Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2023 3:04:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R2point0]
Currently I have 2 safes - an in-floor gun safe that I bought for a previous house but is just sitting on my bedroom floor now, and an ancient safe that is about the right size but has no racking for guns and only one locking bolt.  I want to get another safe to consolidate my collection.  I want to put it into a room in the basement with a tiny door - 5' high by about 30" wide - so a conventional safe won't fit.  So I'm looking at modular safes by Zanotti Armor  and SnapSafe .

SnapSafe advantages:
  • Fire resistant
  • Free shipping
SnapSafe disadvantages:
  • Smaller long gun capacity
  • Digital lock
Zanotti advantages:
  • Mechanical lock
  • Can get a taller model, so more shelf space
  • Higher capacity
  • More interior options
Zanotti disadvantages:
  • Not fire rated (no insulation)
  • Shipping is extra (and not cheap)

Does anyone have any experience with these?  I'm looking to make a decision before the end of the month - both companies have sales on until the 30th.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:32:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: twoisone] [#1]
I love my Zanotti.  I have had the 5’ ZII for over ten years. I’ve moved it once across the basement without the door and I’m getting ready to disassemble and move it across town. It is still solid and tight like a monolithic safe.

In that time I’ve replaced the lock with an S&G (my fault, I spun the LeGard too hard at times causing the spline key to back out and rub the back of the lock) and added LED lights and a Rack’Em dual layer pistol rack.

Fire resistance doesn’t mean much after the fire department hoses it down and lets it sit in steamy conditions for a couple days until they let you into the site. IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 10:05:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jrf1983] [#2]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
Currently I have 2 safes - an in-floor gun safe that I bought for a previous house but is just sitting on my bedroom floor now, and an ancient safe that is about the right size but has no racking for guns and only one locking bolt.  I want to get another safe to consolidate my collection.  I want to put it into a room in the basement with a tiny door - 5' high by about 30" wide - so a conventional safe won't fit.  So I'm looking at modular safes by Zanotti Armor  and SnapSafe .

SnapSafe advantages:
  • Fire resistant
  • Free shipping
SnapSafe disadvantages:
  • Smaller long gun capacity
  • Digital lock
Zanotti advantages:
  • Mechanical lock
  • Can get a taller model, so more shelf space
  • Higher capacity
  • More interior options
Zanotti disadvantages:
  • Not fire rated (no insulation)
  • Shipping is extra (and not cheap)

Does anyone have any experience with these?  I'm looking to make a decision before the end of the month - both companies have sales on until the 30th.
View Quote

I had recently gone through the same thought process, ended up choosing a Z3 6ft, bought it about 6 weeks ago, came via R&L, pallet delivery to my garage.  Paid little over 300 bucks to R&L for delivery.  It gets installed this weekend, I'll report back findings after this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Zanotti over 20 years when safe placement necessitated on site assembly.  That capability is costly compared with pre-assembled safes.  However, I was very pleased with the quality of the safe, with assembly on a concrete floor easily accomplished.  The company was also a pleasure to deal with.

The only negative is the manual lock, which is "clunky", but still functional after > 20 years.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, all.  Since it's 3 votes to zero I'm going with the Zanotti (as soon as I pay down my credit card.)

Ancillary question - anyone purchase and install the pull down shelf they offer?  It looks handy, but I'm not sure the price is worth it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 12:23:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Thanks, all.  Since it's 3 votes to zero I'm going with the Zanotti (as soon as I pay down my credit card.)

Ancillary question - anyone purchase and install the pull down shelf they offer?  It looks handy, but I'm not sure the price is worth it.
View Quote

Make it 4.  I've had mine about 15 years.  I bought the 6' model with bottom drawers (no longer available.)  I love it.  As mentioned earlier, they are great people to deal with.  I emailed the owner and told him that I wanted to add a shelf and needed to buy the shelf holders.  He sent the holders AND the shelf for free.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Ordered the safe yesterday. 5 week lead time. I'll update when it arrives and I get it assembled.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Ordered the safe yesterday. 5 week lead time. I'll update when it arrives and I get it assembled.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

You are going to find that is goes together easily.  Read the directions, follow the steps in order, took 2 guys 45 minutes total to assemble.

I'm very pleased with mine, highly recommended!

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#9]
July 2023 Amazon link for the light kit I installed in mine: https://www.amazon.com/TORCHSTAR-Lighting-Linkable-Showcase-Daylight/dp/B01FDAET80
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 12:01:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R2point0] [#10]
Originally Posted By jrf1983:
July 2023 Amazon link for the light kit I installed in mine: https://www.amazon.com/TORCHSTAR-Lighting-Linkable-Showcase-Daylight/dp/B01FDAET80
View Quote
Hmmm, interesting.

Edit: Just bought the kit. It's going to sure for a while (see below.)
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought that same light kit for mine. It is awesome.  Much better than the rope light I had before.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I've come back to share some of my disassembly findings.  I am not close to done yet.

Zanotti recommends that you lube the pins before installation.  I used a generous coating of CLP, but they want grease.  The half dozen pins I've pulled so far have come out without trouble.  The pins are clean and rust free which is the P part.  The L part is minimal and the carrier has long since evaporated.  I would recommend (as they do) a good lithium or silicone grease and plan to use one on reinstallation.  Don't go crazy; a thin coat is plenty as the pins fit tightly.

The pins are right-angled at the end.  Be careful when hammering them in with even a rubber mallet.  I have one that I bent slightly during installation because I hit it on the end instead of at the turn.  I have not extracted that one yet.

For disassembly, I made a short handle out of CPVC that I had lying around.  I slip it over the end of the pin and wiggle back and forth about 60 degrees while pulling the pin out.  It is working well so far.

When you finish driving the pins in, I don't recommend pushing the ends all the way over tight to the sides and top.  Leave a little gap so that you can get your disassembly tool in without having to pry the end of the pin away from the side to get hold of it.  1/8" doesn't intrude much on the safe but it makes a difference during disassembly.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Will the Zanotti assemble within the space of its footprint? I'm thinking of one for a coat closet but if the walls have to be leaned out during assembly, it probably won't work.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got a confirmation call from Zanotti on my order. Asked how I wanted the interior configured, and the door swing.

Also told me it's more like 7-8 week lead instead of 5 like on the website. Not an auspicious start.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 3:23:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Oldgold] [#15]
Subscribed. I’ve been eyeing the XXL from Snapsafe. Off to the Zanotti website to see if they have one that large
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Just got a confirmation call from Zanotti on my order. Asked how I wanted the interior configured, and the door swing.

Also told me it's more like 7-8 week lead instead of 5 like on the website. Not an auspicious start.
View Quote

If it helps at all, I waited 5 months. I’d do it again.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By IPMan:
Will the Zanotti assemble within the space of its footprint? I'm thinking of one for a coat closet but if the walls have to be leaned out during assembly, it probably won't work.
View Quote

You will need some inches on either side to work. Fingers and hands have to go somewhere. The sides are not light so if the space you have is an exact fit, assembly could be trouble.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Another happy Zanotti Armor customer!. Bought a Z1 with carpeted interior, keyed dial and dehumidifier. Assembled it on a rainy Saturday afternoon when it was to wet to go trapshooting. Easy to put together and bolted it down on the concrete slab floor of my in home office.
Gary
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 6:40:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
https://steelheadoutdoors.com/
View Quote
I considered them, but too pricey for my budget.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got word that my safe will ship out late next week or early the week after. Faster than promised.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#22]
That is great news!  

I got my safe disassembled this weekend. It took about 30 minutes working by myself.  I can see that I bent more than one of the longer pins using a rubber mallet on them for assembly.

I called Zanotti today and asked about replacement pins. The lovely lady who picked up said she might be able to get them in the mail today. I asked how much and she said no charge.

I haven’t had a customer service experience like that since before COVID. I’m going to use my CPVC section of pipe and silicone grease on reassembly and skip the mallet this time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#23]
The safe has arrived! Truck shipped to my residence (for a fee of course), and the driver even wheeled the pallet around to the back of the house. 3 boxes on the pallet: top and bottom on the first, left and right sides on the second, and door and back panel in the third. The miscellaneous parts were distributed throughout the boxes.

Pics to come.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:08:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R2point0] [#24]
Finally! Got the safe installed, goldenrod installed, lights installed, and drawer...almost installed. pics and more description to come.

And the pics:

Attachment Attached File

This pic shows how little clearance there is between the top and the ceiling. Makes it virtually impossible to tilt it over to take it out the door whole. I'm going to lie and say I planned it that way.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This pic shows the optional drawer. I'm not sure it was worth the cost.  It's handy for small items, but there are other, cheaper solutions.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#25]
This one highlights the lighting system with room lights off.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/2/2023 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice safe, OP!

Enjoy and fill'r up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been looking at a modular safe for a while and this thread definitely helped me in choosing the Zanotti over the SnapSafe. I placed my order during their spring sale which includes the Z Plus interior for free. Zanotti quoted me 12 week lead time on a Z2 5ft, which kind of sucks but I didn't need it in a hurry.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By stimr2:
I've been looking at a modular safe for a while and this thread definitely helped me in choosing the Zanotti over the SnapSafe. I placed my order during their spring sale which includes the Z Plus interior for free. Zanotti quoted me 12 week lead time on a Z2 5ft, which kind of sucks but I didn't need it in a hurry.
View Quote
They quoted me similar but actually did better than that. Either way, worth the wait.

Now I either need to get another one or sell some guns. Or both!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:16:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#29]
Mine with the bottom drawers.  The drawers are full of pistols so I also use the shelf hangers.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a Zanotti that I bought used (Craigslist). I've moved it twice. I like the way it goes together. Compared to my Dakota (another modular safe) the assembly/disassembly of the Zanotti is much better. It also seems like a higher quality box.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top