Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2023 7:10:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I did using a post sample RDIAS and glad I did as I tinkered with it for a while and didn't like how gassy it was as well as the super high cyclic rate that you pretty much can't do anything about.
Picture of mine below I sold off the host gun.

Yes mine had bad trigger slap too.  I got the ILWT 4 position gas block but that didn't seem to help either.
I do have a friend that also has a post sample that he is using a ported integral suppressor which he says isn't gassy and took the slap out of the trigger but I haven't tried it myself.  
Still high cyclic rate so I'll pass.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 12:10:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: notso] [#3]
I was able to take enough off the rear of the hammer to get it to catch on the sear with the bridge in place, but it broke the bridge and continues to eat the trips on the DIAS.

I rounded the "top" front corner of the hammer as well to make the bolt not drive it back as hard, but it still eats parts.

I kinda shelved it for a while until I can get a better solution. It may take a custom hammer and sear to catch it without it having to come back that far.

ETA- without the bridge it has bad trigger slap as you noted, but it is also bad enough to break hammer pins. So running without the bridge is not ideal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Hiperfire Hipertouch Auto trigger works great to reduce the slap and slow the bolt down. We've had one in a post sample for 4 years that gets rented in an indoor range regularly. It's been shot enough that we wore out a bolt and have had to replace basically every part in the gun except the trigger itself.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WhiteDingo:
Hiperfire Hipertouch Auto trigger works great to reduce the slap and slow the bolt down. We've had one in a post sample for 4 years that gets rented in an indoor range regularly. It's been shot enough that we wore out a bolt and have had to replace basically every part in the gun except the trigger itself.
View Quote
I like the feel of my Hipertouch Auto. They're about half the cost of a SSF.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 6:56:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#7]
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
I actually like the 900-1000 RPM cyclic rate, I find it very good for short, fast bursts, but I also seem to be the exception to the rule.  

We haven't really had any issues with back gassing, at least in the limited shooting with a suppressor.

The trigger slap is awful, no doubt, and to be honest if I had known the slap was going to be that bad I would not have made it a post sample.

That being said, looking at the tail of the semi hammer, the full auto hammer, the auto sear, and the trigger bridge, I think there is enough room with a little mill and dremel adjustment to each piece to make them all work together and eliminate the trigger slap.  At the very least, it doesn't have slap with the bridge installed and will still shoot semi (no auto) while I puzzle out a solution.

If I find a solution I will be happy to share!

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Thx for this info. By chance are any of the posts in this thread using a folding stock or something without a buffer tube? If not, would this set up work with a bufferless system?
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By notso:
I was able to take enough off the rear of the hammer to get it to catch on the sear with the bridge in place, but it broke the bridge and continues to eat the trips on the DIAS.

I rounded the "top" front corner of the hammer as well to make the bolt not drive it back as hard, but it still eats parts.

I kinda shelved it for a while until I can get a better solution. It may take a custom hammer and sear to catch it without it having to come back that far.

ETA- without the bridge it has bad trigger slap as you noted, but it is also bad enough to break hammer pins. So running without the bridge is not ideal.
View Quote

Any chance of a pic? What metal is your DIAS trip made of? Will hardened 4140 work or become brittle? Thx
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By burntoutbarrel:

Any chance of a pic? What metal is your DIAS trip made of? Will hardened 4140 work or become brittle? Thx
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burntoutbarrel:
Originally Posted By notso:

Yeah, I think I was just using some 1018 or something and was giving it the ole hillbilly heat treat (heat till glowy, quench, move on).
4140 is the correct answer here. Next one I do will probably be prehard 4140
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:24:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#12]
I don't really think of it as a 'lever' as there is no 'leverage' action going on.  It is just a way to extend the trip to where the sear would normally be.
Here is a picture and link:

https://www.parkermountainmachine.com/product/sig-sauer-rattlervirtusmpx-full-auto-kit/
The part facing up interfaces with the bolt carrier.  So when the bolt carrier goes forward it hits that 'finger' which then interfaces the trip of full auto sear.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By amphibian:
I don't really think of it as a 'lever' as there is no 'leverage' action going on.  It is just a way to extend the trip to where the sear would normally be.
Here is a picture and link:
https://www.parkermountainmachine.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/s977620473547721020_p346_i9_w800.jpeg

https://www.parkermountainmachine.com/product/sig-sauer-rattlervirtusmpx-full-auto-kit/
The part facing up interfaces with the bolt carrier.  So when the bolt carrier goes forward it hits that 'finger' which then interfaces the trip of full auto sear.
View Quote

Transfer bar may be a better name, but same same.

Thats a lot nicer than the ones I made. But I kinda stopped working on it once it worked.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#15]

I think part of the problem of the trigger slap is the same as with some AR-15's,
View Quote
Did you look at the info and pics of the post I made above that has details on the picture below.
I think those mods should help.

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Not sure about the SIG but just started legit working for sot 07 buddy and he has a postie cz. I'll be there in a day or two if that's any help.

He wants me to convert his sico maxim 9 to fa if anyone has an STL file for testing. Moving my printer to his shop
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 8:52:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Manticore_Arms] [#18]
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#19]

@amphibian

What shot timer are you using to measure ROF?  I am actually looking for one to do just that!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@amphibian

What shot timer are you using to measure ROF?  I am actually looking for one to do just that!
I have 2.  An old PACT MKIV XP that is kind of flaky when it comes to RoF:
https://pact.com/products/shooting-timers/mkiv-xp/

The one in the picture is a Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II which appears to be discontinued: https://competitionelectronics.com/products/pocket-pro-ii
Looks like this one replaced it: https://competitionelectronics.com/products/protimer-bt
Page 13 of the manual shows it still has the RPM function: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0623/0618/9561/files/Protimer_BT_Manual_Rev7.pdf?v=1664294235  
Says it will go up to 1800 RPM.
I think the fastest I've clocked anything was my Micro UZI at 1749RPM and the the Mini UZI in closed bolt is the same.
The Maxim 9 was 'only' 1500.

Yes, I did see your post- just so I understand, the hammer is supposed to have enough clearance on the trigger and disconnect with those relief cuts that it does not contact at all, or it limits the contact?

Is the issue here that the bolt carrier is literally physically pushing the hammer into the trigger and disconnector, or is this more a hammer is getting hit so hard by the rapid rotation from contact with the bolt that it is swinging down and rebounding off of the trigger and discoonnector, and relieving it gives just a little more space for the hammer spring to de-accelerator the hammer and not make it slam into the trigger and disconnector quite as hard?
The latter, the cocking of the hammer is violent that it slams into the disconnector.  I think these mods would help with the MPX as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I helped a friend who is an SOT convert his MPX and his ran 100% on semi and full with the hammer and disconnector adjustments.

For some reason I would get a dead hammer about 1 in 3 times on semiauto, I ended up installing a heavier Wolff XP hammer spring and that solved the issue (not sure if the hammer was rebounding forward and skipping the disconnector, or maybe getting hung up and not releasing form the disconnector, but either way, the stronger hammer spring fixed it)

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote

I think I want one of those. Or need one? Any chance do you know what #'s those are? Also, thx for the education. Many appreciations.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#24]

@burntoutbarrel

If you go to the Wolff Gunsprings webstore just go through the AR-15/M-16 springs nad look for the XP hammer spring.

MidwayUSA also carries them IIRC.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Thx. I've got a small box of springs in different colors and, with humiliation, don't recall what color is what. Pretty sure most are softer. I know it's only a few $$$, somehow I've amassed quite a collection of parts I doubt I'll ever use. Thx, Sven
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#26]

LOL, I have the same type of box!

Honestly, you can usually just bend the spring legs and feel the difference.  The Wolff Xpower springs are the same color as OEM trigger srpings, they are not color coded, so that is your first hint.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Can you shed me a bit of education on what the difference is on the sears shown for sale by the Solvent Trap Store? Thx. I was looking at the mods ^^^ and the hammer looks like it would miss the bottom of a sear by the trim? So I got to wondering if I'm looking at the wrong item?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 9:12:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Manticore_Arms] [#27]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#28]
If you are referring to Amphibian's picture, from the side the M-16 hammer looks exactly the same, the rear "tooth" that hooks on the auto sear is still there, it is just cut away in the center to allow it to site like a cowboy's legs around a horse (with the horse being the disconnector that only operates on semi).  The point is to prevent the tail/tooth of the M-16 hammer from slamming into the disconnector when recocking, that is what causes the trigger slap.  It is hard to explain in words, but look for an animation of how the full auto M-16 works and it will make sense.  on semi, the projection on the mid rear of the hammer catches on the disconnector, on full auto, the rear hook/tooth on the hammer is catching on the sear as the selector pushes the disconnector out of engagement with the hammer.  

As for the disconnectors...there is no way I am going to some sketchy solvent trap webstore! you are going to need to post pics.

As I said earlier in this thread, a full auto M-16 trigger parts kit has the correct disconnector, and they are available from a number of reputable resellers.  You are going to need that trigger parts kit anyhow to get the correct selector and hammer and trigger and the auto sear  to make it all work in the first place as a post sample (I am assuming you have an FFL 07/ SOT 02, if not, don't even think about doing this!), none of the semi parts in the MPX trigger group will work.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Many appreciations. Educational purpose only.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Did you look at the info and pics of the post I made above that has details on the picture below.
I think those mods should help.

I believe this is the same FA trigger commonly used in AR platforms?
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By WhiteDingo:
View Quote

Just an FYI if any of yall look at doing this with a DIAS, the receiver has to be modified at least a little for the HiperFire trigger to fit.

I got one in to try and it needs a little material removed. I havent thrown it in the mill yet and will update after I get it fit. I have been using a DIAS with an unmodified lower until this point, so it is not milled all the way our like it would be for a normal M16 sear.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:19:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oubeta] [#32]
Moved to M16 forum
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top