Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2023 11:07:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The SAR-48 are the pre-1989 import ban models. The SAR-4800 were the post ban models.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one of those it was set up like yours but with a different scope mount.
Killed a deer with it one season.

It was very accurate for an FAL.
I wish I had kept it. I have other FALs but don't
have an HB in the collection now.

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stahlgewehr762:
The SAR-48 are the pre-1989 import ban models. The SAR-4800 were the post ban models.
View Quote

Right.

There were four models, you have the heavy barrel model built with some Israeli parts IIRC.
Other models were the standard 21" rifle, a Para configuration with folding stock and ~17.5" barrel, and a "Bush rifle" which was the para length barrel with a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The Imbel Mfg SAR48's are probably the finest FALs ever made.

Attachment Attached File

I stumbled across this one a the local pawn/gun shop and they kept lowering the price
until I had to buy it. It was in basically un-fired condition but no box.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Better pic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:52:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#6]
I just saw one of these in a local gun shop (Looks just like the one EMSflyer posted, but I didn't look closely at the details). They are asking $4k for it.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#7]
They are running around 3500 on Gunbroker I hear
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Wolfpack:
Almost 2 decades ago I traded for a SAR-48
View Quote

Wow, I bet the party you traded with regrets that one!
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:01:54 AM EDT
[#10]
The SA 21" FAL's have the nicest looking bipods that I have ever seen on a FAL
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I seem to recall that they were made by Hellenic arms in Greece under license from FN.I could be wrong on that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:26:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#12]
Originally Posted By VK2XXM:
I seem to recall that they were made by Hellenic arms in Greece under license from FN.I could be wrong on that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No they were made by Imbel in Brazil. The heavy barrel models like OPs are mostly Israeli parts assembled by Imbel on Imbel receivers, I don't remember if the Israeli parts were made by FN or if they made them in Israel.

Originally Posted By EMSflyer:

Darn nice rifles for sure.

I wish at least the light barrel models were Type I receivers, although I understand that the heavier Type IIIs are stronger.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:20:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#13]
View Quote

That was the Springfield Armory SAR-3/SAR-8, which were G3's built under license from HK in Greece. I had one that I regret selling. Was very nice.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

No they were made by Imbel in Brazil. The heavy barrel models like OPs are mostly Israeli parts assembled by Imbel on Imbel receivers, I don't remember if the Israeli parts were made by FN or if they made them in Israel.

Darn nice rifles for sure.

I wish at least the light barrel models were Type I receivers, although I understand that the heavier Type IIIs are stronger.
View Quote

The earliest ones were Type 2 receivers ..... most were FA guns...... I've been looking for a T2 semi gun for at least 20 years
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:10:51 AM EDT
[#15]
The SAR-48 is pre-ban.

The ones with Israeli barrels and parts were assembled by Springfield in the US, on Brazilian receivers.

The Israeli barrels have metric receiver threads, while the Brazilian receivers have inch barrel threads.

Common practice is to tap the inch threaded receivers with the metric threads of the Israeli barrels, but Springfield passed this step and simply forced the Israeli barrels into the Brazilian receivers, with the mismatched threads.

As long as the barrel isn't removed, you'll never know the difference.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:16:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought my cousins last December for 1400. His is a SAR48 but he dumped the rear sight and added a fugly scope mount but a nice Lupy scope.

Need to find front and rear sight now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Air_Soft_Contractor:  The SAR-48 is pre-ban.

The ones with Israeli barrels and parts were assembled by Springfield in the US, on Brazilian receivers.

The Israeli barrels have metric receiver threads, while the Brazilian receivers have inch barrel threads.

Common practice is to tap the inch threaded receivers with the metric threads of the Israeli barrels, but Springfield passed this step and simply forced the Israeli barrels into the Brazilian receivers, with the mismatched threads.

View Quote

Why were the Brazilians not using metric threads?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Classic FALs are beautiful rifles.  The SAR-48 was a fine example.

I've never been impressed with the HB ("BAR equivalent").
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm pretty sure the SAR48 is an all Metric rifle.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Jozsi:
Need to find front and rear sight now.
View Quote

Was going to recommend DS Arms hooded rear sight, but just looked on their website for a link and they don't appear to have them anymore
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:48:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#21]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View All Quotes

It's somewhat confusing, "metric" and "inch" are nomenclature for the different configurations, they aren't dimensioned differently. The barrel threads are the same.

The "inch" pattern uses shims of different thicknesses to set the timing between the barrel and receiver. "Metric" configuration barrels have the threads and barrel shoulder cut to an exact spec to time to the receiver, which has matching timed threads. Inch barrels & shims can be installed on metric receivers, but not necessarily the other way around.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#22]

It's somewhat confusing, "metric" and "inch" are nomenclature for the different configurations, they aren't dimensioned differently. The barrel threads are the same.

The "inch" pattern uses shims of different thicknesses to set the timing between the barrel and receiver. "Metric" configuration barrels have the threads and barrel shoulder cut to an exact spec to time to the receiver, which has matching timed threads. Inch barrels & shims can be installed on metric receivers, but not necessarily the other way around.
View All Quotes

I'm still not understanding the issue.  If the bbls and receivers are threaded the same, it's just a question of timing, then what is Air_Soft_Contractor talking about?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:37:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#23]
I'm still not understanding the issue.  If the bbls and receivers are threaded the same, it's just a question of timing, then what is Air_Soft_Contractor talking about?
View All Quotes

I don't know. Israeli rifles have some differences in some of the parts, sight height is different, selector and lower receiver, some other things, but AFAIK they're typical metric pattern on the barrel to receiver. Imbel is, in general, all standard metric pattern stuff, IIRC they made some inch receivers as component parts for people to use with inch parts kits.

I'm pretty sure the SAR48 is an all Metric rifle.

The light barrel versions follow the standard FN "metric" pattern. The heavy barrel is the outlier, in that it's mostly Israeli pattern.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

The Israelis used a thread dimension for the barrel and receiver that differed slightly from the standard FAL thread. Usually, Israeli barrels just need to have the threads chased with the proper-sized die if they are being installed in a non-Israeli receiver.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Was going to recommend DS Arms hooded rear sight, but just looked on their website for a link and they don't appear to have them anymore
View Quote
That's a shame. I have one of those on my Austrian (mostly) FAL and it's really nice.

Glad I got one before they were gone.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:25:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Wolfpack:
Almost 2 decades ago I traded for a SAR-48, shot it a couple of times and put it away. It came with 50 mags (they were $3-5 back then at gunshows).

I used to see them for sale quite regularly when I got it, I just looked and found 1 online that is listed at $6000. Back in the day we valued this thing at $1500.

I believe this falls under the 1989 import ban or at least it did, don't know the status of that any longer.

Anyone have any info on this model? I see some have black plastic furniture, is this one more or less desirable?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15404/20230518_110855-2820741.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15404/20230518_110955-2820743.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15404/20230518_111203-2820744.jpg
View Quote

That is not the same as the full Imbel pre or post ban imports. That is an Israeli parts kit build on a Springfield imported Imbel receiver. They were sold as complete rifles by Springfield that way, but they are not factory Israeli or Brazilian guns.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#27]
This is correct.

Have had both and my current std. barrel SAR48 is a made in Brazil completely.
Probably the finest FALs ever made.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't think that would bring 6K. If you sell it, take the scope off.  The type of buyer to pay a premium will be looking for a more pure configuration.  They are in demand because a preban collector may want to fill a hole for the Israeli HB variant. They used to be less desirable even just a few years ago. Not so now.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#29]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46283/IMG_3722-631421.JPG

I stumbled across this one a the local pawn/gun shop and they kept lowering the price
until I had to buy it. It was in basically un-fired condition but no box.
View Quote

Rhodie
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#30]

<------  Mine has a giggle-switch.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

<------  Mine has a giggle-switch.
View Quote

They are fun aren't they?

My transferable Imbel SAR48 converted to an OSW config.

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jbntex:

https://i.imgur.com/LyTh3ab.jpg
View Quote

I put a 16" bbl on my SA48 and it was uncontrollable...I put the Izzy HB front end back on instantly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#33]
My SAR-48 is the middle rifle.  Bottom is DSA 16", top is a select fire FN paratrooper.  I wish I could buy that style of bipod, the feet are so pretty compared with standard bipods, and finished nicely in black.  My brother had the heavy barrel version.  The SAR-48 is one of the nicest FAL's I've seen, well built on Imbel, and accurate.

Link Posted: 9/6/2023 8:36:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#34]

<-----Mine is missing the R and has a giggle-switch.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA  double-tap...wait mag dump!
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

<-----Mine is missing the R and has a giggle-switch.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA  double-tap...wait mag dump!
View Quote
There are actually two select fire SAR-48's in my small town.  Quite rare, I think they only made 50 of them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 8:58:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK_Mike] [#36]
Originally Posted By jbntex:

https://i.imgur.com/LyTh3ab.jpg
View Quote
Yes, they are.  Dealer sample FN Paratrooper with 11" OSW.  I kept it light and clean.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#37]
To this day I regret passing up a SAR-48, it was some state militia trade in deal.  It was cheap, but not as cheap as the Century STG-58 kits on Imbel receivers I bought ($400 each) or the SLR-95’s I bought ($325?). At the time, just the Imbel receiver was $400 itself.  After looking at the accumulated total of all the stuff I did grab, I passed on the SAR-48…..  should have just done it anyhow though…. Think it was like $550 or $600 at the time.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Like butter.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I picked up an excellent condition SAR-48 recently on GB for about $2500 with all the taxes and fees.  Mine is the light barrel version.

I don't think the HB version's are as popular - def not $6k.  I'd put it on a 2 week penny auction ending on a Sunday night around 9pm EST to get top dollar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top