Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2024 12:30:10 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Wife received these from her Grandmother the other day.  WWII Veteran Grandfather has long since passed.

I can't make out if there is anything stamped on the brass.
Coins and .45 ACP for size comparison.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:42:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#2]
Great resources here!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
8mm Nambu
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The primer looks a little recessed, might be a clue?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HellifIknow:
8mm Nambu
View Quote

That may be it, punch crimp seems to match.  Wife just found out the specifics, she knew her Grandfather was assigned machine gunner in the Army, details were he was 38th division 151st infantry in the Philippines.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#6]
that's the deadly 5.56 round that makes bones explode and organs shatter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HellifIknow:
8mm Nambu
View Quote
This,

Very close overall to the .30 Luger, but the shape of the base of the case after the rim is the indicator.  The Luger has more of a taper there.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:44:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green_Canoe] [#8]
Nambu is probably correct.  If you had a set of calipers you'd know in a second with an overall case length and bullet measurement.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Dig out the calipers, if bullet is 0.308" - its a 30 Luger.
If 0.320" - 8mm Nambu.

Also, 30 Luger is rimless, the Nambu is a semi-rimmed..

Seeing that grandpa was in the South Pacific, its most likely a 8mm Nambu.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mlg123:
Dig out the calipers, if bullet is 0.308" - its a 30 Luger.
If 0.320" - 8mm Nambu.

Also, 30 Luger is rimless, the Nambu is a semi-rimmed..

Seeing that grandpa was in the South Pacific, its most likely a 8mm Nambu.
View Quote

I dug out the calipers.  Bullet diameter, rim, case length and overall length matched the 8mm Nambu.  Thanks, everyone for the input!
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:48:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Entertaining, for me at least.  I asked my wife to check with her Grandma if she had a gun that went with the ammo, mentioned it might be in a leather pouch that didn't look like a gun.  Wife said that Grandma didn't have anything else that went with it.  Anyway, Memorial Day weekend coincides with Grandma's birthday, more or less maybe off by a week (she was born the same day/year as Clint Eastwood)... and my wife brings up the ammo, that is was matched to Nambu.

FIL happened to be there at the time.  Really, I would have checked with him on the topic; but, he is a bit old school.  He has a cell phone that he can use, only turns it on when he wants to call you.  Anyhow, he mentions to my wife that he has the/a gun from his dad.  He doesn't know what it is and maybe where he put it (not a gun guy).

Hopefully, FIL, finds the gun and I can get a look at it, take some pictures and post up.  What might the gun be?  8mm Nambu was used in a few different pistols, I have no idea what was the most common.
Top Top