Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2023 12:28:44 PM EDT
NV and thermal technology is like having a superpower. However, with that said, please be careful. Even with really high-end equipment, the issue may be your anticipation. If you are anticipating or looking for something, your brain tells you that is what the object is. You can't call back a bullet once it is fired. Here is an example from the past that I use to remind myself to be patient and make sure of your target.

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty cool Korey! FWIW - I would NOT have taken the shot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#2]
No shoot

Antipication ?

Anticipation
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent example, I had a friend who made a bad shot on an animal that shouldn't have been killed reference a similar type incident... I wasn't very happy about it either.

Same thing can happen in day hunting, ALWAYS make damn sure of your target.

Years ago, I once shot a Bob Cat while night hunting (legal kill at the time) due to not paying attention. I don't like killing Bob cats anymore, I felt pretty bad for doing so.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:05:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amediocreshooter] [#4]
Great reminder.

A few months ago I was coyote hunting and scanning a clearcut as I was walking to a stand in a dark night. I saw what looked very clearly (NOX35 at like 25 yards) like a coyote's head.

I took the shot, and it ended up being a rabbit. I immediately thought about how dangerous that was. Very unlikely, but what if it was a person? What if it was a protected animal like an eagle or a domestic pet/livestock that had gotten loose?
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Person got shot last winter during a coyote hunting tournament in my area. It was nothing short of a miracle the person survived. Everybody be safe.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:46:04 AM EDT
[#6]
If it glows it goes! But I make sure I have my checkbook when I go hunting..... Might end up with the most expensive steak I'll ever eat....
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:39:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TREETOP] [#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 4:28:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Excellent lesson!

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#9]
If your adrenaline is pumping while you are hunting, you need to get out more.

The deer and coyote don't shoot back.

Bear might be a bit different
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mach:

View Quote
Excitement is probably the better word. If you aren’t excited when hunting, then stay home.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:11:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#11]
Originally Posted By KoreyKirsch:
Excitement is probably the better word. If you aren’t excited when hunting, then stay home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KoreyKirsch:
Originally Posted By Mach:

Excited?

I can't even stay awake, even when I hear or see one coming.

I don't even get excited. I just get focused when I pick up my bow, and no I am not staying home.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:16:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FG24U] [#12]
Thanks for posting.

Never a problem with excitement before *knocks on wood*. Uncontrollable adrenaline shakes after the shot, though. Never experienced it with anything besides hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top