Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2024 12:14:43 PM EDT
Team, need some advice to those that know.  Recently picked up an SP5 and just bought and mounted a Surefire handgaurd with the integrated flashlight (damn it was pricey).  I have my eyes on a Dead Air Wolfman, but I dont think there is enough clearance to mount it, with the flashlight being so close to the barrel.  Does anyone have this configuration, or know of a solution?  Is there a slimmer suppressor that will work better than the Wolfman?  Thanks Team.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm playing with different setups now.

Long story short - there are limited good options if you want a QD suppressor. You need a suppressor compatible with the Gemtech 3-lug mount (not sure if Dead Air is), as that's the narrowest currently produced mount on the market. That mount WILL fit with the factory Surefire 328LMF (or the 3v drop-in head added), but the light housing will press against the mount and will exert downward pressure on the (relatively fragile) pin holes on the handguard. The Surefire LM1B has a 1.16" OD head.

You can also buy a Malkoff drop-in head, as those are 1.03" in OD, but you still need the Gemtech 3-lug mount. The Malkoff drop-in head is the cheapest and easiest option, but again - you need the Gemtech mount if you want to use QD.

You can ALSO direct thread the Wolfman against the threaded SP5 barrel and use the 3V head, which is probably the easiest.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Surefire discontinued the A17 adapter. I run a LED head with my setup. Touches but I don't shoot it much so no issues so far. Head is the short Malkoff head.
Looking at finding a Steiner cheap for more clearance.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#3]
One of these flashlights??

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
SP5 didn't click when I read it.

MP5 clone. I'll see myself out....

But first...

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
You don’t suppress it… either pick the 90’s SWAT vibe or the suppressor.

If you need a light and suppressor, get a railed handguard.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
You can use a piston and a fixed piston adapter and thread on some cans.  That’s what I do for my surefire equipped sp5.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:16:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aod886] [#7]
Someone made a weird offset light that would allow suppressors to be installed. Super rare. I've never seen one in the wild.

Images taken from the web, obviously...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link to article/more pictures

If it were me, and I wanted both. I'd go with a new railed/slotted handguard.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aod886:
Someone made a weird offset light that would allow suppressors to be installed. Super rare. I've never seen one in the wild.

Images taken from the web, obviously...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249712/IMG_E0845_jpg-3160137.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249712/IMG_0859_jpg-3160138.JPG

Link to article/more pictures

If it were me, and I wanted both. I'd go with a new railed/slotted handguard.
View Quote

That is the A17 that Surefire discontinued.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JohnGA:

That is the A17 that Surefire discontinued.
View Quote

I suppose I should have known that. Being that they made the handguard.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I would think someone would make an aftermarket version of the adaptor. I’m sure they would sell.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I owned the A17 and sold it.  It wouldn’t work with the upgraded head and you still couldn’t use a 3 lug on it without it touching. The closest I could get is the old sico 3 lug.  There might be one out there that fits, but most all the new cans will still have to be threaded on.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Steiner/Laser Devices LDITL that have had for years. It allows the mounting of any suppressor I own. The down side is, they aren’t manufactured anymore and when they come up for sale they fetch a premium.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:46:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I too have a vintage LDITL from Laser Devices before the company was purchased by Steiner.  It's the simplest one with a single pressure pad.  A very good clone of this that offers on/off switches is the Gibbous Outfitters "MP5 Light Bearing Handguard" for a $200 entry price point:

https://gibbousoutfitters.com/products/mp5-light-bearing-handguard

For SureFires, they're not rugged as they soon crack at the crosspin eyelet as you can see in pics above and in photos of most outfits trying to sell surplused ones. The offset adapter they've discontinued is no help because it has a big ring collar that makes a potential suppressor fit even more unlikely.  I'm not really quite sure why that part was produced.

The option most people take is choosing a big uncomfortable LEGO rail with all kinds of heavy cluttery modules on it, starting with a light and cabled pressure switch.  They begin to add more gizmos to the rail like vertical grips and laser emitters and a modular red dot sight stalk along with whatever suppressor they chose, then all of a sudden they have another three pounds of gear way out in front on their MP5 that all told costs $2200 in accessories alone.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:05:44 AM EDT
[#14]
@CaptShiess

Can you do a side by side with the full size and the K, between the 2 with the B&T folder?

I have an SP5 with the same stock, debating on getting a K-PDW also. Would run same folder, just trying to get a better idea how much more compact it would be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top