Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2024 7:06:42 PM EDT
First off I know nothing on here is official legal advice. I am just looking for general input only. Well unless there are lawyers on here willing to give free legal consultation im all ears.

If I am moving overseas and renting my house out (obviously will not store firearms there now) what is the best way to store NFA items. I do not have the luxury of having family members in the same state and I am not ready to appoint a friend as a Trustee on my trust. You just never know, good friends have falling outs all the time.

My plan was to use a storage unit but I have read mixed things about using storage units?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:13:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gearsmithy] [#1]
If it were me I'd find someone who I truly and honestly trust and put them on my trust (pretty sure that's why its called a 'trust'). I can tell you that I've met people who used to get tipped off by storage unit employees of which units have the 'goods'. That (IMHO) would be your absolute last option. I would seriously consider burying them on a family member's property before I'd put NFA items in a storage unit.

ETA: If my only option was storage unit, I'd try to find a way to securely conceal them in something not worth stealing (like a hollowed out table leg or something). IANAL so consulting an attorney might be a good idea. Also my attorney is on my trust (he's also a dear friend).
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a Job site lock box, secure and store NFA items at your parents, brother, sisters home.

If you're going to be OCUNUS for a long while, tack weld box closed for added security.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
1) Add family member you trust and who is not a felon to your Trust as a Co-trustee.  It doesn't matter if they live in another state or not.
2) Fill out form 5320.20 with all NFA items listed and the new address they will be residing at and send to [email protected]  
3) Once you get the form back, Drop off NFA items at your family member/trustee's house with copies of stamps and of your trust that enumerates them as trustees.  If you can't drop them off, you can actually mail the items directly to their door as they are trustee on the trust.
4) Move overseas
5) Come back from overseas and collect your shit

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
If they don't have the key or code, can you store at a lock box at someone else's house?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Consign them at a local gun store that handles that sort of thing. Spend the cash or save it. They’ll be old and out of date when you return to the states anyways.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Smurgeon:
 If you can't drop them off, you can actually mail the items directly to their door as they are trustee on the trust.
View Quote

No, you can't.
While federal law allows you to ship a firearm, TO YOURSELF, at an address in another state, no such exemption exists for shipping a firearm interstate to another member of a trust.
Further, UPS (in 2022) and FedEx (in 2021) stopped allowing nonlicensees to ship ANY firearm and only allow FFL's who are enrolled in their FFL shipping program.

USPS does allow anyone to mail a rifle or shotgun, addressed to themselves......but NFA firearms aren't rifles or shotguns.
USPS classifies them as "Handguns" for the purposes of mailing.431.2 Handguns Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (for example, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles) are defined as handguns.

That means while you can lawfully ship a silencer/SBR/SBS/etc via USPS or FedEx you violate their tariff. They can seize that package and you will have a difficult time getting it back because you didn't follow the tariff.

If you choose to mail a silencer/SBR/SBS/etc via USPS, you violate federal law.....a felony.

An option not mentioned above is "gunsmithing". You could hand them to a local FFL for gunsmithing, which includes repair, cleaning, function and safety inspection. It is not a transfer requiring ATF approval. He would store them until you return.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#9]
If the item fits, a deposit box at a local bank.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GrizzlyAdams:
Consign them at a local gun store that handles that sort of thing. Spend the cash or save it. They’ll be old and out of date when you return to the states anyways.
View Quote

That means a Form 4 to the local dealer, then another Form 4 to the buyer......$400 + the cost of the firearm.
NFA consignments aren't just "drop off" at the local dealer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:

Yes, ATF has published this advice on their NFA FAQ for several years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:
Originally Posted By ctfish15:
If they don't have the key or code, can you store at a lock box at someone else's house?

Yes, ATF has published this advice on their NFA FAQ for several years.

This^^^.  This sounds like the easiest.  Relatives to use/ friends house- lock box or even a larger gun safe if you have enough to fill it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

No, you can't.
While federal law allows you to ship a firearm, TO YOURSELF, at an address in another state, no such exemption exists for shipping a firearm interstate to another member of a trust.
Further, UPS (in 2022) and FedEx (in 2021) stopped allowing nonlicensees to ship ANY firearm and only allow FFL's who are enrolled in their FFL shipping program.

USPS does allow anyone to mail a rifle or shotgun, addressed to themselves......but NFA firearms aren't rifles or shotguns.
USPS classifies them as "Handguns" for the purposes of mailing.431.2 Handguns Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (for example, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles) are defined as handguns.

That means while you can lawfully ship a silencer/SBR/SBS/etc via USPS or FedEx you violate their tariff. They can seize that package and you will have a difficult time getting it back because you didn't follow the tariff.

If you choose to mail a silencer/SBR/SBS/etc via USPS, you violate federal law.....a felony.
View Quote

The USPS's definition of "capable of being concealed on the person" is based on the actual physical dimensions of the firearm at the time it's mailed, not whether it's legally registered as an NFA firearm.  If an SBR or SBS or even a machinegun can have a non-NFA-length barrel attached temporarily (easier with some firearm designs than others) and assuming the OAL is also long enough I don't see why it couldn't be legally mailed.

Silencers would still be a problem though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#13]

No, you can't.
View Quote

Might want to let these guys know that...

How Do I Ship NFA Firearms to An Out of State Trustee
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By scottr:

View All Quotes

No, you can't.

You might want to read the date on that.
While he may claim his trust allows the shipment, UPS/FedEx/USPS disagree.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy a safe. If you trust your renters, leave it there. If not, put safe at relatives house
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#16]

You might want to read the date on that.
While he may claim his trust allows the shipment, UPS/FedEx/USPS disagree.
View Quote

You said federal law doesn't allow it, which federal law changed since they wrote that?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#17]
My local range/gun club has storage for rent.  Specifically meant for storing guns and gun related shit.
Banks have safety deposit boxes.

OP didn't really mention the amount of NFA items, by volume, mass, or dollar amount.  The answer for a few cans may not be the same as for an HK sear which wont be the same as a few dozen SBRs.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#18]

You said federal law doesn't allow it, which federal law changed since they wrote that?
View All Quotes

None.
I said: "While federal law allows you to ship a firearm, TO YOURSELF, at an address in another state, no such exemption exists for shipping a firearm interstate to another member of a trust."

§ 478.30 Out-of-State disposition of firearms by nonlicensees.

No nonlicensee shall transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any other nonlicensee, who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides: Provided, That the provisions of this section:

(a) shall not apply to the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or any acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence; and

(b) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

and.......
§ 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped: Provided, That any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any provision of this part.

(b) No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container indicating that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

(c) No common or contract carrier shall transport or deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm or ammunition with knowledge or reasonable cause to believe that the shipment, transportation, or receipt thereof would be in violation of any provision of this part: Provided, however, That the provisions of this paragraph shall not apply in respect to the transportation of firearms or ammunition in in-bond shipment under Customs laws and regulations.

(d) No common or contract carrier shall knowingly deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm without obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt from the recipient of the package or other container in which there is a firearm: Provided, That this paragraph shall not apply with respect to the return of a firearm to a passenger who places firearms in the carrier's custody for the duration of the trip.

Tell us where there is an exemption for shipping interstate to another member of a trust. When you find it please let me know. If you can't find it maybe you could ask the attorney that wrote that FAQ in 2012.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Well if no law has changed then that legal advice from 2014 would still be valid today. Why did you point out the date?

Who owns the firearm when it's shipped?

Who owns it when it's received?

The trust ships it. The trust receives it. No transfer has taken place. Same as an individual shipping a firearm to himself
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Well if no law has changed then that legal advice from 2014 would still be valid today. Why did you point out the date?
View All Quotes

It was 2012.
I pointed it out because ATF interpretation of a trust has changed, prior to 2016 when Rule 41F became effective, they treated trusts like a person, now they don't.
Thats why. Further, a trust IS NOT a person. Thats one of the reasons ATF came up with the term "responsible person" in 2016.

Who owns the firearm when it's shipped?

Ownership is irrelevant, its a matter of possession. One can have an ownership interest in a firearm but not be able to possess that firearm.

Who owns it when it's received?

Irrelevant.

The trust ships it. The trust receives it.

No, it doesn't. Just like a bank account doesn't mail a check.....a person does.

No transfer has taken place.

Again, my post explained the legalities of shipping a firearm interstate. Not whether a party in another state could lawfully possess that firearm.

Same as an individual shipping a firearm to himself

No, it isn't. That is a specific exemption to federal law on the interstate shipment of firearms.

Again, I would love to see a current citation from ATF saying that a trust can ship a gun to itself.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Again, I would love to see a current citation from ATF saying that a trust can ship a gun to itself.
View All Quotes

Straight from the NFA handbook:
the NFA also defines a person to include a partnership, company, association, trust, estate, or corporation
TITLE 27 CFR CHAPTER II   479.11
Person. A partnership, company, association, trust, corporation, including each responsible person associated
with such an entity; an estate; or an individual.
The final rule didn't remove trusts from the definition of person, it added the language about responsible people

So when the ATF says:
May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to him or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends
to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner "in the care of" the
out of state resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner may not open the package or
take possession of the firearm.
What they really mean is:
May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A partnership, company, association, trust, corporation, including each responsible person associated
with such an entity; an estate; or an individual
, may ship a firearm to him or herself in care of another person in
the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the
owner "in the care of" the out of state resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner may not
open the package or take possession of the firearm.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Check the date on the NFA Handbook. It hasn't been updated since 2009.
While it was a great resource back then, only a fool would use it as a resource now.

TITLE 27 CFR CHAPTER II   479.11
The final rule didn't remove trusts from the definition of person, it added the language about responsible people

Sigh.
ATF doesn't regulate trusts. States do. Westlaw says: it is not a legal person

So when the ATF says:
What they really mean is:

Yeah, run with that.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Whatever you want to tell yourself to be right...
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Whatever you want to tell yourself to be right...
View Quote

Again, I'm asking for you to tell us where there is an exemption for shipping interstate to another member of a trust.

If federal law allows such a shipping exemption I would love to know where to find it in ATF regs.

But no way in hell am I trusting a decade old FAQ from some lawyers website.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:41:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HansohnBrothers] [#25]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Again, I'm asking for you to tell us where there is an exemption for shipping interstate to another member of a trust.

If federal law allows such a shipping exemption I would love to know where to find it in ATF regs.

View All Quotes

I posted the exemption above. The current legal definition of a person is posted right under the language from the ATF handbook. That's what changed with the final rule. They added language about responsible people. They did not remove trusts from the definition as you stated

https://regulations.atf.gov/479/2023-01001
*Effective 1/31/2023 to present.
Person. A partnership, company, association, trust, corporation, including each responsible person associated with such an entity; an estate; or an individual.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/479.11
Person. A partnership, company, association, trust, corporation, including each responsible person associated with such an entity; an estate; or an individual.

https://www.govinfo.gov/app/details/CFR-2023-title27-vol3/CFR-2023-title27-vol3-sec479-11
 *This is the most recent version available on this website. Learn more about the CFR.

Show me where the ATF says that trusts are not people. When did Westlaw start passing laws and enforcing them? Absolute clown world
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I posted the exemption above.
View All Quotes
I posted the exemption above.

No, you didn't.

When did Westlaw start passing laws and enforcing them? Absolute clown world

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#28]

No, you didn't.
View All Quotes

No, you didn't.

See post #21
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearms-interstate-his-or-her-use-hunting-or-other-lawful-activity

I did miss this part on the copypasta from that response:
Last Reviewed October 25, 2018
That would be after 41F

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#29]

See post #21
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearms-interstate-his-or-her-use-hunting-or-other-lawful-activity

I did miss this part on the copypasta from that response:
That would be after 41F

View Quote

Oh good grief. Thats SHIPPING TO ONESELF. THAT'S not the same thing as shipping to another person. It's a specific exemption I referred to in my first post in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Oh good grief. Thats SHIPPING TO ONESELF. THAT'S not the same thing as shipping to another person. It's a specific exemption I referred to in my first post in this thread.
View Quote

Sweet, I'm glad you finally get it. The trust is shipping it to itself

Small point of order...It's not really an exemption. Everything which is not forbidden is allowed
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Sweet, I'm glad you finally get it. The trust is shipping it to itself

Small point of order...It's not really an exemption. Everything which is not forbidden is allowed
View Quote

Bless your heart.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#32]

No, you can't.

An option not mentioned above is "gunsmithing". You could hand them to a local FFL for gunsmithing, which includes repair, cleaning, function and safety inspection. It is not a transfer requiring ATF approval. He would store them until you return.

View Quote

Hmmm
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By NAM:
If the item fits, a deposit box at a local bank.
View Quote

Along with all of your other important documents (car title, 7 years of tax returns, ect...)

Accountant
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top