Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2024 12:49:50 PM EDT
Anyone with an M3 tell me what you like, what you don't like, etc?  Thinking about getting another M4, but I am pretty intrigued by the M3 too.  Is the capability to swap between pump and semi cool, or mostly a gimmick?  How is the action on them?  Is it smooth or kind of rough (in pump mode)?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:26:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OriginalUserName] [#1]
I bought a M3 back in the last 90's. My biggest gripe is the stock length is too long. There isn't much aftermarket for the M3 (that I know of at least) so I am kinda stuck with it being less weldy than other options. The pump mode is largely gimmicky, unless you are rotating to a very low recoil/less lethal kinda of round. Mine does not cycle low brass or anything under 1300 FPS in auto so the pump mode does at least allow me options. The pump mode is not overly smooth and is very clunky feeling. I don't think I'd recommend a M3 unless a) just want one, or b) have a use-case fitting what the M3 offers.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:43:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#2]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
Anyone with an M3 tell me what you like, what you don't like, etc?
View Quote
I don't like that they never offered M3 Entry barrels in the US.

14" is always better.

Is the capability to swap between pump and semi cool, or mostly a gimmick?
View Quote
It's mostly a gimmick.

Think about it... if you wanted to manually rack a Benelli M1, you could just reach underneath the receiver with your support thumb and cycle the op handle, and that's just as fast.

How is the action on them?  Is it smooth or kind of rough (in pump mode)?
View Quote
It's kind of rough because there's more friction there than something like an 870 or a 590, but it's way smoother than a SPAS-12 (which has even more friction).

Overall I like the M1/M2 better because the recoil spring situation is just inferior on the M3. The recoil spring config in the M1/M2 allows them to cycle lighter loads than an M3 can.

Having the recoil spring around the mag tube also leaves it more vulnerable to excess friction from fouling, foreign debris, etc.

I swapped out for a SureCycle on my M1 and it's awesome. They don't offer that for the M3.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got an M3.

It's kinda gimmicky, but a whole lot better than the SPAS ever was.

The Spas had the action release mode on a button midway along the bottom of the handguard.

Push and presto, mine always jammed if I did it while loaded.

The M3 has a lever in front of the handguard and is super smooth. I've not ever had a problem with transition.

I have the M1,2,3 and a TurkM4. I understand there's a newer M3 version that the Australians adopted.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone with an M3 tell me what you like, what you don't like, etc?  Thinking about getting another M4, but I am pretty intrigued by the M3 too.  Is the capability to swap between pump and semi cool, or mostly a gimmick?  How is the action on them?  Is it smooth or kind of rough (in pump mode)?
View Quote

I loved the M3, used to have one.  Regardless of what the cool people will tell you, the pump feature is VERY useful on a recoil operated shotgun like the M3.  Once you put more weight, a side saddle etc, on the M1 / M3 you will have cycling issues with some rounds.  Low recoil buck, regular birdshot, etc.  The pump feature on the M3 is quick and easy to switch to, and the pump action works like a dream.  You pull the forend back, and it auto assists forward on its own to cycle the shell.  Really helps speed up the action!

The semi auto function has no issues cycling full power buck / slugs / heavy birdshot.  It fires fast, had a bit of kick to it.  My biggest issues with it were the length of pull, and lack of choke feature.  The prong ended shell lifter was a PITA and would always pinch me when loading the gun.  I've seen people who welded the lifter end together just to avoid being pinched by it constantly.  Also, furniture is fairly proprietary so can't mount a MLOK forend or anything of that nature for light attachments, etc.  If you want a stock gun to run great, it excels for that.  Unfortunately has been overshadowed by the M4 which runs reliably on semi with pretty much any load, and has more aftermarket options.  The M3 is still available for sale, for cheaper than the M4!
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:39:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#5]
Had an M3 about 12 years ago. It’s a Gimmick IMO. Jack of all trades, master of none. The idea originally I believe was that an LE Agency could use just the one gun to fire both lethal and less lethal rounds since most less lethal rounds do not cycle in a semi auto. The action on the M3 isn’t very smooth like you find on the 870 either so it makes using the M3 as a dedicated pump action shotgun kind of a pain. Modern defensive ammo and even target ammo for that matter is consistent enough that it runs in most semi auto shotguns reliably. So unless you plan on using it to launch less lethal ammo, there really isn’t a reason to own one. Even if you did plan on having a less lethal shotgun, I don’t think I would want a gun that cycled manually as an afterthought, I’d just pick up an 870 or 590 and call it a day, especially at $1,600. The gas system in the M4 is proven at this point and costs about the same as the M3. The M3 really doesn’t have a reason to exist outside of a very specific niche.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MK318:
Had an M3 about 12 years ago. It’s a Gimmick IMO. Jack of all trades, master of none. The idea originally I believe was that an LE Agency could use just the one gun to fire both lethal and less lethal rounds since most less lethal rounds do not cycle in a semi auto. The action on the M3 isn’t very smooth like you find on the 870 either so it makes using the M3 as a dedicated pump action shotgun kind of a pain. Modern defensive ammo and even target ammo for that matter is consistent enough that it runs in most semi auto shotguns reliably. So unless you plan on using it to launch less lethal ammo, there really isn’t a reason to own one. Even if you did plan on having a less lethal shotgun, I don’t think I would want a gun that cycled manually as an afterthought, I’d just pick up an 870 or 590 and call it a day, especially at $1,600. The gas system in the M4 is proven at this point and costs about the same as the M3. The M3 really doesn’t have a reason to exist outside of a very specific niche.
View Quote

Have you actually used one?  The pump action AUTO ASSISTS up after pulling it back if it loads a shell.  Makes it twice as easy and fast to work the pump than an 870.  If you think that is "a pain" I'd hate to see you cycle the action on a normal pump where you have to physically move the forend back and then forward!

And for a shotgun (which is kind of a jack of all trades kind of gun anyway) I want a jack of all trades gun, not something so entirely specialized that it only excels at one specific niche purpose, like door breaching, etc.  

For instance, an AR is a better general purpose rifle because it is very good at a lot of things you need a rifle for (a jack of all trades) vs say a heavy bench rest bolt action rifle which is only really good for long range precision shots (master of one).
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Blain:

Have you actually used one?  The pump action AUTO ASSISTS up after pulling it back if it loads a shell.  Makes it twice as easy and fast to work the pump than an 870.  If you think that is "a pain" I'd hate to see you cycle the action on a normal pump where you have to physically move the forend back and then forward!

And for a shotgun (which is kind of a jack of all trades kind of gun anyway) I want a jack of all trades gun, not something so entirely specialized that it only excels at one specific niche purpose, like door breaching, etc.  

For instance, an AR is a better general purpose rifle because it is very good at a lot of things you need a rifle for (a jack of all trades) vs say a heavy bench rest bolt action rifle which is only really good for long range precision shots (master of one).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You’re right, that is why the M3 out sells all the other shotguns on the market, right? Clearly your opinion is the only one that matters and is correct.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:41:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#8]

You’re right, that is why the M3 out sells all the other shotguns on the market, right? Clearly your opinion is the only one that matters and is correct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What do sales figures and popularity have to do with the merits of a product?  Are you someone who just blindly goes with what's popular at the moment?  I seem to recall you saying something similar about 357 sig. Trying to dismiss it because it wasn't popular.

Your namesake round isn't popular.  It sucks then?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Your gun budget must be really high to chase whatever the cool kids are buying today.  'Cause that's best, right?

The M3 is a great shotgun.  Length of pull is a pain, but a collapsible stock fixes that.  There are a couple of ways to get MLOK on the front:  a Toni System railed clamp with a MLOK adapter, which is kinda clunky, or a GGG MLOK barrel clamp.  The one for the M590 fits pretty good.

I carry a 7-shell card on the side of the gun, a M300V light, and a RMR, and it shoots high brass just fine.  I haven't found a light load that it doesn't cycle, but I don't shoot many light loads.  Turkey, pig, coyote and deer all get heavy loads, as does the range.

Any crap about the recoil spring system being inferior is just that...crap.  Nice LARPer theoretical that never happens in real life.  

I've owned all the major pump brands, the M1, M2, and M4, the Berettas, Saiga, VEPR, and an Origin SBS that I really wanted to like.  

I like the M3 best out of all of them.  The inertia system works great, and I have the assisted pump mode if I want it.  The lock time is faster than a M4, and the M3 runs waaaay cleaner.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve shot both. I own a m1 field with 21” vent rib barrel, dovetail cut for flip up rear sight and Nordic tube. Holds 10 rounds of fun and excitement. Does not care if it’s birdshot or buckshot, it cycles.
It’s still a shotgun but it’s better than a sharp stick.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:01:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#11]
Originally Posted By VaregoSix:

Your gun budget must be really high to chase whatever the cool kids are buying today.  'Cause that's best, right?
View Quote

As a matter a fact it is.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Irony is, you criticized me for owning an M3, M4, and others while at the same time rattling off all the pump guns you’ve owned. Maybe I just like shotguns and nobody is chasing perfection. The M3 never caught on because it was a solution for a problem that didn’t exist and the M2 and M4 were just better guns. It’s 2024, pump guns are a relic of a bi-gone era. My 1301s reliably cycle even cheap bulk Win AA loads. No need for a pump action or an inertia driven shotgun moonlighting as a pump gun over here.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:33:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Turkish clone M3

Runs like a champ and everyone wants to shoot it after seeing its party trick.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GTwannabe:
I have a Turkish clone M3

Runs like a champ and everyone wants to shoot it after seeing its party trick.
View Quote

Interesting. I had no idea anyone was making a clone of the M3.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:
Interesting. I had no idea anyone was making a clone of the M3.
View Quote
They were.
I think it was discontinued due to lack of sales.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:04:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Well I put an M3 on order.  Was very close to getting another M4, but the M3 I could get and add the telescoping stock and extended mag tube and still be in it for less than an M4.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Excellent!!!  Looking forward to a range comparison report of the M3 vs the M4 once you get it in.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:53:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#17]
Any updates on the M3 @Zeebz ?

@VaregoSix how did you find the semi auction function of the M3 compared to the M4?  Was the M4 able to cycle lighter loads more reliably?  I'm sure if anything the M4 kicks less.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#18]
So I ended up getting a great deal on a Winchester 101 over/under for trap, which, unfortunately, cut into my M3 funds.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#19]
So I ended up getting a great deal on a Winchester 101 over/under for trap, which, unfortunately, cut into my M3 funds.
View Quote

You didn't have to put money down to put it on order?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#20]

You didn't have to put money down to put it on order?
View Quote

I did, but I did it at KyGunCo and they let you swap items on layaway for free.  The Winchester popped up on there and I swapped it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#21]
@VaregoSix how did you find the semi auction function of the M3 compared to the M4?  Was the M4 able to cycle lighter loads more reliably?  I'm sure if anything the M4 kicks less.
View Quote

The M3 does recoil a bit more than the M4, but not uncomfortably so.  The M3 is still very controllable.

I don't shoot a lot of light loads, I think using light loads for a SD/hunting gun for "practice" is a stupid waste of money but YMMV.  The few I have shot were high brass and worked fine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#22]
@Blain

Switched back to the M3 since after doing research I realized the Winchester wasn't great for the purposes I wanted (trap).  I'll be getting the M3 in the next couple weeks.

Since it's inertia operated in semi-auto mode how much stuff can I put on it before the inertia system gets affected.  I plan on doing an RMR, light, extended mag tube, and C-stock.  I'd like a shell carrier, too, but again I don't know at one point you start affecting the reliability.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By VaregoSix:
I don't shoot a lot of light loads, I think using light loads for a SD/hunting gun for "practice" is a stupid waste of money but YMMV.  The few I have shot were high brass and worked fine.
View Quote

I can't speak to the M3, but my M4 was basically a dedicated slug launcher.  I loved that thing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:27:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#24]
@Blain

Switched back to the M3 since after doing research I realized the Winchester wasn't great for the purposes I wanted (trap).  I'll be getting the M3 in the next couple weeks.

Since it's inertia operated in semi-auto mode how much stuff can I put on it before the inertia system gets affected.  I plan on doing an RMR, light, extended mag tube, and C-stock.  I'd like a shell carrier, too, but again I don't know at one point you start affecting the reliability.
View Quote

It depends on what you're wanting to shoot.  For buck and slugs, you should be fine.  Maybe low recoil buck might give you a problem.  I had an M3 ~15 years ago and seem to I recall it having issues cycling some weak trap loads with a fully loaded side saddle and extended mag tube that my M2 now doesn't have trouble cycling.  It's been so long that I can't 100% remember the details, but I believe stripping the esstac card off solved the issue.  Of course, with the M3, you can always switch to pump mode in two seconds and then run anything anyway (which is the whole point).  No semi auto, gas or intertia, will run EVERY load out there (of course some do better than others) but the M3 can since it can go to pump mode.  

Another point, I am not someone who keeps a flashlight attached 100% of the time to a shotgun, so during the day I wouldn't be running it with a light anyway.  I swap it on when / if needed and for those types of applications I'd be using full house loads.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

You'll have to experiment with your gun to find the point where it is affected by weight.

Your description is my exact M3 configuration, and mine has no problems with buck, slugs, and turkey loads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top