Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2023 9:03:01 PM EDT
They’re still out there, I missed it by a few minutes!

https://simpsonltd.com/ftr-7-82-ma-l1a1-fal-clone-c60405/
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Parts gun, unknown gun plumber.  Could be awesome or a nightmare.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
View Quote

This.

Seen a number of "good" deals on FALs turn into nightmares over the years.

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

Not a pats gun, it’s an FTR refurbished BSA L1A1 military rifle with its original receiver. Century imported a few hundred of these in early 90s and sold to LE, but they are legal for anyone to own.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 2:03:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Original military L1A1 receiver...ruh roh raggy.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 3:13:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mgwantob:

Not a pats gun, it’s an FTR refurbished BSA L1A1 military rifle with its original receiver. Century imported a few hundred of these in early 90s and sold to LE, but they are legal for anyone to own.
View Quote

ive seen a few illegal military fal rifles at gunshows over the last 30 years and id like to know what the story is. i know some came over from canada illegally but whats the story on century? please add more details. sounds neat.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 3:33:07 AM EDT
[#6]
One might consider it, the deal of the Century.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 3:45:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#7]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

"UNKNOWN ASSEMBLER FAL L1A1 CLONE "

" THIS CLONE WAS ASSEMBLED FROM A PARTS KIT" from the description
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 5:09:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Villafuego] [#8]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

Their description is wrong ...... and so was their selling price .....that's a 3K + rifle all day long
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AK47_COMMBLOC:

ive seen a few illegal military fal rifles at gunshows over the last 30 years and id like to know what the story is. i know some came over from canada illegally but whats the story on century? please add more details. sounds neat.
View Quote

The C1A1 was semi-auto only anyways, so while the paperwork may not have been right, there isn't a lot of illegal stuff about it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks to be a Century imported LEO.

It would still required some very very hard parts to find to convert it to FA.

They are legal and it is known to the ATF.

ATF at the SAR show years ago said they are aware of the LEO L1A1 SLRs and the tech branch head said that if it went to court, ATF will lose because of the once a machine gun always a machine gun rule.

My last encounter with one was at a pawn shop in Las Vegas.

ATF came and they gave it back saying it was legal.

The L1A1 was never fielded in any army as a machine gun instead it was a semi auto battle rifle.

And that is where the ATF will lose if they contest it.

Rick Vazquez and Ken Hutchens, former ATF honchos, have both testified on it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mancow:
One might consider it, the deal of the Century.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:45:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#12]
They’re still out there, I missed it by a few minutes!

https://simpsonltd.com/ftr-7-82-ma-l1a1-fal-clone-c60405/
View Quote

You've got to be fast with Simpson Ltd. I used to watch that site closely when I was an FFL. I can't tell you how many times I called within minutes of a gun being posted and it was already gone.

Also, what's up with their prices? Sometimes, they price their stuff stupid cheap, and sometimes they price stuff ridiculously high. BTW, I visited their showroom once. You've never seen so many turds gathered in one place. Seems like all the good stuff sells right away online and the dregs end up out on the floor.

A truly unique gun seller.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 11:09:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stahlgewehr762] [#13]
Originally Posted By Jozsi:
Looks to be a Century imported LEO.

It would still required some very very hard parts to find to convert it to FA.

They are legal and it is known to the ATF.

ATF at the SAR show years ago said they are aware of the LEO L1A1 SLRs and the tech branch head said that if it went to court, ATF will lose because of the once a machine gun always a machine gun rule.

My last encounter with one was at a pawn shop in Las Vegas.

ATF came and they gave it back saying it was legal.

The L1A1 was never fielded in any army as a machine gun instead it was a semi auto battle rifle.

And that is where the ATF will lose if they contest it.

Rick Vazquez and Ken Hutchens, former ATF honchos, have both testified on it.
View Quote

That's good to know. I'm glad that they didn't apply the same "logic" as they used when they ruled that the AK-based Yugo M76 sniper rifle is a "machine gun". Just like the L1A1, the M76 was never issued with an automatic-fire capability. Apples & oranges, maybe. Probably not an appropriate subject to really dig into on a public forum.

Interesting (baffling) stuff, that's for sure. I'm just glad that these historic and unique rifles are here (and legal) in the Land of the Free.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 2:25:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Well it looks like it could indeed be a LEO L1A1 Century import.  

Hard to be certain since they apparently wiped grease over the 0.5 megapixel camera lens…talk about crummy photos…
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 1:21:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#15]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

You've got to be fast with Simpson Ltd. I used to watch that site closely when I was an FFL. I can't tell you how many times I called within minutes of a gun being posted and it was already gone.

Also, what's up with their prices? Sometimes, they price their stuff stupid cheap, and sometimes they price stuff ridiculously high. BTW, I visited their showroom once. You've never seen so many turds gathered in one place. Seems like all the good stuff sells right away online and the dregs end up out on the floor.

A truly unique gun seller.
View Quote

The dregs sitting isn’t a unheard of thing.  Back when I worked in a gunshop our used racks were filled with the then currently unloved guns that were traded in but we couldn’t get sold.  I wish I had that whole rack now.  The majority were old American made doubles and all varieties of lever guns.  

I think gun shops these days are more prepared to say no thanks on what will be hard sells, battered old kmart single shots, garbage condition sporterized milsurps.  Lots of folks carry them in the shop only to carry them out again.   Not many people looking to drop a hundred on a sporterized  (badly) Carcano in a caliber that they cannot find ammo for.   Or even $60 for an H&R break action with the forend secured with electrical tape.  I mean get real, Paki Green tape or pfffft.

Edit, I forgot about the half dozen single shots like the Stevens falling blocks.  All rimfire and or defunct calibers.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I would like to add to this list that there were some imported pre 68 via ARMEX.  Not sure on the numbers, but we purchased some directly from them in 67 and still have one that was in our gunshop inventory since the day we received them.  Not many people are aware of these.  At that time we had purchased 5 of them and unfortunately I only have the one left.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I've seen a couple of supposed leo l1a1's at gun shows, they had UK pattern cuts in the reciever.
Were all the century guns Canadian?
John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top