Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/13/2023 7:50:52 PM EDT
Had a good discussion with a buddy at lunch about transferables. What do you guys think are the rarest ones? I’ve heard there is one m249 and maybe one PKM. Are there any Beretta Model 12’s? What about an Ultimax?
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]
FG42
Oerlikon
Stoner 63
Colt Monitor

come to mind
there are a few you can count on 1 hand

Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Beretta 93R is pretty rare
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GunDisaster:
View Quote

One came up for sale not too long ago. I believe they were asking $150,000
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotta figure theyd be the expensive and hard to obtain at any price ones.

Mk19 grenade machine gun has to be pretty rare: only a handful of pre-86 FFLs had the DD as well as the normal ability to make MGs and it's not like parts kits to remake were everywhere. I've seen the RAMO one that was transferable, and that's it.
MAG 58 / M240. Only a couple on FNs books.
M134 minigun. Hard to get parts from legit suppliers. Vulcan 20mm even moreso.
Ultimax.
Not sure about Amelli SAWs, they're post imports but maybe a few were few else's or otherwise "made" in the USA. This las one is a red herring because I kinda always wanted one.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Friend of mine has a Sig AMT.  I think less than 5 are out there.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:50:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DesignatedMarksman] [#6]
Last I heard, there are 4 transferable M240s in the US.

ETA: I think there are more MAG58s, but only 4 in m240 configuration.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I've read that there were twelve auto sears for the Beretta 93 made and registered before the ban.  IIRC, there were also a few auto sears made for the S & W Model 59 pistols.  Some 1911 pistols were converted to full auto and were popular with a few of the '20s and early '30s gangsters.
Depending on the source, there are 100, 101, or 110 of the stainless steel transferrable Group Industries M16 lowers.
The Venus 22-2 (double barrel) full auto pistols; the Trejo Models 1 and 2 full auto .22 pistols; the M134 "Puff the Magic Dragon" Gatling guns; and full auto AR-7 rifles are some other very scarce transferrable machine guns.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 9:16:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackmore] [#8]
Originally Posted By GunDisaster:
View Quote

Came to post this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 11:58:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#9]
I believe most of the transferable 93r are registered frames. Some aluminum, some Ti.

The possibility of a transferable Ultimax was discussed on Subguns some years ago. Dan Shea and others stated there are only presamples and post samples, no trannies.

I recall there being only one Vilar-Perosa on the registry.

There is only one transferable fn 249.

Factory FN 240s are very rare. A friend has one.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like Chester County still has one for sale.
https://chestercountyarmory.com/product/beretta-93r-9x19mm-nato-transferable-select-fire-machine-pistol/

Are there many Walther MPL's or MPK's that are transferable?
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
I believe most of the transferable 93r are registered frames. Some aluminum, some Ti.
View Quote
The late and great Tim Bixler did the Titanium 93Rs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
You don’t see too many AR-18s come up very often.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#13]
There are Beretta PM12, but only the early ones with the push button selector and brown grips.

Another rarity would be one of the factory select fire military hebrew marked military UZIs (not a semi auto conversion) and factory made (not converted Hk94) Mp5s.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#14]
What’s about any vz61’s?
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 7:57:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: psp6785] [#15]
I have a transferable Remington Model 8 in .35 REM.

Copy of the original paperwork when it was registered:
Attachment Attached File

The Form 5 when I bought it:

Attachment Attached File

Notice how quick it was approved for me. Whole  other story behind that……..
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mak0:

One came up for sale not too long ago. I believe they were asking $150,000
View Quote

I remember that. Someone started a thread on /k/ asking about the value of some guns he'd inherited, and one turned out to be a 93R. Of course, 4chan being what it is, nobody believed him until he posted a timestamp, but whaddaya know, it turned out to be legit. One of those rare moments that makes 4chan worth browsing.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd have to say the Glock 18 is in there. I know way less about how many were put in the register before 86.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 10:24:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SecondAmend] [#18]
FWIW, "Submachine Guns of the United States of America" by Frank Iannamico includes writeups of at least a dozen extremely low production submachine guns, as well as the high production American made submachine guns.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DoubleTaps:
I'd have to say the Glock 18 is in there. I know way less about how many were put in the register before 86.
View Quote

Exactly zero .......
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I think there is 1 Acthisson 12 (full auto 12 gauge) tool room gun that is in the registry
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Villafuego:

Exactly zero .......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DoubleTaps:

Exactly zero .......
There is at least one switch though.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By prebans:

I don't think the switch was invented until well after 1986..?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By prebans:
Originally Posted By November5:
There is at least one switch though.

I don't think the switch was invented until well after 1986..?
It was just registered as a switch, not Glock specific.  At some point it got rebuilt to fit a Glock.  There was a thread on it several years ago.  IIRC speculation was that it probably started as a S&W switch.  Or even possibly that it was just a Form 1 for years that eventually got built as a Glock switch.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 4:02:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#24]
Originally Posted By amphibian:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By amphibian:

Yes and I think there is a SAR interview where he said he had a pre-86 DS 93R that he stripped of parts, then would send the frame to beretta and they’d replace the frame. He did that a few times and Beretta stopped replacing the parts.

Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
You don’t see too many AR-18s come up very often.

I would not put those in the rare category. Less commonly seen than other transferables, but not rare.

Originally Posted By akchef:
There are Beretta PM12, but only the early ones with the push button selector and brown grips.

Another rarity would be one of the factory select fire military hebrew marked military UZIs (not a semi auto conversion) and factory made (not converted Hk94) Mp5s.

Whether there are actual pre-68 MP5s on the registry is a common point of discussion and contention.

I’ve emailed with Dan Shea about this. He said there are a group of MP5s in use by a LE agency somewhere that were imported in 67 and 68 that are transferable but to his knowledge none have ever been transferred out into the commercial market. He would not disclose what agency owned them.

Originally Posted By psp6785:
I have a transferable Remington Model 8 in .35 REM.

Copy of the original paperwork when it was registered:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86507/49932BAA-F131-4276-A130-28BD77FD0D48_jpe-2885881.JPG

The Form 5 when I bought it:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86507/6C5EE0B3-11AB-4FFC-9AFE-CB80440D80F9_jpe-2885882.JPG

Notice how quick it was approved for me. Whole  other story behind that……..

Now that’s a rarity. Really cool. Do you shoot it?
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 4:49:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Villafuego] [#25]
It was just registered as a switch, not Glock specific.  At some point it got rebuilt to fit a Glock.  There was a thread on it several years ago.  IIRC speculation was that it probably started as a S&W switch.  Or even possibly that it was just a Form 1 for years that eventually got built as a Glock switch.
View Quote

The S&W pistol conversions were registered sears ..... and there is no possible (or legal) way to reconstruct one into a Glock conversion device.

Even in 1986 you couldn't get a form 1 approved for a "generic" MG conversion device .....
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:13:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jbntex] [#26]

The possibility of a transferable Ultimax was discussed on Subguns some years ago. Dan Shea and others stated there are only presamples and post samples, no trannies.

I recall there being only one Vilar-Perosa on the registry.

There is only one transferable fn 249.

Factory FN 240s are very rare. A friend has one.
View Quote

One of my local shooting friends owned the one legitimate transferable M249 (SN# E00037) that was gotten out of FNMI by Dan Shea before it was destroyed in testing along with the rest.

He had the letter from the BATFE confirming its authenticity and transferability.   At one point he had it sent off to Desert Ordnance and completely rebuilt/refurbished with all new parts save the registered receiver box.  I shot it on a few occasion and it was a bit spooky shooting a gun worth probably close to if not in excess of $1M.  

He had a two of the FNMI made M240B as well (one was shot and the other was NIB) and one of the Bixler/Boatman aluminum framed 93R guns that was sent off and had completely refurbished.  

Unfortunately,  he sold the M249 and both M240s last year to another collector.

I have also seen a pre-sample FN Minimi that was "laundered" into a transferable as well as it was clearly an intact Belgian made gun that was transferred on a tax paid F4.  My guess is prior to 86 ban the FFL/SOT who owned the presample claimed it was "demilled" and then reregisted it on a F2 to wash away its pre-sample status.  I was told there were multiple pre-sample Minimi's from the same FFL that were "turned transferable" and sold off in the late 80s to early 90s.  Like the purported "remanufactured" transferable Glock switch, these guns live precariously in a very gray legal area and if their pedigree is ever discovered by the BATFE they are at risk of seizure.   Similar to what I was told was the fate of the transferable Predator M134a, that the owner sent to Garwood to be "repaired" and when Garwood was raided the BATFE found the 'old painless' in the process of repair, but part of the repair was actually a complete receiver replacement and they carted the formerly transferable minigun away.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#27]
26 replies and no "GLOCK 7"
This forum is falling apart.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By jbntex:

One of my local shooting friends owned the one legitimate transferable M249 (SN# E00037) that was gotten out of FNMI by Dan Shea before it was destroyed in testing along with the rest.

He had the letter from the BATFE confirming its authenticity and transferability.   At one point he had it sent off to Desert Ordnance and completely rebuilt/refurbished with all new parts save the registered receiver box.  I shot it on a few occasion and it was a bit spooky shooting a gun worth probably close to if not in excess of $1M.  

He had a two of the FNMI made M240B as well (one was shot and the other was NIB) and one of the Bixler/Boatman aluminum framed 93R guns that was sent off and had completely refurbished.  

I have also seen a pre-sample FN Minimi that was "laundered" into a transferable as well as it was clearly an intact Belgian made gun that was transferred on a tax paid F4.  My guess is prior to 86 ban the FFL/SOT who owned the presample claimed it was "demilled" and then reregisted it on a F2 to wash away its pre-sample status.  I was told there were multiple pre-sample Minimi's from the same FFL that were "turned transferable" and sold off in the late 80s to early 90s.  Like the purported "remanufactured" transferable Glock switch, these guns live precariously in a very gray legal area and if their pedigree is ever discovered by the BATFE they are at risk of seizure.   Similar to what I was told was the fate of the transferable Predator M134a, that the owner sent to Garwood to be "repaired" and when Garwood was raided the BATFE found the 'old painless' in the process of repair, but part of the repair was actually a complete receiver replacement and they carted the formerly transferable minigun away.
View Quote

I recall him mentioning that he was selling those. Too bad he sold all of them.

The predator minigun is sickening.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:30:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#29]
UD42
Austen
Fg42
Vilar-Perosa
Cadillac Gage 63A
Fiat-Revelli machinegun (a friend has the likely only transferable in the registry).
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:54:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: November5] [#30]
The S&W pistol conversions were registered sears ..... and there is no possible (or legal) way to reconstruct one into a Glock conversion device.

Even in 1986 you couldn't get a form 1 approved for a "generic" MG conversion device .....
View All Quotes

From what I recall the Form that was posted with the pics of the switch had a model name and caliber was listed as 9mm.  There was nothing in the paperwork tying it to a specific handgun model.  I'm trying to find the thread on it, but there's a ton of chaff to sort through.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By txgp17:
26 replies and no "GLOCK 7"
This forum is falling apart.
View Quote

It's not GD
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#32]
From what I recall the Form that was posted with the pics of the switch had a model name and caliber was listed as 9mm.  There was nothing in the paperwork tying it to a specific handgun model.  I'm trying to find the thread on it, but there's a ton of chaff to sort through.
View Quote

This sounds supiciously like the Broadhead Armory "BAM" series if registered triggers for the semi-auto open bolt MAC family.

Folks have been stuffing these triggers into all sort of non-MAC platforms over the years and claiming its legal.

There is even a BATFE letter where the writer essentially hood-winked the ATF asking if it could be installed into a semi auto host but cleverly left off the term MAC when asking the final question, so when the ATF responded it made it look like they were giving the blessing to install the trigger into a semi auto they could shoehorn the trigger into.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#33]

This sounds supiciously like the Broadhead Armory "BAM" series if registered triggers for the semi-auto open bolt MAC family.

Folks have been stuffing these triggers into all sort of non-MAC platforms over the years and claiming its legal.

There is even a BATFE letter where the writer essentially hood-winked the ATF asking if it could be installed into a semi auto host but cleverly left off the term MAC when asking the final question, so when the ATF responded it made it look like they were giving the blessing to install the trigger into a semi auto they could shoehorn the trigger into.
View Quote

A few years ago someone was selling a “transferable” SCAR17 with one of those triggers installed.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#34]

A few years ago someone was selling a “transferable” SCAR17 with one of those triggers installed.
View Quote

I have seen them in a MK46, the SCAR series, and an RPD over the years if I recall correctly.

It wouldn't surprise me one of those BAM triggers found its way into a Glock as it seems there are no shortage of dealers who are willing to put their customers at risk for financial gain.

Speaking of rare transferables.... I am kinda surprised that nobody has bought that Ruger MK electronic auto-trigger briefcase that MWT has for sale and tried to "convert" the serialized aluminum plate that holds the actuator and electronics into a "transferable" minigun or something.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#35]
There are more Stoner 63 and 63a guns than you think out there.Total number of transferable guns is in the 110-150 range and there are presamples.

There are 3 Swedish Kg m/37 guns that I have been able to track down. Mine being one of them.

FG-42 guns of various sub models are more common than you think as well. Granted its probably less than 50.

There are just a few Bofors 40mm cannon out there. They are registered as machine guns not as cannon in the NFA data base.

Picture of 1 of 3 known Kg m/37 in the US and the only known snow sled mount for it in the US.

BTW there are quiet a few one off registered MGs by inventors and then there are a few rare ones like Mexican Medosa LMG, ZB39, etc.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sgthatred:
There are more Stoner 63 and 63a guns than you think out there.Total number of transferable guns is in the 110-150 range and there are presamples.

There are 3 Swedish Kg m/37 guns that I have been able to track down. Mine being one of them.

FG-42 guns of various sub models are more common than you think as well. Granted its probably less than 50.

There are just a few Bofors 40mm cannon out there. They are registered as machine guns not as cannon in the NFA data base.

Picture of 1 of 3 known Kg m/37 in the US and the only known snow sled mount for it in the US.

http://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/Swedish-Kgm37-sled-left-open-with-BAR2.jpg

BTW there are quiet a few one off registered MGs by inventors and then there are a few rare ones like Mexican Medosa LMG, ZB39, etc.

View Quote

Your kg m/37 is absolutely one of my favorite MGs. It and the FN D are the pinnacle of the BAR design.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Damn that makes me sick about the Predator mini gun! I didn't know that happened. I was fortunate enough to see it for sale at Knob Creek in 1997. If I remember correctly I think it had a $125K or $175K price tag then.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 7:47:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 02NBMFormula] [#38]
Originally Posted By sgthatred:

View Quote

I’ve always thought that just due to the frequency of seeing them for sale.

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Spend enough time talking to certain collectors and you'll find some really rare stuff.

Recently a double gun, drum fed MG that came out of a downed Jap fighter.

How many xferrable dshk have you seen, I've seen one, plus the one that sold on GB.

As mentioned, there are a few 40mm bofors, and at least one, but probably a few 20mm M61 vulcans.

There is one xm214 microgun on the registry AFAIK.

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 6:20:35 AM EDT
[#40]
According to "Bubba" Naess, there are around 24 transferable RPDs in-country.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 7:30:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackmore] [#41]
Originally Posted By Silverbear_51:
View Quote

I shot one he owns at Eden several years ago.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
Spend enough time talking to certain collectors and you'll find some really rare stuff.

Recently a double gun, drum fed MG that came out of a downed Jap fighter.

How many xferrable dshk have you seen, I've seen one, plus the one that sold on GB.

As mentioned, there are a few 40mm bofors, and at least one, but probably a few 20mm M61 vulcans.

There is one xm214 microgun on the registry AFAIK.

View Quote

Do you remember what the dshk sold for?
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Silverbear_51:
View Quote

Well I know one guy that owns one and have met another. Didn't know they were that rare but Bob knows his stuff.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:32:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 02NBMFormula:

Do you remember what the dshk sold for?
View Quote

I do not, nor do I know the model. Just remembered that another one sold at an auction house more recently. It was the older model with rotary feed mechanism and featured on "forgotten weapons." So there may be at least 3. The gentleman I know also have a rare Hotchkiss HMG that you can't even get ammo for, though another guy converted one to 50bmg. He has a basement full of very rare transferables, many are so rare that you haven't heard of them and he would have a hard time finding parts and ammo for them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:34:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Villafuego] [#45]

I do not, nor do I know the model. Just remembered that another one sold at an auction house more recently. It was the older model with rotary feed mechanism and featured on "forgotten weapons." So there may be at least 3. The gentleman I know also have a rare Hotchkiss HMG that you can't even get ammo for, though another guy converted one to 50bmg. He has a basement full of very rare transferables, many are so rare that you haven't heard of them and he would have a hard time finding parts and ammo for them.
View Quote

Funny you mention that, and the "double barrel Japanese machine gun" in an earlier post.

I have a friend here in FL that owns a Jap Type 89 Dual setup ....... he has been searching for the magazines for it for over 30 years ...

Pretty sure the other Jap 2-barreled gun was the Type 100 .....
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Funny you mention that, and the "double barrel Japanese machine gun" in an earlier post.

I have a friend here in FL that owns a Jap Type 89 Dual setup ....... he has been searching for the magazines for it for over 30 years ...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/7.7mmType89DualMG.jpg

Pretty sure the other Jap 2-barreled gun was the Type 100 .....
View Quote

Very cool. It is indeed a type100. He only has one mag for it. It was a little bent up/damaged, possibly from the crash. He has quite a few other double MGs as well. There are a few floating around. It's just funny to me when people think a stoner63 is a rare MG, the really rare stuff doesn't come up for sale except every couple decades.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Very cool. It is indeed a type100. He only has one mag for it. It was a little bent up/damaged, possibly from the crash. He has quite a few other double MGs as well. There are a few floating around. It's just funny to me when people think a stoner63 is a rare MG, the really rare stuff doesn't come up for sale except every couple decades.
View Quote

I’d still put a Cadillac Gage 63A in the relatively rare camp. All things considered.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 9:28:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAESAN] [#48]
Are there any SITES Spectre M4s in the registry?
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By PAESAN:
Are there any SITES Spectre M4s in the registry?
View Quote

Transferable?

No

Dealer samples?

Possibly
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Does anyone have an estimate of transferable Colt M1895 'potato diggers' ?  I always thought one of those in 6mm Lee Navy would be a very cool piece of history.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top