Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2023 9:35:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver]
I have a Sterling Mk2 transferable.  It's built off a DLO tube and I bought one with the threaded barrel option.  It's been awhile, but I bought it from an FFL / SOT in Florida that was finishing the guns.  Basically he had the tube, and when I paid him, that's when he finished building a working firearm inside the registered tube, then he transferred it to me.

I've had the gun for 3 years and I've never shot it.  It is what it is.  Any rate, I finally got a 9mm alignment rod.  I put a suppressor on the gun and it's obviously not straight.  I mean it's visually tilted, no need to use an alignment rod.

The alignment rod, WITHOUT the suppressor attached, does NOT go down the barrel.  So what are my options on fixing this issue?

1.  Leave it as is, put it back in the safe again (like it's been for the last 3 years).
2.  Leave it as is, shoot it without a suppressor.

Those two options don't work for me.  I know something I own needs fixing, so I have to get it fixed.

3.  There is something really wrong with the barrel because the alignment rod will only go down 2 centimeters.  I looked with a bore scope and the barrel (visually) looks fine.
4.  There is something really wrong with the add on threaded portion to a perfectly good barrel.  I am thinking this is the issue.  The alignment rod doesn't go deep in the barrel because it's touching the inside of threaded portion.

Assuming it's number 4.  I downloaded a manual on the Sterling SMG and it seems like the barrel removal is straight forward (I am not saying its easy, just straight forward).  The manual does not mention if putting a new barrel in is just as straight forward.

If I take out the barrel, should I replace the barrel and keep this one as a spare?  If I decide to get this barrel fixed, it'll be way easier to simply ship a barrel, instead of a registered tube.  Where should I get a barrel from?  I would prefer a new manufacturered barrel, no "new, old stock."  And one that is threaded.

Suggestions?

Attachment Attached File

You can see the alignment rod hitting the side of the extension, on the right side.

Attachment Attached File

This is as far as it goes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the threaded extension attached to the barrel or the end cap?

I’d just send it to John Andrewski to fix.

I have never seen an extended Sterling barrel after a good bit of looking because the hole in the factory end cap is not big enough to clear an extended barrel. I believe you have to open up the end cap first.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Pull the barrel and replace.  It’s only slightly more complicated than replacing uzi barrel
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Pull the barrel and replace.  It’s only slightly more complicated than replacing uzi barrel
View Quote

That’s excellent news. I have an Uzi as well, so that is easy.  

Source for barrels?  Specifically threaded barrels.  Even if it’s custom.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:13:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Years ago I had a custom extended and threaded barrel made for me by Scott Andrey and it works beautifully.  He faded from the NFA scene and nobody could get a response from him for a long time, but recently I have seen reports that he is back doing work at least a bit.  You might want to try contacting him at Scott Andrey Machine and see if he's up for a project.  The exit hole from the receiver needed to be opened up just a shade with a .5" drill bit- mostly just cleaning it up so there were no real alterations to the receiver.

In the meantime, I suggest you find a  used/serviceable barrel and go shoot the thing.  You may find that you don't like it anyway and it would be dumb to pour more money into a gun you don't like.  Once you manage to find a newly manufactured barrel somewhere, the old one can be a spare.  A brand new barrel is going to be a custom project anyway and is going to take a while even if you find someone willing to tackle it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Send it to John Andrewski.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Silverbear_51:
Years ago I had a custom extended and threaded barrel made for me by Scott Andrey and it works beautifully.  He faded from the NFA scene and nobody could get a response from him for a long time, but recently I have seen reports that he is back doing work at least a bit.  You might want to try contacting him at Scott Andrey Machine and see if he's up for a project.  The exit hole from the receiver needed to be opened up just a shade with a .5" drill bit- mostly just cleaning it up so there were no real alterations to the receiver.

In the meantime, I suggest you find a  used/serviceable barrel and go shoot the thing.  You may find that you don't like it anyway and it would be dumb to pour more money into a gun you don't like.  Once you manage to find a newly manufactured barrel somewhere, the old one can be a spare.  A brand new barrel is going to be a custom project anyway and is going to take a while even if you find someone willing to tackle it.
View Quote

I found his website and sent him an email.  Clearly I have time.  

Originally Posted By JoshNC:
Send it to John Andrewski.
View Quote

Great option.  I just don’t want to send anything NFA through any carrier, however I will.   I just don’t want to.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 7:27:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Email to Scott Andrey came back returned via Google, as in the email address is no longer valid.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

Great option.  I just don’t want to send anything NFA through any carrier, however I will.   I just don’t want to.
View Quote

USPS registered mail with an apple Air Tag in the gun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

USPS registered mail with an apple Air Tag in the gun.
View Quote

Nice.  Great idea.

I’ll certainly write that down.

Now, if I can source a threaded barrel or get one threaded, that would be ideal.  So I unscrewed my barrel and the threaded portion is on the end cap, not even attached to the barrel.  So, yes, it’s not concentric at all.

I’m sure I can remove that small insert.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#10]

So I unscrewed my barrel and the threaded portion is on the end cap, not even attached to the barrel.  So, yes, it’s not concentric at all.

View Quote

That was my suspicion.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#11]

So I unscrewed my barrel and the threaded portion is on the end cap, not even attached to the barrel.  So, yes, it’s not concentric at all.
View Quote

Wtf
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Let me guess,Dons gunshop? Don Quinnel.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By VK2XXM:
Let me guess,Dons gunshop? Don Quinnel.
View Quote

That is correct.  Don’s Gunshop for sure, I do not recall the Quinnel name though.  I spoke with Don but wrote the check to the business name.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Don also built me a sterling years ago.Sent it back 4 times to repair cracked welds,malfunctions,self closing stock while firing!Finally sent to John Andrewski for complete rebuild and refinish.Over 25,000 rnds later 0 malfunctions.John told me he could see daylight thru Dons crappy welds.Send your gun to JA and get it repaired correctly,just my friendly advice.Take care and good luck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:03:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#15]
Don also built me a sterling years ago.Sent it back 4 times to repair cracked welds,malfunctions,self closing stock while firing!Finally sent to John Andrewski for complete rebuild and refinish.Over 25,000 rnds later 0 malfunctions.John told me he could see daylight thru Dons crappy welds.Send your gun to JA and get it repaired correctly,just my friendly advice.Take care and good luck.
View Quote

Thank you for that advice, even if its not what I wanted to know.

How much did the complete overhaul cost you?  @VK2XXM

I know that it'll be more than what you paid back then.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah man,this was back in 2015 I paid 2080.00 was worth it to me.Dont know what the cost would be today.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah man,this was back in 2015 I paid 2080.00 was worth it to me.Dont know what the cost would be today.
View Quote

Thanks.  I wonder if I can commission an integral suppressor, change the finish to something that I want.  

This is gun isn’t historic by any means.   It’s a replica of a historic gun, but not historic in itself.  

It’s something that I can ask the expert when I talk with him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top