Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2023 10:04:04 AM EDT
I bought a Shrike way back in the day and had endless problems.  I have a friend who has had better luck (Gen 5 I believe). Any idea what the differences are in the multiple generations?  How reliable are they now?
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine has run flawlessly.  Just use lots of CLP like any other beltfed.  I don't have any experience with the older ones but I'd trust my life to mine.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#2]
All I can add is I have a Gen 5 upper with the built in heat sink and have some 10k thru the upper on my Colt M-16A1. ZERO issues with M855 ammo and run the upper wet...
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:14:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine runs like a raped ape.  I have had it since 2018, and about 10k down range.  When I first got it, it was more finicky, and the was binding a bit, especially on new links   After about 1k rounds, and a bunch of LSA, it is fine.   That is not uncommon for belt fed weapons.

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I an early Gen 1 Shrike delivered Oct 2006 and it has always run great after the breakin described in the manual.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RpeF89tq7-Q&pp=ygUXQzNqdW5raWUgZG91YmxlIFNocmlrZSA%3D
Mine has the early modified 249 SAW tray.  Ares ran out SAW trays for sometime and shipped out aluminum trays that a lot of people complained about.  They later made them from steel and I don't think you hear about complaints from those.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m known to tune the Shrike/MCR well. Shoot me a Pm if you’re interested.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
For if they don’t work, or slow the rate of fire? I’d be interested in slowing the rof.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hopscotch:
For if they don't work, or slow the rate of fire? I'd be interested in slowing the rof.
View Quote
I posted this several times but in the full auto section and we are in the 'Belt-Fed Semi-Auto' Section but here you go:
Under 600RPM.  Note that I never stretch or lube my links.
LC M855.  
Gen1 Shrike M855 308Tubb A5 KynshotRB5007

Link Posted: 12/21/2023 5:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#8]
I've got an early Shrike.  It runs fine, but the ROF is up and down.
If you watch the video above, that one does the same thing.  You can hear it, when it hits a stiff link and slows down for one shot.
That makes it difficult to hold on target for off-hand shooting.  
It really needs a redesign, allowing the bolt's rearward stroke to over-travel the case head much further.....like an AK.
The BCG needs a longer head start, before it smacks into the case head during feeding.

Tony
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 5:27:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#9]
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:
If you watch the video above, that one does the same thing.  You can hear it, when it hits a stiff link and slows down for one shot.
It really needs a redesign, allowing the bolt's rearward stroke to over-travel the case head much further.....like an AK.
The BCG needs a longer head start, before it smacks into the case head during feeding.

Tony
View Quote

It definitely needs a redesign for a longer bolt travel. Hopefully a few are already in the works, waiting for Herring’s patent to expire. Iirc, it’s up in 2026.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

It definitely needs a redesign for a longer bolt travel. Hopefully a few are already in the works, waiting for Herring's patent to expire. Iirc, it's up in 2026.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:

Tony

It definitely needs a redesign for a longer bolt travel. Hopefully a few are already in the works, waiting for Herring's patent to expire. Iirc, it's up in 2026.
Yes...I notice it as well and as mentioned I don't stretch my links.  I presume if I did, maybe it would be more consistent but it is just a toy that I don't really shoot as much anymore.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#11]
@amphibian

You had to get the longer spacer from fightlite to go in your a2 buffer tube, correct?
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Hopscotch:
@amphibian

You had to get the longer spacer from fightlite to go in your a2 buffer tube, correct?
View Quote
No, I'm not using an A2 buffer tube... as mentioned on the Youtube title, I am using an A5 buffer tube as I like the option of a collapsible stock then the RB5007 hydraulic buffer is the same length as an A5 buffer when collapsed..
I have some of this documented on my site here: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=977
I use I think 1 or two quarters as spacers so the feed stud roller assembly doesn't slam into the lower.  Just remove the upper from the lower (with the spring and buffer installed) and shove the BCG into the tube with your hand and observe how much clearance you have and adjust accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#13]
The spacer just allows you to use the A2 style stock while aping the CAR style. I don't like the term "stretching" links. I prefer "conditioning". With as much variation to the links and the variables that go along with "used", conditioning them makes sense to me. To achieve the slower ROF, I use a cut down MG34 spring or SR25 and the Colt hydraulic buffer or the old AAC Slow Fire buffer. Have not used the PACT yet to get numbers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:56:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Lynch_Family] [#14]
Mine was purchased in 2023. No issues. Its a semi but also has a fun switch
https://youtube.com/shorts/-uKCk9alRDQ
https://youtube.com/shorts/NIY4J3-IYIo
https://youtube.com/shorts/qo_mYNp_Pqo

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:29:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I have SN 4, but I’ve never seen a newer one to compare it to. Mines always ran great, but I haven’t shot it in a long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top