Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2024 11:29:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Amish_Bill]
(edit - this has been identified as Keymo - there is a second question further down)

I pulled this off a Grendel so I could put on something useful (to me).

A little searching makes me think it's a Dead Air Keymo, but it's unmarked and I'd like to be sure before I sell it as one.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:35:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#1]
Yes, dead air flash hider
My grendels are 9/16x24
What pitch was marked on the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:51:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
My grendels are 9/16x24
View Quote

My Grendels are 5/8x24, which is pretty typical.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:36:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
My grendels are 9/16x24

Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
My Grendels are 5/8x24, which is pretty typical.
View Quote

9/16x24 strikes me as a bit unusual - like the 1/2x36 some places put on 9mm.
What make/model are yours?

This one is standard 5/8x24 - not positive about the make - I see Match Series, 1-8 5r 416 MPI through the rail.
- - already have a Griffin .30 mount installed in anticipation of springing my DL7 from AFT Jail later this week.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Alexander Arms and Sabre Defense both made excellent lightweight Grendel barrels with 9/16-24 RH threaded muzzles.  

For those that have those barrels Precision Armaments (known for accushims, and very nice brakes) makes an excellent thread adapter up to 5/8-24.  Very controlled machining as to inner & outer thread starts.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait’ll you guys mess with 9mm 5/8x24 barrels.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:28:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Amish_Bill] [#6]
Wait'll you guys mess with 9mm 5/8x24 barrels.
View Quote
At least I'll have something that will thread on. It might not pass a bullet without some quality WECSOG time on a drillpress, but if nothing else, the threadings will be good. :-)

I've still got a 1/2x36 linear comp I can't do anything with because, well, /12x36, and I doubt the can will be coming off that upper.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:01:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#7]
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:
At least I'll have something that will thread on. It might not pass a bullet without some quality WECSOG time on a drillpress, but if nothing else, the threadings will be good. :-)

I've still got a 1/2x36 linear comp I can't do anything with because, well, /12x36, and I doubt the can will be coming off that upper.
View Quote

I’ve modified a handful of Griffin Taper Mounts in both 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 by either chopping the front off or by reaming with a tapered reamer followed by piloted brake or chamber reamers. Getting perfect results is very tedious with a drill press, files, and calipers. As is making an A5 buffer weight from a bar of brass.

They make the 9mm Hammer Comp in 5/8x24 now.

Edit: come to think about it, my Grendel bolt gun has a chopped mount on it that I had laying around from practicing the above.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:26:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I was just verifying the size on this, and I'm a little unsure. While it does swallow the neck of a 300blk down to the bottleneck, it also looks like there's very little clearance for the bullet to pass the tines. Is that normal for this model of flash hider?  I don't want to sell it as a .30 if it's really for a 6.8 or 6.5.

not-edit- The manufacturer page only lists it by thread size, so I'm guessing it's going to be good for the bore most commonly used with that pitch.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, keymo
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
Yes, keymo
View Quote
Thoughts on the second question right above your post?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:05:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#11]
If it’s a 5/8x24 DA302 or DA305, then it’s made for 7.62.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:12:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#12]
It's odd that it doesn't have any markings.

Could it be a counterfeit?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
It's odd that it doesn't have any markings.

Could it be a counterfeit?
View Quote

They’ve changed the way they’ve marked them over time. I’ve got one here that is only marked with thread pitch on the wrench flat, but it’s the same flat showing in Amishbill’s first pic, based on the pin hole. I think I’ve seen unmarked ones also, but don’t remember for sure. I think the current practice is thread pitch on one flat and part number on the other.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:22:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#14]

I think the current practice is thread pitch on one flat and part number on the other.
View Quote
That's the way all my Xeno stuff is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top