Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2023 8:11:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK_Mike]
Sorry if this all has been hashed out but I wasn't aware of the DSA gas plug designed for suppressors until just recently.  It's a modified gas plug that uses
ported bolts to bleed extra gas off (Like Schuster nuts for the Garand).  I was shooting suppressed with the regular gas plug, but it was pretty violent and beats things up.

Using the normal gas plug the rifle ejects brass violently at 2 o'clock at least 30' or more when suppressed.  Brass was striking that grass covered berm hard a foot or two up, with the gas regulator wide open.  With the suppressor plug it was throwing the brass 10'-12' at 4 o'clock (just past the next bench stool) Quite reasonable using NATO ball.  I'll try the small port bolt next.  Worked well in semi and full auto.  Only thing that sucks is the gas plug is dedicated so to shoot non-suppressed you have to switch the plugs back to your standard plug.  And mine did not come with the handy "L" lever, grrrr.  Suppressor is a Saker and rifle is select fire FN-FAL paratrooper.  I would like them to design a new plug that has normal and suppressed setting, and has the "L" lever.

Belgium FN FN-LAR select fire Paratrooper, original configuration.  Silencer Co Saker suppressor using muzzle brake QD mount.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The better mod is to tap the hole under the front sight disc, install a set screw there, then drill a smaller hole opposite the standard hole on the plug.

Then you can just rotate the plug instead of having to swap them.

Tougher mod but better.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

The better mod is to tap the hole under the front sight disc, install a set screw there, then drill a smaller hole opposite the standard hole on the plug.

Then you can just rotate the plug instead of having to swap them.

Tougher mod but better.
View Quote
Sounds like a really nice setup.  Having to change the plug is a bummer.  I don't understand why DSA doesn't offer a system/mod/plug designed to accommodate adjustment without having to be replaced.  I found out they won't even make the plugs with the "L" lever anymore for the time being.  They explained users were not always smart enough to leave the plug alone.  Perhaps people complain the rifle doesn't work after having turned the plug to the "G"renade position and not understanding what that will do.

I have to take a month break before I can continue testing but I'll take some video when I do.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AK_Mike:
Sounds like a really nice setup.  Having to change the plug is a bummer.  I don't understand why DSA doesn't offer a system/mod/plug designed to accommodate adjustment without having to be replaced.  I found out they won't even make the plugs with the "L" lever anymore for the time being.  They explained users were not always smart enough to leave the plug alone.  Perhaps people complain the rifle doesn't work after having turned the plug to the "G"renade position and not understanding what that will do.

I have to take a month break before I can continue testing but I'll take some video when I do.
View Quote

You know what...in 20 years of running my FAL match I have never seen that as a failure...and it seems like I should have.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 2:24:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Well it seems to be enough that they stopped offering the "L" lever which really annoys me.  It sounds like a BS answer in the first place but I really would like the updated version to make it a little easier swapping plugs.  Granted, it's not something most owners have to deal with but at least make a run of the updated plugs to convert for suppressor use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top