Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2023 6:07:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR]
Learned something today. Some Swedes came with a threaded barrel for a flash hider and BFA. 14x1 right hand. Bought one today, made in 1911. Buying Modifying a Griffin Taper mount for it, and once I see how concentric the threads are, decide which of my cans I should use, or if I should buy another can for it.

I’m going to be the only jackass at the monthly match shooting a suppressed vintage gun.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't see a swede mauser NOT being concentric.  QC was better back then with just about....everything
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Another concern is blocking the sights. I wonder if I need to buy an Ecco Furtivus. Its getting harder and harder to get by without any of their cans.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:38:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#3]
Double, please delete.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The Furtivus is pretty sexy.  You should get an unfinished one and go for the steampunk look.

Hope that Swede will take a can!
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#5]
What ammo will you be using? Surplus or reloads?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By spot-remover:
The Furtivus is pretty sexy.  You should get an unfinished one and go for the steampunk look.

Hope that Swede will take a can!
View Quote

Yeah, that might be cool. The Colt grayish black color might match well, too.

I’m sure the threads are good enough for a .30 cal can, I’m only concerned about concentricity because I have a 6.5 can that could possibly work with the taper mount. I currently use it with a Plan A, so I really wouldn’t have to change anything. The only .30 can I currently have does not have 14x1 mounts available. And the next step up is a .458 can that also has a Plan A on it, but its a 1.7” diameter can.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:

Yeah, that might be cool. The Colt grayish black color might match well, too.

View Quote

I just got a form 1 back that I had them recore and refinish in Colt grey/black.  It's very grey but I'm betting it gets darker with use.  My other one started the same but has now turned a really cool greenish brown.  Its titanium so it gets really hot though.

FYI ECCO has 10% off for Black Friday.

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 11:42:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#8]
Did some mocking up of a few cans. 1.7” is borderline too thicc, 1.5” is a maybe, and 1.37” would certainly work. Looks like I have to buy an Ecco can now.

@ECCO_Machine any thoughts on which length I should choose?
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 2:25:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ECCO_Machine:

Well, 8" is my go-to for full power and smaller magnum rifle rounds.  Obviously Furtivus has less volume than Valkyrie or Accipiter, but being tubeless, it's still pretty comparable volume to a 1.5" OD core-in-tube suppressor.

Are you gonna need a 14x1 Alpha direct thread, or planning to use the Griffin muzzle device?  I don't stock 14x1 RH, but I keep blanks on hand to do semi-custom DT mounts quickly.

8" is what I run on my Marlin 1893 in .25-35

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583261/20231129_232443-3044649.jpg
View Quote

Sounds like 8” is what I need. As for adapters, I might direct thread it, though I’m still going to get a taper mount to check threads using an alignment rod and one of my existing cans before I declare this idea viable and buy a Furtivus. The threads’ shoulder is pretty sketch.  Not square at all. Worst case scenario, I end up using a grossly overbored can.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#11]

So, here’s what the threads look like. After I clean everything up, I’ll prolly end up using a short Furtivus in .30 and maybe a 5/8x24 Accuwasher, if they sit properly on the shoulder.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
What ammo will you be using? Surplus or reloads?
View Quote

Both. I’ll probably make some mild reloads, like 123s at the sameish velocity as the original 140s, so the sights will match to 500 yds.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought the swed mausers that were threaded were for a blank firing device for the wooden bullet blanks??

When they started importing them here, some aftermarket ffl was adding a flash hider.

That’s what I was told anyways.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By country_boy87:
I thought the swed mausers that were threaded were for a blank firing device for the wooden bullet blanks??

When they started importing them here, some aftermarket ffl was adding a flash hider.

That’s what I was told anyways.
View Quote

True....I'm not sure on the FFL...however I do have one those aftermarket flash hiders...somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:15:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#15]
Bump for update: today I sent an adapter to Ecco to be re-threaded to 14x1 RH so that I can check alignment and decide which way to go with this.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:43:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#16]
Bump, because otherwise it’ll archive the day before I get the parts in hand.

Also, it occurs to me that if the thread shoulder won’t do, I can try a muzzle index setup, though that too, would probably be custom.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I’ve got the mount now, and checked alignment. Unfortunately, it seems that back in 1911, they weren’t thinking very hard about silencers. Also, as we’ve established, it needs a small outside diameter can to work with the sights, which are also reflective of the time they were designed in.

Looks like I’ll be doing a .30 Furtivus soon.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Swedish Mauser too, that I’ve toyed with this idea too. I seem to recall that there are some sweet diopter match sights available for the Swede. I don’t know much about them, but do those raise the sight over bore? If so, that would be a perfect match for a suppressed Swede.

The best part of the Swede is the 6.5x55.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I again checked the alignment with a long .30 can this time, and the tightest spot was about the same clearance as I would expect around the entire circumference of the rod with a modern, high-quality setup. Definitely a lot better than with my 6.5 can, wherein the rod hit the cap. So, I’ll be getting a Furtivus .30 7” soon.

Originally Posted By Shackelford762:
I have a Swedish Mauser too, that I’ve toyed with this idea too. I seem to recall that there are some sweet diopter match sights available for the Swede. I don’t know much about them, but do those raise the sight over bore? If so, that would be a perfect match for a suppressed Swede.

The best part of the Swede is the 6.5x55.
View Quote
It’s a delightful cartridge. Low recoil, suitable for modern heavy bullets, flat shooting. It’s especially pleasant compared to most other pre-‘42 military rifle cartridges, but even today in a modern rifle, it’s very, very good. When Hornady standardized the Creed, they took a ~110 year old cartridge and made it fit a short action gun using current powders, and changed it just enough to call it different. Anything that cartridge will do, so does the Swede.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top