Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2024 12:08:01 PM EDT
I bought my first MAC last month and the form 3 was approved last week.  It should be coming in today so I can get my first real look at it.

In the mean time, I know it is a little ruff, but it's not a collectors piece I bought it to shoot the daylights out of it.

Who can repark the gun for a fresh finish?  There are scratches, dings, and maybe a bit of surface rust on it im aware of based on the pics I had when purchased.  It's not a beauty queen by any means.  Short of just spray painting it with grill paint, what options do I have?

Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PAESAN:
Sam at Practical Solutions
View Quote

This is who I would recommend too. I hear nothing but good about Sam's work and prices.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

This is who I would recommend too. I hear nothing but good about Sam's work and prices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
Originally Posted By PAESAN:
Sam at Practical Solutions

I very much agree.

Scott
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup Sam @ Practical.

Have him go over the whole gun and add the reinforcemnt tabs while it's there.

He did mine 14 years ago and it still runs & looks better then new.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ggllggll:
Short of just spray painting it with grill paint, what options do I have?

View Quote

I had two of mine cerakoted to match the Lage uppers.  I prefer that look over the mismatched finish (stood out to me as an old lower with a new upper).
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks I'm in touch with him.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Just about anyone who has the correct licensing, and the finish you want can do it.

I had mine cerakoted black and it turned out great.  I didn’t feel the need to send it off anywhere, got it done locally.  Once it’s stripped, it’s a very simple metal piece.  After that, I populated it with Lage parts, so I needed to strip it bare anyways.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#8]
If there isn't a mechanical issue, I would hold off on the refinish. Especially with a new toy, you'll tend to use it more. It is my understanding that the receiver is eaten away a little bit every time it is reparkerized. The engraving becomes more rounded. I get that we are talking about a very small amount. But we are the stuarts of these firearms. I would imagine 100 years from now our guns will still be around, but we won't.

Certainly, your gun, do with it what you want. And doing the refinish while waiting for the transfer to you doesn't eat into your shooting time once transferred to you. But to get a new scratch on your first range trip after transfer would not be good. Wait, get used to it. If a mechanical problem comes up, you could always refinish it then. Congratulations.

Scott
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Depending on the way the finish is worn, I might actually prefer the look over a freshly parked finish. As long as it's not really rusty, and has an even-looking patina, I think it adds rugged character.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Len @ Historic Arms did mine years ago and did a nice job.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:48:19 AM EDT
[#11]
My M10 was a beater, no reinforcements. Front pin holes egged out, cracked rear plate, bulged barrel.

Sam at Practical Solutions fixed it up and added welded reinforcements and replaced the barrel. Remarked it.

He did a great job. I’d do it again.

Whatever he did to redo the parkerizing doesn’t look like the lettering has changed that I can see.

This isn’t a Colt 1921 so I think a used M10 will be better off redone.

He added a front vertical grip…

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Alumahyde 2 Dark Gray Parkerizing is a heavy duty paint, I used it on my Lage upper which was black and and it matched my Powder Springs MAC-10 Parkereized lower pretty decently.

On a high value firearm, a proper prakerizing is probably worth it.  It will require blasting with fine glass bead media and immersion in the acidic parkerizing solution so it does eat at the meta a tiny but but also serves to protect it with a finish that holds oil etc. and will probably look new.  I'd do both upper and lower parts and any accessories you may want to match color wise.  While it is apart have any springs, etc. checked replaced.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#13]
That looks awesome
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HeavyArtillery:

I had two of mine cerakoted to match the Lage uppers.  I prefer that look over the mismatched finish (stood out to me as an old lower with a new upper).
View All Quotes

I got mine done in black nitride.  Bonus is cleans up soooo easy!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:22:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAESAN] [#15]
Originally Posted By Heineken:

View All Quotes

Which specific black Cerakote?

And who does M11 black nitriding?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

You had the lower receiver and other parts nitrided?  The nitride treatment is a chemical bath for steels - Does it work on Aluminum? - like the Lage uppers?

It would help with general wear and tear as it offers surface hardness.

Interesting.

I still like a parked gray look on a MAC - just personal preference but nitride does make sense from wear and tear.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:

You had the lower receiver and other parts nitrided?  The nitride treatment is a chemical bath for steels - Does it work on Aluminum? - like the Lage uppers?

It would help with general wear and tear as it offers surface hardness.

Interesting.

I still like a parked gray look on a MAC - just personal preference but nitride does make sense from wear and tear.
View Quote

The Nitride process brings some of the carbon in the steel to surface. This increased carbon causes surface hardening. Typically, there is no carbon in aluminum alloy. So the Nitride treatment would not change the aluminum alloy surface. Hard coat anodizing makes a hard surface on the surface of aluminum. Sam does have a darker parkerization possible which is a closer match to the black hard coat finish that Lage Manufacturing uses.

Some of the reanodizing shops do offer a "Colt gray" which could be more of a match to the original MAC, RPB, SWD gray parkerization. The gray color might be harder to match in the two different materials.

Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top