Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2023 8:08:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc]
Is anyone aware of a place to buy a barrel shroud for a mk760/s&w76? I want to find one that I can cut down, along with a barrel to shorten and thread, in an effort to make a suppressed upper that isn't overly long. I have seen the one on Gunbroker but am hoping to get one for less than $300. Of course if someone knows of a place to buy a shortened barrel and shroud that is ready to go, I'd be interested in that too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:11:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marcus99] [#1]
If you get a definitive answer to this I’d like to hear it. My S&W76 came with an aftermarket short barrel and shroud. I never determined who made them but I suspect they are from the 1980’s based on the outdated thread pitch on the barrel. John Andrewski cut down an extra aftermarket barrel and threaded it to 1/2x28 for me so I could use the shroud. It runs wonderfully and is a lot more compact than before (2nd photo) when I was running the stock shroud with an aftermarket standard length barrel threaded to 1/2x28.

Link Posted: 11/2/2023 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly the only way I have multiples is that I made them. Perhaps you know a hobby machinist near you? They're not that hard to make.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have one and can't vouch for this site, but was recently considering buying a mk760 and was looking into new barrels and shrouds to suppress one and ran into this guy's site.

http://www.samachine.com/sw76.html

It would appear he van provide a shortened threaded barrel and shroud for you. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
That’s Scott Andrey’s site. He did my barrel and shroud years ago. I’m pretty sure he is not in business any more.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 9:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Marcus99:
If you get a definitive answer to this I’d like to hear it. My S&W76 came with an aftermarket short barrel and shroud. I never determined who made them but I suspect they are from the 1980’s based on the outdated thread pitch on the barrel. John Andrewski cut down an extra aftermarket barrel and threaded it to 1/2x28 for me so I could use the shroud. It runs wonderfully and is a lot more compact than before (2nd photo) when I was running the stock shroud with an aftermarket standard length barrel threaded to 1/2x28.

https://i.imgur.com/Gejxr47.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LIiLe43.jpg
View Quote

That is basically what I want. How long is the barrel? I've heard people say round the 5.5" mark is ideal.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 9:49:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#6]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:
Honestly the only way I have multiples is that I made them. Perhaps you know a hobby machinist near you? They're not that hard to make.
View Quote

I have a gunsmith that will make one if I provide a barrel shroud and a barrel. He will cut down the barrel and the shroud. I don't think he is up to anything more involved than that though. The problem is, these shrouds are not easy to find (for a reasonable cost). Did you build yours from an existing shroud and long(er) barrel or did you make it all from scratch? I've seen people (several years back) selling the barrel nut without the shroud. I think if I were to get one of these, I could just have someone weld a solid piece of pipe to it in please of the stock shroud with holes in it. I think that would probably look good (like an integrally suppressed model).
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By hollowhandle:
That’s Scott Andrey’s site. He did my barrel and shroud years ago. I’m pretty sure he is not in business any more.
View Quote

Confirmed. Unfortunately Scott Andrey is not in business. I've tried contacting him many ways over the past couple years with no luck.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 9:53:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#8]
I think at this point I can confidently say that nobody is making the shortened shroud and threaded barrel that I am looking for. I find it odd because the integrally suppressed setups are pretty expensive and adding an 8.9" or so threaded barrel and using the existing shroud results in a unbalanced and abnormally long package with the suppressor. I would like to add an Omega 9k to the end of say a 5.5" barrel which I think would look and feel pretty good. The barrel length is an estimate as I don't know how short I can go.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rssc:

I have a gunsmith that will make one if I provide a barrel shroud and a barrel. He will cut down the barrel and the shroud. I don't think he is up to anything more involved than that though. The problem is, these shrouds are not easy to find (for a reasonable cost). Did you build yours from an existing shroud and long(er) barrel or did you make it all from scratch? I've seen people (several years back) selling the barrel nut without the shroud. I think if I were to get one of these, I could just have someone weld a solid piece of pipe to it in please of the stock shroud with holes in it. I think that would probably look good (like an integrally suppressed model).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Barrel blank and steel stock is what I started with. It's an extremely easy machining job as far as gunsmithing goes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 11:01:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#10]

Barrel blank and steel stock is what I started with. It's an extremely easy machining job as far as gunsmithing goes.
View Quote

Thank you for the information. That is good to know. I think this would be the easiest way to deal with the barrel. It would only need to be shortened.

GM MK760 Barrel
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 2:11:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marcus99] [#11]

That is basically what I want. How long is the barrel? I've heard people say round the 5.5" mark is ideal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/Gejxr47.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LIiLe43.jpg

I can dig it out of the safe and measure it for you sometime soon, but yea, I’d estimate it’s anywhere between 5 to 6”. It’s a lot more maneuverable than my prior setup with the stock shroud and an extended barrel, and not any louder to my unmeasured ear. That setup ran well enough but was long and cumbersome.

Assuming the thread pitch is the same I’d keep an eye out for an aftermarket shroud on GB or ebay, along with posting a WTB on the usual sites, and then have that cut down to an appropriate length along with an aftermarket barrel.

Link Posted: 11/7/2023 2:55:38 AM EDT
[#12]
It's a blowback 9mm, so I'd imagine that it would still function just fine with a really short barrel, such as 3 inches. At worst, you might need a somewhat weaker recoil spring, but I doubt that would be necessary unless you go shorter than 2 inches for the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is one if you want to buy it and have it shortened. Code MINI takes off 10 percent.
KAK 76 Barrel
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 11/8/2023 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By hollowhandle:
Here is one if you want to buy it and have it shortened. Code MINI takes off 10 percent.
KAK 76 Barrel
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 11:36:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#16]

Thank you very much! Those pictures really help. I am not a machinist but that shroud does not look like it would be too hard to make. I thought there would be a barrel nut, captive springs, etc. It doesn't look that way. It just looks like a tube with threads...
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Thank you very much! Those pictures really help. I am not a machinist but that shroud does not look like it would be too hard to make. I thought there would be a barrel nut, captive springs, etc. It doesn't look that way. It just looks like a tube with threads...
View Quote

It’s a little more complicated than that but not by much. Besides the ports, checkering (which is so minimal as to be almost non-existant) and threads there is also the notches on the underside of the shroud to engage the shroud retaining latch.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#18]

It’s a little more complicated than that but not by much. Besides the ports, checkering (which is so minimal as to be almost non-existant) and threads there is also the notches on the underside of the shroud to engage the shroud retaining latch.
View Quote

OK thank you very much for the additional detail. It is very helpful! It seems like this could be made relatively easily.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#19]
M60JOE from subguns.com cut down and threaded one for a Swedish K for me many years ago. I'm guessing he is long retired though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#20]
KAK put up some pics of their shroud on reddit today, it looks like their shorter barrels are already in stock on their site

link
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:31:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Banshee35] [#21]
@rssc

KAK industries has the short barrel and correct serrated shroud in stock right now for the 76. This is their first batch of the serrated ones.

Just ordered one myself
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#22]
KAK is the way to go. Reasonably priced and available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top