Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2024 2:32:00 PM EDT
For anyone that has interest, I just received my Scythe Ti and will give a very brief comparison to my Diligent Defense S Ti.

First rifle, 300 BO Subs on Ruger American Ranch, 16 inch barrel:
Scythe - $995, A small amount of FRP, noticeable but not objectionable, after about 2 shots it settled down to a very quiet "I can hear the firing pin drop' level of sound.  I didn't test for POI shift or anything, I am using direct thread.  Fit and finish is excellent, a dullish, med-dark grey, quite a 'handsome' color.

It includes (2) very heavy duty, tool/wrenches, and another tool (looks like an endcap) to insert into the forward end (with endcap off). If you can't grip the silencer tight enough when taking the rear mount off, this 'adaptor tool', with a 3/8 square opening, allows one to get leverage with a 3/8 ratchet while removing the rear mount from the suppressor.

The welds are near perfect, very uniform, there is a *small amount of area where the overlap of welding made it very slightly less than perfect, but I had really to look for it, I don't even know why I mentioned it other than it's the only thing I can't rate a '10' (it's 9.9).  Looking down the baffles, they are pretty perfectly lined up, maybe 1/16 (or less) variation down the stack. 7.3 ounces and 6.16 inches, and 1.75 inches diameter (per Capitol Armory).  The dimensions make it slightly more compact than the Enticer.

**I'm using the stock endcap with built in radial brake, I have no way to measure it's effectiveness on either recoil, muzzle rise, or sound.  I believe they either offer or will be offering a single port endcap and I have no idea what, if anything, it will affect.  The endcap can be removed with the tri-pin tool, the rear mount, if stuck on the barrel, can be removed with the tool (it has wrench flats).

Diligent Defense S Ti- $745 I have had this one for a while and always enjoy the performance and lightness.  Same Ruger rifle, no FRP, it seems as quiet on the first shot as all others. Granted my ears are not calibrated, but if I cant tell any FRP, there must not be much.  Finished in raw polished titanium, the machining is excellent, the finish very uniform, the edges of any machining are very crisp and uniform (but not cut your finger sharp).  The circumferential baffle welds are also very nicely done, with only a small deviation where the welds overlap at the start and beginning.  They are slightly more visible than the Scythe as the raw finish makes the discoloration of the welds more apparent, with comparable finishes, they would also be almost indistinguishable like the Scythe, I'll rate these a 9.7 and once again, it's the only thing that is less than perfect, and not by much. Looking down the baffle stack, there is one baffle that's slightly less than 1/8 out of alignment, not enough to worry me and I'm pretty anal. 9.3 ounces, 6.75 inches, and 1.625 diameter, per Capitol Armory.

It's very, very, quiet, like "hear the firing pin drop" quiet. VERY hearing safe.  At 65 yards the sound of the bullet hitting steel is much louder than the shot itself. Like WOW, that's smack of steel is loud.

I don't recall it including any tools, but the barrel mount has wrench flats accessible from the outside, and the endcap can be removed with either a wrench or a size 60 torx bit.  DD sells a 'T' handle, CNC machined aluminum #60 torx for not much $, get one.  

Second rifle: Springfield Saint 300 BO pistol, 10 inch(?) barrel w/ adjustable gas block.  No noticeable FRP from either can, both very similar in sound and tone (on both rifles).  Neither seemed gassy, but the DD gave me a slight wiff of gas on one shot, but small enough not to bother me, plus, it very well could have been simply the way the wind blew during that particular shot (it was a little gusty).  Both were what I would consider hearing safe, but not certain how many shots (magazines) I would want to shoot w/o hearing protection simply b/c I don't like loud noises (the bolt gun I would shoot all day w/o muffs or plugs).  Actually the sound of the bullet hitting steel bothered me more than the shot itself (bolt gun).

Conclusion:

They both have excellent build quality and are similar in performance, tone, cost and weight (to my ears and wallet). They are both lightweight (within 2 ounces), both under 10 ounces, $1,000, and 7 inches.  I don't believe either is considered a 'hard use' suppressor but fully believe one could run a carbine class and not destroy your can. Please consult your manufacturer.

I feel the DD Enticer has the edge on the bolt gun due to little or no FRP and is maybe slightly quieter; is it possible it has a bit more backpressure? Maybe so, but if so, perhaps that's why it's better on the Ruger.

I feel the Scythe has a slight edge on the Saint AR.  It may have less backpressure, leading to less port pop, therefore slightly quieter for the shooter, I'm not as concerned with bystanders ears as my own ears.

Would I buy them both if I had to do it over, would I buy a second one of either? Absolutely yes to both questions.  Is the Scythe worth the $250 premium, I'm not certain...

I will be leaving the DD Enticer on the bolt gun and the Scythe will do duty on the AR in 300 BO.

As I use these a little more I will update this thread if anything new comes up, if there are no updates, then my initial opinion stands.

Next Up:  Scythe vs. Enticer on AR15 and Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 caliber.  As well, my new Mustang 22 silencer , I'll try that on a few guns, probably Ruger Lite 22, maybe Buckmark pistol, S&W MP22 rifle, and maybe a bolt gun as well.  I could compare it to the ECCO Salamander, CGS Siren, and DA Mask
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow thanks for sharing. I was literally considering getting one of these cans, still undecided. Kinda think the answer here would be get both. But if you had to pick only one how hard would it be to choose and which one?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more reviews.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#3]
Thanks; I look forward to reading your 5.56 (or other supers) comparison, also.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#4]
They might compare differently with differently barrel lengths or with blackout supers. Or they might be even closer. Either way they’re competitive and with a significant price spread so the consumer gets choice.  Thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fmkenner:
Wow thanks for sharing. I was literally considering getting one of these cans, still undecided. Kinda think the answer here would be get both. But if you had to pick only one how hard would it be to choose and which one?
View Quote

If I had to choose one, I'd say it depends...

Bolt gun only - DD Enticer
AR - Scythe

If this can will be doing double duty it's hard to say.  The Scythe is slightly better looking, slightly lighter and shorter (short and fat just looks more purposeful).  The Enticer is 25% less expensive, slightly quieter on bolt guns, no FRP, and with paint or cero-coat, could be just as good looking.  Long and slender looks better on a bolt gun (to me).

Once I try them on a 556 it might bring out a winner
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
They might compare differently with differently barrel lengths or with blackout supers. Or they might be even closer. Either way they’re competitive and with a significant price spread so the consumer gets choice.  Thanks for the review.
View Quote

All very good points, they might change places based on that.  If I recall correctly, subs like a larger diameter can while supers do better w/ length, someone correct me if I am wrong.

I don't have any supers, but I might have to get some and re-do this experiment. All the 556 will be 16 inch barrels
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you so much.  It is nice to see/read a suppressor experience by a person not looking to get more views.  You did a great job. Keep them coming.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 6731HBAR:
Thank you so much.  It is nice to see/read a suppressor experience by a person not looking to get more views.  You did a great job. Keep them coming.
View Quote

Completely agree.  Nice work!  If I were in the market for another .30 can, I'd be looking mostly at lightweight ones and reviews like this would really carry some 'weight.'
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys, as a user and buyer, I try to give what I would be looking for in a review. Simple, detailed, but include points that are important to me without too much distraction.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the review.  Makes me want to buy a DD Enticer S Ti.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the great writeup.  I look forward to you views on the Mustang22.  I really like mine, but I've only used it on a couple of handguns, an AR22 conversion, and Ruger 10/22.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By arndog123:
Thanks for the review.  Makes me want to buy a DD Enticer S Ti.
View Quote

You really can't go wrong with this choice.  It hit my trifecta of weight/price/performance.  You can buy lighter, cheaper, or quieter, but not in the same package.

Some might complain about cleaning, others about durability, or sparking.  All valid points but not my concern at this time, maybe in the future it will be but I can get a different 'hard use' can if needed.

If by chance you blow out your can, if I recall, they have a 'no BS warranty' (not that I'll ever put enough rounds downrange).
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By romad99:
Thanks for the great writeup.  I look forward to you views on the Mustang22.  I really like mine, but I've only used it on a couple of handguns, an AR22 conversion, and Ruger 10/22.
View Quote

I'll see what I can get done tomorrow.  Believe it or not, just the 4-5 paragraph OP took several hours to compose.  It has to 'flow' be logical, understandable, get the point across, and make sense to the reader (not the writer), that's why so many News articles today are basically unintelligible to read.  Often when I'm done reading an article I still don't know who did what to whom, who's the good/bad guy.

The Mustang will be going up against DA Mask, CGS Siren (carbon Fiber), I might throw in an ECCO Salamander as well (it's my dedicated bolt gun silencer).

I'm trying to get an awning installed on my trailer today
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m waiting on a Form 3 to clear so I can get my DD S Ti in hand. I’m very much looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:16:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FishKepr] [#15]
This is very timely.

Two weeks ago I put an Enticer STi in ATF jail and tonight I filed the paperwork for an RAR in 5.56.

EDIT:  Do you have a 5.56 end cap for the Enticer?   Curious what difference that would make.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:38:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By FishKepr:
This is very timely.

Two weeks ago I put an Enticer STi in ATF jail and tonight I filed the paperwork for an RAR in 5.56.

EDIT:  Do you have a 5.56 end cap for the Enticer?   Curious what difference that would make.
View Quote

Unfortunately I don't have the 556 endcap, but I'd love to hear from someone that does.

My theory is using a 30 cal endcap on a 556 will have less backpressure, causing less gas to face and maybe slightly less port pop, so quieter for me, the shooter.  I think the gains (or losses)  from a 556 endcap would be minimal?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top