Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2024 7:27:34 AM EDT
I’m going to order several different boxes of JHP to see what works in my SP5 any suggestions on what to get or avoid? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Federal 124g HST would not work in mine.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#2]
My SP5 has over 4000 rounds of FMJ through it with no malfunctions. I haven’t tried hollowpoints but I heard they can have issues feeding.

Primarily, I have used Winchester NATO 124gr (burns dirty, don’t recommend), Blazer 115gr, and Fiocchi 115gr (cleanest).
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve used gold dot 124 gr plus p
Federal 124gr hst plus p
Winchester 124 nato
Winchester ranger 124gr nato
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#4]
My clone hates 115g stuff.  Runs flawless on anything 124g nato.  Have not experienced any problems with 124g +p hst.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#5]
My AP5 has eaten everything I've fed it without issue.  Lots of 124gr Norma, some 115gr Federal, 124gr HP reloads, and 115gr Wolf steel case.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]
There doesn't seem to be any magic to this other than what you're doing.  Trying different ammo in your particular gun.  I do try to stick to premium factory ammo (HST, Golden Saber, Gold Dot).  I have gotten 124 gr +P HST's to run in the guns I've tried them in.  And sometimes it's best to have a few hundred rounds of break-in on the gun.  One of my AP's was finicky with HP, but after a few hundred round break-in, the problem went away.

I will also suggest using HK Factory mags.  If you've ever disassembled different manufacturers magazines and compare them to HK Factory, you will see the difference in quality.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried a few different 124gr JHP's in mine.

It didn't like Speer GD and Fed. HST  (several failures to feed each)...it did like Sig V-Crown and Fiochhi.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the suggestions, all of my mags are HK. I’ll just do some trial and error until I find something it like. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:54:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lil_Sig] [#9]
What! I heard that the real deal HKs eat anything. The internet said so.

My AP5-P & AP5 both have fed everything I have tried.

Listed in the order tried

115gr Norma Ball

124gr S&B Ball

150gr Federal HST Hollow Points

147gr Remington Flat Nose

124gr Federal Hydra Shok Hollow Points

They are both Keepers! Oh and they did it all without replacing any parts. Imagine that! Not one single HK part!

ETA: I'm sure you will be fine. They all really do differ. Sometimes there may be a round any one gun may not like.

Let us know how it goes
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lil_Sig:

115gr Norma Ball

124gr S&B Ball

They are both Keepers! Oh and they did it all without replacing any parts. Imagine that! Not one single HK part!

ETA: I'm sure you will be fine. They all really do differ. Sometimes there may be a round any one gun may not like.

Let us know how it goes
View Quote

There was a guy on HKPro who said the same thing.

Probing questions revealed that he only fired ~300 rounds through his MKE and he had friends who worked for Century.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:

Probing questions revealed that he only fired ~300 rounds through his MKE and he had friends who worked for Century.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
Originally Posted By lil_Sig:

115gr Norma Ball

124gr S&B Ball

Let us know how it goes

LoL, please give me a link to that. I frequent HK Pro.

I don't work for Century. Nor do I know who you are talking about. I respect them for being the largest Importer of firearms. That's all they did with these MKE firearms.

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#12]
On a side note , is $2200 a good deal for new sp5?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 8:57:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lil_Sig] [#13]
Originally Posted By Phillbilly:
View Quote

Best I have ever seen!

ETA: I mean If I ever saw that price and I haven't.

Where?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Finally got to go to the range for testing, I’m happy to report my Sp5 ran every type of ammo I tried with all of my mags. All of ammo I tested was within a 2” of my POI at 25yds so I’m quite happy. Was able to hit center MAs from 5yds to 100yds with pretty easy without hold overs so I can’t really ask for anything more.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:59:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankW134] [#15]
147gr Gold Dot G2 (discontinued FBI stuff) works perfect in my SP5/SP5K guns, no issues with 124gr Federal HST on my end either.  All shot with a omega9k if that matters.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone try any of the IMI HP ammo?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Phillbilly:
View Quote

Assuming it does have the paddle mag release, yes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By NukeThemTillTheyGlow:
View Quote

I've tried both IMI Di-Cut 115gr and Ex-Star 115gr in my AP5-P and AP5-M with HK magazines.
Both ran great.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Dakotan:

I've tried both IMI Di-Cut 115gr and Ex-Star 115gr in my AP5-P and AP5-M with HK magazines.
Both ran great.
View All Quotes

Both ran great.
Great thanks.  I was looking to pick up some of the 124g "Black Dot" and was curious if it worked well or caused problems
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#20]
My AP5 has been reliable with:

115 gr Federal, Remington and CCI round nose;

Hand loaded Hornady 115 gr HAP;

Hand loaded Hornady 115gr and 124 gr XTP;

Hand loaded Extreme 124 gr plated round nose;

124 gr Sig V-crown hollow point;

Federal 147 gr round nose;

Powder wise, I’ve used Titegroup, HS-6 and a Unique.  Unique isn’t regarded as being a clean powder, but that’s not really the case with near max loads and fairly high load densities.  In any case I haven’t had any issues in my AP5 suppressed or unsuppressed.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Great thanks.  I was looking to pick up some of the 124g "Black Dot" and was curious if it worked well or caused problems
View All Quotes

Both ran great.

The "black dot" 124gr are +P Di-Cuts, so I would think that they would run just fine.
I've run some 115gr IMI Black Dot FMJ sub-gun ammo through both of my guns with no issues.
In fact, the only issue I've run into with any of the 7 or 8 types of hollow point ammo (from 100 gr to 147gr) I've tried is the last round in the magazine not feeding.  BUT, that was only with the MKE magazines. That issue disappeared completely with HK magazines.
Looking at both magazines side by side you can see a slight difference in the feed lips on the HK magazines.  It's my assumption that that's why HPs run with the current generation of German magazines.
Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#22]
My SP5 eats 124gr and 147gr Federal HSTs with no issues. I haven't tried any other HPs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top