Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 2/17/2024 9:21:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus]
I've been curious about Tops knives for awhile. Used to see them for sale at various gun shows I went to and I always thought they looked decent. But I honestly don't know anything about them.

I'm drawn to their Pig Hunter. Partly because its shaped like the Crysknives in the new Dune movies. I'm thinking of getting one after I see Dune part deux.

Attachment Attached File

Anyone here have anything to say about them?
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Have it, like it, though I've never used it for anything.  If you want slightly cheaper than TOPS or one of several slight variations, they are on EBay under some Russian name, maybe Kislar or something very similar.  Makes me think if they make the knives for TOPS
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:08:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HKaltwasser] [#2]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
I've been curious about Tops knives for awhile. Used to see them for sale at various gun shows I went to and I always thought they looked decent. But I honestly don't know anything about them.

I've been drawn to their Pig Hunter. Partly because it looks like the Crysknives in the new Dune movies. I'm thinking of getting one after I see Dune part deux.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/383325/Pig_hunter_jpg-3132676.JPG

Anyone here have anything to say about them?
View Quote

I have one as well, they're made in the US. I like mine, it's plenty sharp. I have medium to large hands and it feels nice in the hand.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:35:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
Have it, like it, though I've never used it for anything.  If you want slightly cheaper than TOPS or one of several slight variations, they are on EBay under some Russian name, maybe Kislar or something very similar.  Makes me think if they make the knives for TOPS
View Quote

Are you referring to kizlyar knives? They are Russian but they have absolutely nothing to do with Tops
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I like mine.....however, they require A LOT of oil.  It gets rust spots if left dry for any amount of time.  Also the sheath is cheap garbage
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
View Quote

I bought the TOPS Wild Pig Hunter because at the time (about 5-8 years ago), it was going To be a pain in the butt to get the original Kizlar knife.
It was my first TOPS knife and I'm glad I bought it. In fact, I bought a second one 2 weeks ago. It's a little different than my original but still a great knife.
The point on my first one is needle sharp and not dainty. I still don't know how they did it, but it's a very strong tip.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I own two of their knives, Built like tanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I like several of their designs, but I'm  not paying what they're asking for 1095 blades, I also wish they had sterile versions without billboards on each side.

Nothing wrong with 1095, but they charge way too much for most of  their offerings.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I see someone already commented about the sheath.
If I remember correctly it’s leather right?
That is the only thing that has stopped me from purchasing one so far.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes comes with a leather sheath.
DO NOT store it in the leather sheath. It WILL rust.

I oiled mine well and put it on a shelf in our living room in the leather sheath. Two weeks later I took it out and it was speckled and pitted with rust.

They make a blackout version with a kydex sheath but it’s hard to find in stock.

https://bladeops.com/tops-knives-blackout-wild-pig-hunter-fixed-blade-knife-1095-carbon-black-blade/

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Willz:
Yes comes with a leather sheath.
DO NOT store it in the leather sheath. It WILL rust.

I oiled mine well and put it on a shelf in our living room in the leather sheath. Two weeks later I took it out and it was speckled and pitted with rust.

They make a blackout version with a kydex sheath but it’s hard to find in stock.

https://bladeops.com/tops-knives-blackout-wild-pig-hunter-fixed-blade-knife-1095-carbon-black-blade/

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179550/IMG_5974-3133000.jpg
View Quote

I wonder if you could contact TOPS and buy the kydex shreath?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

View Quote

Here you go.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Use it to chop broccoli. No need for Dana Carvey link....

It will rust. Ditch the leather. Can't remember where my kydex came from, only that it took FOREVER.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:49:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:

Here you go.
www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLL5X24Q
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

Here you go.
www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLL5X24Q

Well, heck. Look at that. Thanks!
@JustDaniel
You know, if I remember correctly, I think TOPS made another WPH in another name. It had black/white grips and was called the Special Agent, or something. The CIA? I can't remember but it was cool and a limited run.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:38:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Not just surface rust, it will pit in no time. I stripped the finish off and forced a patina on mine then made a sheath for it.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Tops is one of the last US regular production companies hand making knives. They start from plate steel and the only automated process is water jetting the blank. From there they don’t use CNC’s or even jigs. Their quality and consistency is insane considering. Measure, mark, and grind.

They post production videos on Instagram from time to time and the guys are truly artists. Yeah it’s “only” 1095, but it’s hand ground by humans who are relentless enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:53:59 AM EDT
[#16]
That looks like a cool knife. I really want a silent hunter though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:29:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-: Yeah it’s “only” 1095, but it’s hand ground by humans who are relentless enthusiasts.
View Quote

Not all of their offerings are 1095, but most of them are, I like 1095, but not at that price point.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I had looked at the WPH for a couple of years but never really looked at the price.  For $201 I would have bought one years ago.  It fits my hand well and looks well made.  Mine got a nice rubdown with CLP, let sit overnight, and wiped off the excess.  Same treatment as my 40 year old Kabar that has lived RUST FREE in the leather sheath since the early 80's.

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:14:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#19]
Originally Posted By PALADIN-hgwt:
I had looked at the WPH for a couple of years but never really looked at the price.  For $201 I would have bought one years ago.  It fits my hand well and looks well made.  Mine got a nice rubdown with CLP, let sit overnight, and wiped off the excess.  Same treatment as my 40 year old Kabar that has lived RUST FREE in the leather sheath since the early 80's.

Paladin
View Quote

Store it in the leather sheath it comes with and don't look at it for 2 weeks. It will have rust.

It's not from lack of oiling the steel, I believe the tanning salts in their leather is the cause.

If you noticed the knife does not ship in the sheath. They know it will rust in the sheath just sitting on the warehouse shelf.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:52:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PALADIN-hgwt] [#20]
Sadly, I don't remember if the blade was in the sheath as delivered.  Wife says yes, it was in the sheath inside the plastic bag.  There was no box, just the plastic bag like a bunch of ESEE's were shipped to me.  Does vegetable tanned leather have chemicals that rust 1095?  I'll keep an eye out for rust either way.

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Have one of their "Silent Warrior" blades rolling currently in my backcountry vehicle loadout kit  (bottom left in pic) -  been using it hard for a few months and like it a lot so far.    

The edge freshens up relatively easily -  it differs from the hog hunter in that i would describe it as a Chef's knife on steroids .    Its thick, takes a beating and is cheap enough that i dont sweat leaving it in the truck too much - where i definitely wouldnt feel comfortable doing that with one of my customs

In short - tops makes good shit, buy with confidence if thats the blade style you need

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top