, make long cuts want to curve.  Like a chisel grind knife, but on a very small scale.  Use the same angle on each side, if the sharpened edge is uneven, you can work one side more to bring them even.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:00:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Toker_] [#18]
Originally Posted By lukus:
Maybe I'm misinterpreting #2, but I would not use different angles on each side.  Probably not something you will normally notice, but it will bias your cut, make long cuts want to curve.  Like a chisel grind knife, but on a very small scale.  Use the same angle on each side, if the sharpened edge is uneven, you can work one side more to bring them even.
View Quote

Just to expand on #2. The angles on the sharpener are relative and highly dependant on the height and thickness of the blade. The angles on the Wicked Edge are based on a theoretical knife that's no wider than 0.125" and 5/8" above the top of the clamp.

For example, let's say you are sharpening a kitchen knife. You use the lower key depth to mount the knife. If you set the angle to 18° on the left and right side, it may not actually be that angle. It may read 16° on the left and 15° on the right using a digital angle to verify the angle. So you would actually have to set the left angle to 18° and the right angle to 19° to get an actual 16° bevel on both sides of the kitchen knife.

Here's what I recorded for two of my kitchen knives so I can resharpen them easily.
Knife: Height - Left - Right - Actual
Gyuto: Low --- 18° --- 19° --- 16°
Nakiri: Low --- 20° --- 21° --- 16°

Some more reading.
https://support.wickededgeusa.com/portal/en/kb/articles/setting-the-angle#Using_the_Digital_Angle_Gauge
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:18:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I will double what you paid for the stones. You stole that sharpener.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#20]
If I sell you the stones, how am I going to use the sharpener?  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Just to expand on #2. The angles on the sharpener are relative and highly dependant on the height and thickness of the blade. The angles on the Wicked Edge are based on a theoretical knife that's no wider than 0.125" and 5/8" above the top of the clamp.

For example, let's say you are sharpening a kitchen knife. You use the lower key depth to mount the knife. If you set the angle to 18° on the left and right side, it may not actually be that angle. It may read 16° on the left and 15° on the right using a digital angle to verify the angle. So you would actually have to set the left angle to 18° and the right angle to 19° to get an actual 16° bevel on both sides of the kitchen knife.

Here's what I recorded for two of my kitchen knives so I can resharpen them easily.
Knife: Height - Left - Right - Actual
Gyuto: Low --- 18° --- 19° --- 16°
Nakiri: Low --- 20° --- 21° --- 16°

Some more reading.
https://support.wickededgeusa.com/portal/en/kb/articles/setting-the-angle#Using_the_Digital_Angle_Gauge
View Quote

Thanks for the tips!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#22]
You got a deal OP.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top