Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2022 5:12:37 PM EDT
I have a stock 14" shockwave, bought many years ago when they first came out as a "firearm". Well its completely useless as is, I never shoot it. I would like to make it more fun (for me), im sure it will be just as useless, its a shotgun afterall. Has anyone filed form 1 for an AOW and chop the barrel on these to 6.5" ala Serbu Super shorty?. The chop would be easy, and the barrel lug would have to be rewelded further down, a foregrip fabricated, I think it would be a fun project. I have some time behind a factory serbu and they are fun as hell. The other option is to SBS it and put a stock on. If I go the 6.5" route I would rather AOW to avoid a form 20 If traveling across state lines. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
How many rounds will it hold after the chop? Will it be a 2 or 3 round weapon?
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dntama:
How many rounds will it hold after the chop? Will it be a 2 or 3 round weapon?
View Quote

2+1 just like the Serbu. 6.5" or so barrel.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Load up some mini-shells, go shoot it as is first.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Load up some mini-shells, go shoot it as is first.
View Quote

I have shot it, actually took it clay shooting a couple times, it gets a laugh. I meant that I dont enjoy shooting it as is
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If you understand the amount of work needed for the conversion to 6.5" and are ok with it that's probably what I would do. The SBS obviously is far easier to do. As you know the cost is the same and you could always to the SBS and turn it into a super shorty later although it would not be able to cross state lines without approval as you mentioned.

I've seen numerous people mention making their own super shorty but I am not sure I've ever seen anyone actually do it. You sound like you know what it takes but a lot of people seem to underestimate the amount of work that went into them. That's why I was happy I found a factory Safety Harbor gun for a good price.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
If you understand the amount of work needed for the conversion to 6.5" and are ok with it that's probably what I would do. The SBS obviously is far easier to do. As you know the cost is the same and you could always to the SBS and turn it into a super shorty later although it would not be able to cross state lines without approval as you mentioned.

I've seen numerous people mention making their own super shorty but I am not sure I've ever seen anyone actually do it. You sound like you know what it takes but a lot of people seem to underestimate the amount of work that went into them. That's why I was happy I found a factory Safety Harbor gun for a good price.
View Quote

I took it completely down today and seems like the hardest part would be rewelding the mounting ring back onto the barrel, and fashioning a foldable forward grip on the slide, the serbu ones use some type of SKS bayonet like spring loaded collar for keeping the forward grip in its folded or extended positions. I can weld and am willing to learn to re-parkerize, I think it would be a fun project. If I dont do anything with this shotgun it will just sit in the back of the safe unused and I might as well get rid of it at that point.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]
SBS it with a folding stock knuckle.
Put an OPSol miniclip for short shells, and lots of 'em.

Get a SSS type later if you don't like the length.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:19:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Donner_und_Blitzen] [#8]

View Quote

I built my own Super shorty 870. I started with a old Wingmaster i had. The hardest part is moving the barrel support ring.
For the fore end i cut down one from a TB Trap 870.
Made a custom sling mount and magazine cap.
Over all length is 17-1/2 inches.

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember that gun it looks good.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#10]
The best way i have found to shoot it is just like a big bore revolver.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:17:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kaptainkoolz] [#11]
Originally Posted By Donner_und_Blitzen:

I built my own Super shorty 870. I started with a old Wingmaster i had. The hardest part is moving the barrel support ring.
For the fore end i cut down one from a TB Trap 870.
Made a custom sling mount and magazine cap.
Over all length is 17-1/2 inches.

View Quote

That looks really clean. How did you cut away the barrel support ring? Did you reweld with tig? Any warping issues?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Kaptainkoolz:

That looks really clean. How did you cut away the barrel support ring? Did you reweld with tig? Any warping issues?
View Quote

Heated it with a oxyacetylene torch to melt the silver solder and remove the ring. The ring had to be reshaped to fit the larger diameter of the barrel when you move it to the rear. I used sheet silver solder and paste flux to re-silver it in place.  A lathe was used to cut the magazine tube and rethread it with a standard Remington 870 square thread. I made the magazine cap so i could get the fore end tube as short as possible and still be able to fit a fore end on. No warpage. My goal was to get the oal shorter than the legal barrel length of 18 inches. The magazine holds two 2-3/4 shell and one in the chamber.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#13]
You might as well form 1 it as an SBS, it gives you more options in the long run, and it will cost the same $200 either way.  AOW is only cheap if you are buying it that way from a dealer.

Call Mossberg and see if they will sell you the parts as they make an AOW in a couple different sizes.  Someone on here bought the kit off of GB.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By shortround:
You might as well form 1 it as an SBS, it gives you more options in the long run, and it will cost the same $200 either way.  AOW is only cheap if you are buying it that way from a dealer.

Call Mossberg and see if they will sell you the parts as they make an AOW in a couple different sizes.  Someone on here bought the kit off of GB.
View Quote

Depends on the size of your state and how much you travel.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm definately going with an AOW, once the barrel is chopped I wont ever put a stock on it. Likely wont travel much with it as its a terrible defensive option but I think the $5 transfer will help with resale. Unfortunately I am right in the middle of a move and wont be able to start this project until I'm in my next place. Will likely file my form one before then though. Thanks for everyone's help ill update the thread when I start working on it!
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Kaptainkoolz:
I'm definately going with an AOW, once the barrel is chopped I wont ever put a stock on it. Likely wont travel much with it as its a terrible defensive option but I think the $5 transfer will help with resale. Unfortunately I am right in the middle of a move and wont be able to start this project until I'm in my next place. Will likely file my form one before then though. Thanks for everyone's help ill update the thread when I start working on it!
View Quote

Sure it'll be a $5 transfer?
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Yes, if I decide to sell. I understand manufacturing an AOW costs $200.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Have AOW’s gone up? Bryce been $5 forever.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

I knew factory AOW's were on a $5 stamp, but knew if I made one it was $200.  Didn't know what the transfer from me was.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#20]
going shorter than the mag tube is standard either requires:
you know a lot about machining
you pay a lot to send it to someone who knows about machining.

I wanted to do my SBS 870 like a serbu, but the cost was going to be something like $1k to have it done right. Not worth it to me unfortunately, and MCS parts are also crazy expensive to go that route.
I'd be better off forgetting it, or paying $200 and cutting my SxS down to 6". Same ammo capacity anyway
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
going shorter than the mag tube is standard either requires:

I wanted to do my SBS 870 like a serbu, but the cost was going to be something like $1k to have it done right. Not worth it to me unfortunately, and MCS parts are also crazy expensive to go that route.
I'd be better off forgetting it, or paying $200 and cutting my SxS down to 6". Same ammo capacity anyway
View Quote

Not true you’re forgetting the +1
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

It’s 50% more ammo. But both 2 and 3 round down to zero.

Especially considering I can fit 30 rounds in a rattler that’s the same weight and size as a serbu
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Its not really about the practicality of the platform or convenience of bolting on parts, its about the challenge of building something myself.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:  going shorter than the mag tube is standard either requires:

With a 2 round magazine in a pump, that reloads 1 round at a time, at what round count does a double bbl shotgun that reloads two at a time pull ahead in total round count over time, firing continuously?  I think the little mini-mag shells are made for the Shockwave & its ilk.  I'd like to see a 12 ga cruiser w/ the Pachmayr or Knoxx grip, set up for mini-shells, that's 26", so a longer mag than the Shockwave, but shorter than 18" bbl.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#25]
You can single load a pump pretty fast although I don't think I've seen anyone do it on a pistol grip only gun. The cowboys have it down. These guns are kinda awkward so I don't think many people do fast reloads. If I ever found myself with it in the real world the plan would be to drop it unless it's all I had. Hopefully my 20ga clears soon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#26]

With a 2 round magazine in a pump, that reloads 1 round at a time, at what round count does a double bbl shotgun that reloads two at a time pull ahead in total round count over time, firing continuously?  I think the little mini-mag shells are made for the Shockwave & its ilk.  I'd like to see a 12 ga cruiser w/ the Pachmayr or Knoxx grip, set up for mini-shells, that's 26", so a longer mag than the Shockwave, but shorter than 18" bbl.
View Quote

I don't see a 6" shotgun as a high round count gun. If you don't have it done in 2/3 it's time to switch to something else. At least that's my philosophy on the matter.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#27]

I don't see a 6" shotgun as a high round count gun. If you don't have it done in 2/3 it's time to switch to something else. At least that's my philosophy on the matter.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  With a 2 round magazine in a pump, that reloads 1 round at a time, at what round count does a double bbl shotgun that reloads two at a time pull ahead in total round count over time, firing continuously?  I think the little mini-mag shells are made for the Shockwave & its ilk.  I'd like to see a 12 ga cruiser w/ the Pachmayr or Knoxx grip, set up for mini-shells, that's 26", so a longer mag than the Shockwave, but shorter than 18" bbl.

You've never played DOOM before.  

I have a similar question about detachable mag shotguns in bird hunting.  The tubular mag is plugged to 2 shots; the detachable magazine is plugged to 3, but you can't load a mag on a closed bolt.  I think the detachable magazine shotgun outruns the tubular mag gun pretty quickly.

The other alternative is to chop a Chiappa Triple Threat, but I think that becomes an SBS b/c it's "made from a shotgun".
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#28]

You've never played DOOM before.  

View Quote

IDSPISPOPD

I think if you want to go short, you give up capacity. If you want capacity/want easy loading you give up short length.

I had an autoloader (FN something) that I could load 8 rounds in it from a chest rig as fast as many can reload a pistol. it was 4' long.
I thought my SBS 12" would be a travel gun, but honestly it's not. There are smaller things the hold more ammo, and are easier to carry. So really my SBS turned into an "expensive" wall hanger for my shop here in the suburbs. I'm still going to cut down my SxS one of these days, but the best functional tool these are not. I think it falls into the "because I wanted to" level of expenditure
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 4:59:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dntama] [#29]
No matter if you go 18 inches or SBS if you are using for defense you should always be reloading. A 2+1 pump is too low for me. Great to play with but I would rather have a pistol with 17 rds.

I am curious as the buckshot pattern you will get at 5 and 10 yds.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By :
No matter if you go 18 inches or SBS if you are using for defense you should always be reloading. A 2+1 pump is too low for me. Great to play with but I would rather have a pistol with 17 rds.

I am curious as the buckshot pattern you will get at 5 and 10 yds.
View Quote

Disagree
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 1:06:01 AM EDT
[#31]

That’s not a pump.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#32]

That’s not a pump.
View All Quotes

That’s not a pump.

This is a pump:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

that's not an SBS
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By:

That’s not a pump.
View Quote

that's not an SBS
View Quote

Oh there are rules now?

Some people are never happy
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Oh there are rules now?

Some people are never happy
View Quote

I was once drinking good wine and in an exotic 3 way. That was a pretty decent day. It's been 15 years and all down hill since then
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#36]

that's not an SBS
View All Quotes

that's not an SBS

It may be worth me dropping a stamp on, & shortening up & shimming the pump grip tube so I can drop any 870 bbl on.  Then I could swap btwn suppressed 12 ga SBS and 18" bbl shotgun by changing bbls, no out of state permission slip needed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:47:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Mossberg sold factory AOWs, only $5 stamp required.  Fell flat in the marketplace and only thing it seemed to accomplish was to knock Safety Harbor and Serbu out of the SBS/AOW business.

No one has mentioned that getting a folding grip may be near impossible these days.  I have a 10" 870 and using a shortened fore end gave me concerns of shooting my hand off.  I fashioned a sling plate stop but every other shot I would jam my thumb into it either working the action or under recoil.

I got a folding grip from Serbu or Safey Harbor, but they haven't had it in the catalog for many years.  I finally got a salvo so I feel safe running a shortened handguard without a stop on it if the can is attached.

EOD, just wish I had gone 12.5", it would have been a lot less hassle getting it together.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#38]
The new Mossberg AOW’s were almost never in stock. With niche stuff like that I think they should get with one or two dealers and funnel the majority of guns to them. I think I only ever saw them in stock twice when I was ready to buy. Luckily I’ve found a couple Safety Harbor’s to scratch the itch.

If these companies would ever sell guns without stocks and barrels more people would form 1 them into AOW’s and SBS’s
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#39]
The new Mossberg AOW’s were almost never in stock. With niche stuff like that I think they should get with one or two dealers and funnel the majority of guns to them. I think I only ever saw them in stock twice when I was ready to buy. Luckily I’ve found a couple Safety Harbor’s to scratch the itch.

If these companies would ever sell guns without stocks and barrels more people would form 1 them into AOW’s and SBS’s
View Quote

yeah I would have bought one if I could find it. The price was closer to a serbu back before things went crazy. I wish there were more AOW options, including side by sides...
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Factory Stoeger SxS AOW’s would be awesome. Mossberg could have done it in house but that’s an even smaller market than the pump guns I’d guess.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#41]

yeah I would have bought one if I could find it. The price was closer to a serbu back before things went crazy. I wish there were more AOW options, including side by sides...
View Quote

huh my LGS had a pair on the wall forever for around 900 bucks.  And this was in NFA friendly lots of cash to spend nice part of Phoenix Metro.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Quake_Guy:

huh my LGS had a pair on the wall forever for around 900 bucks.  And this was in NFA friendly lots of cash to spend nice part of Phoenix Metro.
View Quote

Yeah, mossberg are $400 guns, $200 used. Can’t stomach more than 2x cause it’s slightly shorter.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah I’m not paying Serbu/Safety Harbor money for a Mossberg. I think I saw a couple sell around $600 which is much more reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Very interested in this thread. I have an older 870 that's already SBS'd with a 12" barrel, thought about turning it into a 6-7" super shorty/breacher as discussed here but don't have the tools to do it.

It would be nice if you could find serbu shorty kits or older MCS type kits for your SBS.

I think I'll end up calling around to local gunsmiths and see if they think it's possible/what the cost would be.

If anyone is in the Denver, CO area and has a lead on something like this I'd appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Does the super Bantam 510 20 ga Mossy share the mag tube w/ the 20 ga Shockwave?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Does the super Bantam 510 20 ga Mossy share the mag tube w/ the 20 ga Shockwave?
View Quote

Shockwave says 5+1 510 mini says 3+1 so I'd guess not unless they are doing some kind of internal blockage.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Shockwave says 5+1 510 mini says 3+1 so I'd guess not unless they are doing some kind of internal blockage.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Does the super Bantam 510 20 ga Mossy share the mag tube w/ the 20 ga Shockwave?

That might be a route to a 20 ga AOW, only have to chop the Mini-Bantam bbl, put the Mini's chopped bbl, mag tube, and forend on a 20 ga Shockwave after getting the AOW stamp back.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By prebans:

@alaskanfire

The F1 making tax is always $200.00.  But the F4 transfer tax is $5.00.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By prebans:

@alaskanfire

The F1 making tax is always $200.00.  But the F4 transfer tax is $5.00.

Did you see the post immediately prior? We are talking about transfers and OP said he was aware making an AOW costs $200
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Mine is fun
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top