Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2023 10:33:55 PM EDT
I've been thinking of filling the glaring hole (besides in my head) of no belt feed rifles in my inventory.

Most likely it'll be a M1919 - they seem to go for about half what a FN M249S goes for, and is just as impressive looking if not more.

Couple of questions:

What main things to look for?

Any manufactures / builders to either look for, or steer away from?

Are most of the semi's converted military full auto ones?

The ride side plate is the SN part correct, and that's what's often referenced as to what the history of the build is.

Is only a different barrel needed to go from 30/06 to .308?

What's a good price range for a good version - 2 for a bargain, 5 tops for a really nice one with all the accessories?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Couple of questions:

What main things to look for?
If it's a homebuild I would say walk away.  I have not heard anything bad about the factory-made weapons.  But if all you can find is a home built one then check the rivets both externally and internally.  Make sure the receiver box is square. Check for excessive wear on the trunnion feedway.  Check the internals for proper machineing.  The trigger frame ears like to snap off with improper machine work.  Check for damage to the backplate grooves

I no longer know the players in the game so a little more research would be good.  Check on M1919A4 forums

Are most of the semi's converted military full auto ones?
All of the live weapons are converted from mostly 1919s that Israel returned.  You will find people selling USGI kits for a premium but all that means is that it never went to Israel.  Not worth a premium IMHO.

The ride side plate is the SN part correct, and that's what's often referenced as to what the history of the build is.
Yes, the right side plate is the controlled part.  However it can be hard to tell who made it (semi-auto version) as many are made with replica markings.  When I bought my RSP I was able to choose the manufacturer.

Is only a different barrel needed to go from 30/06 to .308?
For 30.06 you need a barrel and booster.  7.62 is the same (barrel and booster).  However, a 30/06 bolt will not work with 7.62.  A 7.62 bolt WILL work with 30.06.  You can also get kits to run 8mm, 7.62x54r and 7.62x39.

What's a good price range for a good version - 2 for a bargain, 5 tops for a really nice one with all the accessories?
Last I saw a gun only was around $2500.  Tripods are still around for $300ish with T&E and pintle.  The most expensive accessory is a belt loader which cost as much as the gun nowadays.  Barrels are anywhere from $100-$300 depending on caliber.

Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree $2500 is long gone. Parts kits are almost that much anymore
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I think guns alone are going for about 4k, no tripod, no t&e.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Look for John Mcguire.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 5:39:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tommygun2000] [#6]
There are plenty of great looking and perfectly functional home built 1919 semis out there.

Don't be fooled into thinking they are complicated or difficult to build, they are probably one of the easiest builds around and having done several of them, years ago, (every one of them functioned perfectly from the first round), I got to where I could hammer one together in a few hours, having the internals already machined, less blasting and parkerizing and they look and function as well as anyone else's builds.

OP, if you're looking for a 1919 semi, try to find one locally and test fire it or have the seller send a video of it functioning.

Link Posted: 5/14/2023 5:43:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tommygun2000] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akethan:

Show me a $2500 1919 semi
View Quote

No kidding!

1919 semi autos passed the $2500 dollar mark years ago. Completed guns (home builds or otherwise) are running about 4K+- with no accessories.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:29:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I went to a gun show this past weekend and there were two 1919s for sale . 1 was 30-06 with a tripod and 200 rounds and a belt and a crank for $6,000 and he would take $5500. The other was a .308 with a tripod and some links for $5000 . The .308 I think sold.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top