Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2022 2:56:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#1]
It was a great class with a great group of people.

We had a good mix of police, prior military, and regular folks who wanted to learn how to run night vision.

I got to use a lot of different night vision in my military career, from PVS-5s, 7Bs, 14s, vehicle mounted and hand-held IR and thermals. But since I was a regular Army guy, Field Artillery at that we never really had any good instruction on how to run your individual kit and night vision.

I had 3 deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan carrying a M4, PEQ-15 and PVS-14s but we never zerod our PEQ-15s and we never got anything near the level of instruction we received during the two day/nights of NF101.

Some takeaways for anyone interested in taking this.
1. If you don't have your own night vision gear, you can rent it from TNVC and the cost is cheap for the equipment you will be using. I don't own any Night Vision so I rented the full set of WP binos, laser and helmet and it was so worth it. I've used PVS-14s when I was in the Army and the WP binos that TNVC rented me blew anything anything I ever used before. Bad thing is I've got to figure out a way to justify the $$ for buying my own set of WP binos.

2. Nightfighter 101 it is not a intro carbine or pistol class. You need to know how to properly handle your weapons before you get this. It is a intro to working with/fighting with night vision.

3. With that said, you don't need to be police or military to take this class. All you need is a desire to learn how to employ night vision. While we had police in the class, there were guys there that were wanting to get into night vision for hunting or like me just want to learn how to properly use the night vision and get to play with equipment I normally wouldn't have available.

4. It's a night class so you are going to be up late. We were going until 0400 the first night and finished up at 0200 the second. I wasn't keeping a eye on the time and didn't realize we had gone so late the first night until we were done. So be prepared if you usually turn-in early.

5. While it is not too physically demanding, you will spend most of your time standing with your kit on. I haven't carried a rifle on a sling for a extended period of time since my last deployment in 2014, same for wearing a set of nods on a helmet. My neck, shoulders and upper back were hurting. Wear your kit around as much as you can before you come to the class get your body acclimated to carrying your load. I kept things simple in my load-out with just a battle belt with pistol, 3 mag pouch, flashlight and an IFAK. This was really all I needed for the drills we ran. For me, a plate carrier would have worn me down and been a distraction since I'm not used to wearing one for 10-12 hours at a time.

6. You don't need to invest in the latest and greatest high-speed low drag gear before the course. I took stuff I had available to me and now have a list of stuff to buy based on what I learned in the class. I took an old beat-up Aimpoint CompM2 that I had laying around in a drawer since I've moved to magnified optics for my rifles. I didn't have a pistol with a red dot so took what I have that had night sights - learned how hard it was shooting with just night sights the first night and a buddy of mine at the course let me use his backup pistol with a red dot. Yeah I'm getting a new pistol with a red dot now but would have probably regretted my purchase if I bought something before the course because what I thought would be the best before the course is different from what I want now. I think it is better to come out of the course with a informed list of stuff you want to buy than go into it with a bunch of stuff you thought would work great but didn't.

I learned a whole lot more but you will have to take the course to get that knowledge.

If you've read this far and are still trying to decide if the course is worth taking - it is. I'll be taking the Night Fighter 201 as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm definitely planning on attending 201.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I found the course to be very informative, safe, and fun.

The facility was great.  If you go to the Badlands facility, plan on staying at the provided lodging.  I believe it was an old retirement home.  It had two beds per room and a shared 1/2 bath.  There was a shared shower room down the hall.  For only $25 dollars per night it was very good.  There are hotels in Wichita Falls and Lawton within about a 45 min drive but you dont want to do that at 3am after the course. Plan to bring your meals and drinks.  They have a convenience store but are lite on restaurants.

Equipment... best to have a NV compatible red dot/LPVO and white light on both side arm and carbine/AR pistol.  I rented BNVD 1531, L3 ATPIAL, and helmet from TNVC.  It was good equipment at a very reasonable price.

Equipment lessons for me
1. My side arm had night sights.  The tritium produced alot of blooming on the NODS.
2. My carbine had a short picatinny rail. With my other gear already mounted, I nearly ran out of real estate mounting the IR laser/light.  
3. Practice problem solving your equipment blinded.   NODS are great but difficult to see equipment 1-2 feet from your face.
4.  NV height mount for my red dot would have been optimal .

The instructors were amazing.  They had a students with a wide range of experiences.  They were professional, well trained, knowledgeable and fun people. It was a good mix of didactics and practical instruction if you ask me.

You aren’t running the obstacle course but should be prepared physically.  As mentioned above, they expect your gear to be squared away when you get there (rifles sighted in…my pet peeve).  I’m sure not a problem for people on this forum, but it is not an introductory carbine/side arm class.

NF 101 class is highly recommended.  I would like to take the 201 class.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top