Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2024 11:39:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gODZOOKIE]
It supposed to be here Friday
It’ll be my second flintlock (.45cal.) but my first kit

Was going to just go with the plain maple but saw that they had an extra fancy one that was 2% off because of an “imperfection”
It has a wormhole and stain but ironically, the maple floors in my house have that throughout
It has no bearing on the integrity of the wood at all
Plus, it was already boxed up and ready to ship

I’ll iron nitrate the stock and finish with Tru Oil and brown the barrel and lock
Don’t think I’ll do much, if any, decorative carving

Need to take a trip to Lowe’s for a couple of mill files, a heat gun (for the iron nitrate) and sandpaper, etc.
Oh, and patches and balls
I’ve made my own 3fff black powder but if I see a pound or two of GOEX out and about I’ll pick some up but I’m happy with my home made

Been on a YouTube tutorial binge and will use those for each step
Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm waiting on a .54 caliber Woodsrunner.  I went with the basic maple stock.  Hopefully it will ship soon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nvcdl:

I'm waiting on a .54 caliber Woodsrunner.  I went with the basic maple stock.  Hopefully it will ship soon.
View Quote

I hope it ships soon for you too!

Saw a couple of videos of people getting the Woodsrunner basic stock and there was still some nice flame/ figuring going on in the wood.
That’s why I was going with plain maple initially because I didn’t think I’d be disappointed with that in the least
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a colonial kit that's been sitting half finished on my workbench for a year now. Big thing I read was to put the barrel in the stock and the ramrod in the barrel if you're going to let it sit for a while before finishing to prevent warping of the wood due to the different humidities in different parts of the country.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By keeperofthedew:
I have a colonial kit that's been sitting half finished on my workbench for a year now. Big thing I read was to put the barrel in the stock and the ramrod in the barrel if you're going to let it sit for a while before finishing to prevent warping of the wood due to the different humidities in different parts of the country.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip
I’d sure like to get it done before warm weather but I still need to get my shop and bench cleaned up first
Wouldn’t take less than a day but I’ve been using it as more a storage room and I’ve more projects than I can count
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 5:07:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gODZOOKIE] [#5]
Woo! It’s here! *that was quick!
Just picked it up from the PO
Placed the order Monday and arrived today.
Haven’t opened it yet. Going to wait till my son gets home from school to open it together.
Will document build and post the opening of box here, hopefully soon

Link Posted: 1/26/2024 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By gODZOOKIE:

I hope it ships soon for you too!

Saw a couple of videos of people getting the Woodsrunner basic stock and there was still some nice flame/ figuring going on in the wood.
That’s why I was going with plain maple initially because I didn’t think I’d be disappointed with that in the least
View Quote

Got a shipping notice yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:51:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gODZOOKIE] [#7]
Attachment Attached File

Here it is in the rough. Man, that was kinda nerve wracking putting it together!
All went together fine, though. Just some clean up in the inlets with a chisel and file but the possibility of screwing it up was always present.

Brought it in the house from the shop to finish. Cold and damp out there.
I have it disassembled now.
Stock is ready to sand and finish with Ferric Acid/Iron Nitrate/TruOil.

Still need to smooth the barrel out some with some fine grit paper in preparation to brown. A little matte finish on the barrel seems sufficient for a hunting rifle so I’m forgoing draw filing it. I’d sure hate to screw that up at this point
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Here it is in the rough. Man, that was kinda nerve wracking putting it together!
All went together fine, though. Just some clean up in the inlets with a chisel and file but the possibility of screwing it up was always present.
View Quote

My constant montra while working on these is "Don't make a 500 dollar gun out of a 1200 dollar kit!!"

That goes through my head like the "Jaws" theme!!

Doc
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 4:26:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gODZOOKIE] [#9]
Just finished it! Here’s ‘Tiger’…
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Laurel Mtn Barrel Brown and Degreaser
8 coats. Carded each step. Does muzzle end really matter? lol
Attachment Attached File

4 coats Tried and True
Kinda rushed and finished with
2 coats rubbed shellac (not French polish)
Will keep stock waxed and shellac it when necessary

Will shoot when 8 yr old gets home
Anymore pic’s I’ll post in pic thread.
Thanks for looking!

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 4:45:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gODZOOKIE] [#10]
Originally Posted By DocGP:

My constant montra while working on these is "Don't make a 500 dollar gun out of a 1200 dollar kit!!"

That goes through my head like the "Jaws" theme!!

Doc
View Quote

Ha!
I know I’m sure glad that it’s over with!
It consumed all of my time, energy and soul this past week

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#11]
you did an awesome job on that.. wow..
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:10:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gODZOOKIE] [#12]
Originally Posted By cviss:
you did an awesome job on that.. wow..
View Quote

Thank you very much!

Shot it five times this evening - 60 grs.
Lotsa fun!
Tried different amounts in the pan but there’s too much delay after each ignition.
It’s certainly the homemade powder from 3 yrs ago. It was my first attempt at making powder and it was stored in a not very tight horn. *very dirty and too heavy a sulfur smell.
Time to make more before sighting it in and experimenting with different grains
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you going to try toilet paper for char coal ?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By cviss:
Are you going to try toilet paper for char coal ?
View Quote

Who would have thought that tp would make good powder? But it obviously does!

And if I didn’t already have some willow branches down and seasoned I definitely would
I will have to try it, though
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Absolutely stunning wood
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks good!  

Am working on getting the dimes saved up for a cherry stocked Southern Mountain Rifle. Maybe by summer?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Man, that is some beautiful wood on that smoke stick
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:03:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gODZOOKIE] [#18]
Thanks all!
I got very lucky
Was going to buy the plain stock but this xfancy maple came up as 2% off and ready to ship (per my other thread. Sorry to clutter up the board)
Hard to tell exactly how it would turn out by pics of course but I knew it was special
@cviss
I ended up charcoaling (sp?)4 rolls of Cottonelle TP.
Each roll came out at 20grams.
I’m not set up to corn it but I’ll just up the loose powder charge accordingly
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#19]
That came out great
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By gODZOOKIE:
Thanks all!
I got very lucky
Was going to buy the plain stock but this xfancy maple came up as 2% off and ready to ship (per my other thread. Sorry to clutter up the board)
Hard to tell exactly how it would turn out by pics of course but I knew it was special
@cviss
I ended up charcoaling (sp?)4 rolls of Cottonelle TP.
Each roll came out at 20grams.
I’m not set up to corn it but I’ll just up the loose powder charge accordingly
View Quote

cool let me know how it shoots..
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Welp you all got me. Ordered a Woodsrunner in .54 Friday. I have a CVA .50 & .54 Hawken that I bought complete in 1977 for $ 100.00 new.
Killed a lot of deer but have never even shot a flint. I can only pray for Tigers sister. That gun is awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top