Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2024 11:47:00 AM EDT
I picked up a second hand Traditions Shenandoah kit for a reasonable price. This is the kit the Sonoran Desert Institute uses in their classes:

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:51:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#1]
Odd beech wood, but it has responded to aqua fortis and LMF stains under Permalyn Sealer pretty well. It's got some blemishes from the previous owner that I can't get out, but I'm OK with it:

4 or 5 coats and it's drying for the final time by the fireplace:

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Got the brass cleaned up:

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Put a 800 grit finish on the barrel and stained the ramrod:

Link Posted: 1/3/2024 8:51:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#4]
I used Jax Black on the barrel and it turned out ok.

Still deciding which sights to put on it. I have several options in hand, but sorta wanted to put peeps on this one.

Pleasantly surprised at at how well the Permalyn Sealer turned out on that beech wood. It really filled up the grain quickly, and I was able to get it pretty smooth. I would normally finish off with some Tried & True Oil  coats, but this isn't a high-buck Kibler after all, so will just leave as is.

Link Posted: 1/3/2024 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks good. I built a CVA Kentucky rifle that's basically the same thing

in the early 90's but I wish I had bought the flint instead.

Did your kit not have the sights? Your drum clean out screw is also

not installed in your pics. If that's missing I'm pretty sure that

Dixie gun works has them. I replaced mine at one point and I think

that's where I bought it. They will also have sights.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:08:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#6]
I've got all the parts I just did a quick assembly of the brass and barrel to check fits and left the small stuff off in the pic. I took it all back apart this morning because I just could not stand the wet-look shiny finish, and just got thru cutting it back to a satin with 0000 steel wool wet with mineral oil (I generally can't be pleased, and can't leave well enough alone, character flaw). Boy what a diff, feels smooth as a baby's butte:

I'm deciding which sights to use; several options:

I'll have it back together tomorrow and post a better pic.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 4:15:01 AM EDT
[#7]
That beautiful, hope she shoots as good as she looks!
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 6:04:58 AM EDT
[#8]
That looks very nice!
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Instead of those other sights I had a blank rear sight (TOTW RS-B-1) and decided to grind it down into a ghost ring peep and give that a try:

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:49:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#10]
Finish hardening up nicely considering it's winter. May take her to the range tomorrow! We'll see...
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Let us know how that peep sight works.  That's a mile away from your eyeball.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#12]
This is pretty dope
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:10:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Riter:
Let us know how that peep sight works.  That's a mile away from your eyeball.
View Quote

Just got back from fun day at the range sighting her in. Exceeded expectations to say the least. Those Spanish really make good muzzleloader barrels.

That peep was a good experiment; really helps my old eyes. I'll probably fab one up and install same setup on my Kibler flintlock.

I kept best target to post:

That was 50 yards, .490 ball, red pillow ticking patch, Muzzle Magic lube, 50 grains Goex 2F
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:39:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#14]
Attended the annual AL KY Rifle Show at Joe Wheeler St Pk on Sat.    Had discussions with several savvy longrifle collectors about the historicity of peep sites. They were definitely used early on, like way back to the European matchlock era, and not just tang sights.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice work.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:52:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#16]
Originally Posted By mardoc:
Nice work.
View Quote

đź‘Ť
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#17]
This inexpensive Spanish rifle has turned out to be the most accurate patched ball gun I own. It has to be the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Congrats on a nice build!
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#19]
That turned out nice, I think I may have the same rifle hanging on my wall, my Dad bought a kit like that in the 80’s, it looks exactly like yours

I haven’t shot it since I was a kid, I need to get it out and shoot it
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By McGarrett:
That turned out nice, I think I may have the same rifle hanging on my wall, my Dad bought a kit like that in the 80’s, it looks exactly like yours

I haven’t shot it since I was a kid, I need to get it out and shoot it
View Quote

Cool. Post a pic? Also a close up of the lettering on the barrel?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top